To buy or not to buy

I would call WEGO 1 minute turns.  You and your oppo (AI or Human) make your orders and then when GO is pressed you watch the show for one minute with no ability to change anything until that 60 seconds is over.

Why most of us like WEGO is the additional challenge of having to make orders that should be good for a minute.  In RT one can pause whenever one wants and reissue orders to every friendly unit on the map instantly - which seems very unrealistic - and also makes playing anything larger than small scenarios (up to a company task force on each side) almost impossible.

37 minutes ago, landser said:

Wut? Real time with fixed pauses sounds like turns to me. Is this a commonly held viewpoint here?

I mean, if it's paused, and you can view unlimited replays how is it real time?

And not everyone plays WEGO

If the action takes place simultaneously it is not turn based. Think of chess being turn based, you both don't simultaneously move, or XCOM2 which is classed as turn-based tactical, the player makes all the moves while the AI opponent stays frozen. WEGO, Realtime, and UGOIGO aka tactical turn based. Those are the 3 types. CM definitely is WEGO switchable to Realtime.

For me, real time is the movement aspect, whether it's together or separate, but I see what you mean Landser.  So i guess this is in between turns and real time.  turn based games aren't very realistic because they are basically chess.  

21 hours ago, Erwin said:

I have to say that I have just reinstalled the original "Rome: Total War" on my Win 7 machine and it still one of the greatest games of its type.  

The one I bought was the horse and musket era.

I'd been hankering for a game similar to the stuff I used to do as a kid with toy soldiers, but the gameplay seemed so crude after playing Combat Mission. I guess this game has spoiled me. Perhaps I should give some of the other Total War titles another go...

11 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

gameplay seemed so crude after playing Combat Mission

That's why am leery about trying any game that claims to be "similar" to CM.   However, playing something completely different like Grigsby's monster WITPAE, or Rome:Total War is a nice break from CM when the inevitable burn out strikes.  I have all the GTA games from waaaay back and really need to load em up as well.

5 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Buy it. You don't need to pay 100 dollars - just choose one title and buy that. If you like it, you can always buy more modules. But the Combat Mission games are worth playing. At least one or two of them.

The best single-module purchase in my opinion is CMRT - I've had years of fun with that title. The campaigns are great; there are plenty of good scenarios and QB maps; and there's a pretty good range of forces.

Black Sea is also fun - I've enjoyed it a lot, although it's not WWII so it's my main interest. It's also rather hard...

4 minutes ago, Freyberg said:
12 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Buy it. You don't need to pay 100 dollars - just choose one title and buy that. If you like it, you can always buy more modules. But the Combat Mission games are worth playing. At least one or two of them.

The best single-module purchase in my opinion is CMRT - I've had years of fun with that title. The campaigns are great; there are plenty of good scenarios and QB maps; and there's a pretty good range of forces.

I started out with CMBN... became something of a bocage rat over the years. It's all about what kind of warfare and what era/theatre you prefer. But even though I can sometimes be very critical of the series on these forums, Combat Mission is DEFINITELY worth playing, if you have any interest in WW2 and wargames.

Just want to pipe in that not EVERYBODY prefers WeGo play. As long as scenario size is not too cumbersome I much prefer playing Realtime. I've said before that there are (at least) two forms of play. One could be called '3-D table-top wargame' and the other is 'interactive war movie'. Some people play almost exclusively from a high elevation looking down on the action. Others stay down in the weeds with the troops as much as they can. It all depends on what you're in it for.

13 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I started out with CMBN... became something of a bocage rat over the years. It's all about what kind of warfare and what era/theatre you prefer. But even though I can sometimes be very critical of the series on these forums, Combat Mission is DEFINITELY worth playing, if you have any interest in WW2 and wargames.

True - CMBN was amazing, but after all the years of enjoyment it's given me it's hard to imagine it without the Commonwealth module. That incredible package - CMBN base game plus Commonwealth - has been my most played title by far...

If you ask on this forum you are gonna get some pretty biased answers. :D 

Like a lot of grognard-style wargames, the CM games can be clunky and buggy at times, and they can be very difficult to get into. They are also challenging, slow-paced and extremely time consuming to play. I can easily spend an hour just issuing orders for a single turn, and one scenario might have dozens of turns. You have to micromanage every one of your units right down to analyzing all of their lines of sight and lines of fire, and sometimes you get a huge number of them. Some scenarios are small and easy to play, but some of them are enormous and daunting. At the beginning of a scenario, I can spend ages coming up with detailed plans and moves for every individual unit, and then once the scenario starts, I can spend even longer slowly having my units sneak around and scout ahead and get into their positions without ever seeing an enemy. With some of the larger scenarios, I can play them for hours without ever seeing any action or a single shot fired.

Some people might find that kind of gameplay very boring, but the games do have an absurd amount of detail, depth, historical accuracy and so on. Once you get into them, you can play them for years, and there really aren't any other games like them out there. They are probably still up there with some of my favorite games of all time, and I still come back to them every now and then years later. 

So whether these games are worth the steep price really depends on what type of game you're looking for. Like some others have said, download the demos. Unlike a lot of games these days, the demos for the CM games are very good and give you hours content for free. Every one of the CM games has a demo and I would suggest downloading all of them. I would suggest watching videos of it too. There are some really great video AARs out there that show off the game.

There's no spending an hour issuing orders if you play REALTIME ;). CM is as easy or as intimidating as you make it, yourself. Take scenario design, for example. Some scenario designers spend months building giant real-world maps and meticulously researching historical units for historical battles. Others plop a farmhouse next to a country road and have at it with randomly selected forces (you can probably guess which one I am).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how EDUCATIONAL CM is. Not just becoming intimately familiar with period weapons and their capabilities, or the reading details of historical battles at historical locations, there's also applying tactics straight out of field manuals.

Displacement3.jpg

manual 1.png

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how EDUCATIONAL CM is. Not just becoming intimately familiar with period weapons and their capabilities, or the reading details of historical battles at historical locations, there's also applying tactics straight out of field manuals.

MikeyD has a point!

22 hours ago, MikeyD said:

... One could be called '3-D table-top wargame' and the other is 'interactive war movie'. ...

I went off Real Time, because I think the battles I selected were just too large - but that succinct comparison has inspired me to try it again :)

Back to the original topic, the great news is there's two ways to play CM.  Try the demo, make sure you watch youtube videos, and if this is your thing get CM Normandy or Shock Force 2 big bundle, like was mentioned above.  You'll easily get your money's worth and more.  

44 minutes ago, com-intern said:

I might shy away from CM:Normandy as I believe hedgerows are still bugged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in a game where they play such a critical role I don't think I could recommend making the purchase.

Hedgerows bugged? In what sense?

6 hours ago, com-intern said:

I might shy away from CM:Normandy as I believe hedgerows are still bugged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in a game where they play such a critical role I don't think I could recommend making the purchase.

There's a minor bug in CMBN, if you consider it a bug, where sometimes (not especially often) individual soldiers will get 'stuck' in a hedgerow when their squad advances.

I don't find it especially irritating as there's a certain realism in that sort of hedgerow confusion, although this behaviour is unintentional and is due for removal.

Some forum members find this very annoying, but I find it doesn't really detract from what is the flagship - nay, the starship! - of the CM series.