Selling an "Intro to CMx1" course? (via Kickstarter)

This is meant as a request to the creators of the game:

Could I have permission to try to sell an unofficial "Intro to CMx1" course?  I was thinking of doing a Kickstarter and paying Nikolas Lloyd / Lindybeige to sponsor one of his videos and try to drive traffic to the Kickstarter.  I'd like permission to use footage of the game and related IP (the game manual, official screenshots, etc.).

I'm a huge fan of Combat Mission, I'd say it's one of my favorite games of all time even though I don't have as many hours into it as some other games (because I can feel stressed when I play).

I just finished creating a 24-lesson "Intro to Programming with Python" course and so I've got experience with the process of creating a course.  Lloyd gets 100,000 to 400,000 views per video, and I if I can get ~120 people to pledge $30, it would make it worth it (I have low living expenses).  If I can raise more money I'd be interested in asking Lloyd to narrate and getting Colonel Jeffrey Paulding involved (he released the best tutorials on Combat Mission I've ever seen, the "Armchair General" series).

Why CMx1: I can't play CMx2 because I only own a laptop, and CMx2 doesn't run well on it.  I also don't care about having the latest graphics and I think CMx1 looks great for what it is.

Why I think this is a good time to release this course: because CMx1 is now extremely cheap and easy to buy (on GoG), and Kickstarter now makes it easy for people to fund niche projects like this.

Here's a link to a wiki page I have on Combat Mission (mainly CMx1), I've looked around and I think it may actually be the best compilation of information on how to play CMx1 on the internet right now.

Concept for the course: it would be comprehensive, aiming to get total newbies up closer to the level of veterans of the game.  So it would not only cover the basics ("these are the controls"), but cover how to actually use proper tactics (I imagine this would be the bulk of the course), how the game differs from reality, the strategies that emerged in the community over the years (including the unrealistic / gamey / cheesing strategies), the mods and custom missions, the history of the game itself (including what's different about every release of the game, including CMx2). Basically it would take the stuff I have or link to on my wiki right now and put it in video format to be easier to consume.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Thanks for sharing the Python course!

Learned some new things already!

Best regards,
Thomm

Thank you for the kind words!  While making the course I was thinking I would try to get my friends and family to use it to learn to program, so I really tried to teach all and only the things that you'd really need to know to start working as a programmer.  It isn't a beautiful course to look at but I think the information is first rate.

Edited by nathan1776

37 minutes ago, nathan1776 said:

Thank you for the kind words!  While making the course I was thinking I would try to get my friends and family to use it to learn to program, so I really tried to teach all and only the things that you'd really need to know to start working as a programmer.  It isn't a beautiful course to look at but I think the information is first rate.

The good thing about this course is that I can listen to it while I am doing other work.

And it is quite interesting. For example, in Lesson 18 you present "PySimpleGUI". Now this is not immediately useful to me, because I have to use Tkinter. But: The wrapper I wrote for Tkinter looks like a perfect copy of PySimpleGUI. That is very reassuring, because it seems that I am on the right track.

Same with lesson 24, Automated Tests. Never heard of a doctest before! Very valuable info!

I am curious what else I will pick up from the (advanced) lessons!

Thanks again!
Thomm

56 minutes ago, Thomm said:

The good thing about this course is that I can listen to it while I am doing other work.

And it is quite interesting. For example, in Lesson 18 you present "PySimpleGUI". Now this is not immediately useful to me, because I have to use Tkinter. But: The wrapper I wrote for Tkinter looks like a perfect copy of PySimpleGUI. That is very reassuring, because it seems that I am on the right track.

Same with lesson 24, Automated Tests. Never heard of a doctest before! Very valuable info!

I am curious what else I will pick up from the (advanced) lessons!

Thanks again!
Thomm

Wow, you're really watching it!  I think you may be the first person other than my client (the guy who commissioned it) to actually watch a good chunk of the lessons.  I'll be very interested in hearing your feedback; my big worry is that I may have left things out that will make it confusing for people to follow.  You can send me a PM here or email me at nathan.wailes@gmail.com.

Just going to bump /add a link to the convo.... CMx1 related.
nathan1776 since you still like CMx1, check these two campaign generators out. You may have fun using them with CMBB and CMAK (if you haven't already of course).

Edited by Blazing 88's

11 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

Just going to bump /add a link to the convo.... CMx1 related.
nathan1776 since you still like CMx1, check these two campaign generators out. You may have fun using them with CMBB and CMAK (if you haven't already of course)

Thank you for letting me know about those!  I've added it to a list of things to cover.  If Lloyd (Lindybeige) ends up saying he's up for promoting the Kickstarter on his channel, there's a good chance I'll be spending a lot more time on these forums, soliciting ideas from people more experienced than me.

Listening to the "Distributed Version Control" Chapter right now. Again: Parallel to working, so bear with me.

You use git and SourceTree.

It would be good to mention where to get these programs and how to install them.

You mention 'VPS' on the "How Do I Use Git" slide. Did you introduce this abbreviation before?

Warning: This presentation seems to end prematurely (at "Merging Branches")

Best regards
Thomm

Where do I find more information?

The original series holds a gold spot in my heart. Played it to death, and was totally in love when they released Normandy cm2. Am a huge fan of all their work. Especially how they keep updating the engine. It's a unique game and deserves to be around. Got my fingers crossed for their plan to do early war . 🤞🤞🤞🤞. Happy to see someone love a game that isn't a Class A title. I mean to me it is... But I find the top a list games either disappointing or just so short. 

I always come back to combat mission. 

Norman.