RPG variety

ishfar94

I was just wondering, the uncons and the Syrians in sf2 had access to the much nastier rpg29. I was wondering why doen't the Russians have access to any better RPGs. I know the 7v2 is frontline issue but I was reading up on their equipment ages back and I remember seeing that the army had other more modern RPG, including the 29, in service along with the 7. Just asking cause the 7 is kinda bad and struggles with anything above a Stryker and you have to mass a ton of them. Also it's not very accurate unless you are really close whereas the at 6 is quite accurate, has no back blast and hits much harder.

Edited by ishfar94
Grammar

26 minutes ago, ishfar94 said:

I was just wondering, the uncons and the Syrians in sf2 had access to the much nastier rpg29. I was wondering why doen't the Russians have access to any better RPGs.

RPG-29 was adopted for Soviet Army in 1989, but there is no orders of this equipment for Russian army except maybe several specimens for testing. All RPG-29 are going for export. 

Edited by Haiduk

5 hours ago, Haiduk said:

All RPG-29 are going for export

If RPG 29 is s superior weapon it is very odd they are all going to export.  Nations generally keep the very best for themselves and export a slightly degraded version or in the US case a version that DoD knows how to sabotage if it ever gets used vs the US.  So, what is the reason if RPG 29 is so good?

The latest RPG-7 fires exactly the same warhead, albeit at half the range  Russia may be a 'superpower' but its a superpower with an economy roughly the size of Italy's. Its more 'vital to the national interest' for them to bring in overseas revenue than to upgrade their own infantry anti-tank capability. A western analogy might be Great Britain which needs to nickel-and-dime every aspect of their military procurement.

Edited by MikeyD

Here's some eye-popping video of RPG-29 use in Syria, Was unaware Russia kept none, but it seemed reasonable to posit it was too big and awkward for BMP and BTR type vehicles, never mind heavy to carry. It turns out, though, it can be disassembled like the airborne version of the US WW II bazooka. This I was completely unware of until I watched the extremely informative English language video, which revealed a great deal about this weapon, which has a tandem charge and numbers among its intended prey the US M1A2. Range is 500 meters. Empty weight is 11 kg, and the projectile adds 6 more, 17 kg, so not light. For forces consisting of mostly infantry and open bed technicals, they make much better sense, and there's no denying their potency. 

The Houthis in Yemen apparently have them, too, for I've seen video of a guy schlepping the monster across rocky terrain there. To say that big pipe on his shoulder stands out like crazy against a background fill of highly irregular in form low rocks doesn't begin to state how instantly detectable he was.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TankHunter said:

I think the issue with the RPG-29 is that it is kind of bulky and things like the BMP-2 are rather cramped inside. That might be the reason for the RPG-29 not being used by the Russians.

1. RPG-29 can be disassembled in two pieces.
  2. Russian Army has PG-7VR for close-quarters and Kornet for long-range engagements. Why add another weapon to an already well-balanced mix?

PS BTW the same warhead is also used by RPG-32. It has higher velocity than PG-7VR but lower than RPG-29. But it's comparable in length to RPG-7 with grenade attached so not as bulky as RPG-29.

Edited by IMHO

Erwin,

Went back and watched that video again. Based on what can be seen when the guy gets up and runs, I'd say he was blown out, for his uniform is heavily torn up. His jacket was blown up so high he looks decapitated, and his pants are falling down. If you watch closely, you'll see he's already on the ground before flame gouts from his hatch.

Regards,

John Kettler