Constant artillery

ishfar94

Hi,

Quick question. Is there a thing in the single player missions where the ai has access to unlimited artillery? I am playing one of the russian single player campaign thingies and the opponents(ukranians with some attached americans) seem to have constant streams of artillery everywhere i move, even when i use trees and terrain to block line of sight. This is really annoying cause i would have troops held in reserve for use later behind the front lines and suddenly arty wil start raining on them and causing vehicle losses and casualties. Now is it cause the americans might have a drone up that they are using to observe or is just something the ai is allowed to do cause it's kinda dumb when it comes to actually reacting to the player

I don't think they get unlimited artillery. But they do get quite a lot of it in some of those missions. I played through the Russian campaign and some of the missions seemed like mostly just giant artillery battles back and forth, with the infantry's only role being scouts to find the enemy, absorb enemy artillery, call in my own artillery, and then eventually advance to occupy ground already completely pulverized by artillery and/or heavy HE fire from vehicles. So much of the artillery is really high caliber too. In the later missions I remember destroying entire city blocks it seemed like.

The AI might be able to use drones to call in artillery too but I'm not 100% certain. They certainly do get roving air support that can find and target your units anywhere on the map. They might also be seeing your men from super far away with the advanced optics they get.

Throughout the campaign I learned pretty quickly to spread everyone out as far as I possibly can. I would split all squads, keep them outside of their vehicles, spread them way out and keep them hidden inside buildings as much as possible. You can also bait the AI into wasting artillery by having infantry run out into the open, stay there for a moment, then run away back to safety again. It won't take them long to start calling in rounds at where they last saw your infantry.

3 hours ago, Bozowans said:

I don't think they get unlimited artillery. But they do get quite a lot of it in some of those missions. I played through the Russian campaign and some of the missions seemed like mostly just giant artillery battles back and forth, with the infantry's only role being scouts to find the enemy, absorb enemy artillery, call in my own artillery, and then eventually advance to occupy ground already completely pulverized by artillery and/or heavy HE fire from vehicles. So much of the artillery is really high caliber too. In the later missions I remember destroying entire city blocks it seemed like.

The AI might be able to use drones to call in artillery too but I'm not 100% certain. They certainly do get roving air support that can find and target your units anywhere on the map. They might also be seeing your men from super far away with the advanced optics they get.

Throughout the campaign I learned pretty quickly to spread everyone out as far as I possibly can. I would split all squads, keep them outside of their vehicles, spread them way out and keep them hidden inside buildings as much as possible. You can also bait the AI into wasting artillery by having infantry run out into the open, stay there for a moment, then run away back to safety again. It won't take them long to start calling in rounds at where they last saw your infantry.

Any eligible AI unit that can call for fire can be used by the AI.  Therefore if there are UAVs in the AI force mix, they can be employed by the AI for that purpose.