How many times can we reload the game

Falaise

As for the number of activations, I've read 2, I've read 4. Keep in mind you can always ask for more using the help desk (I know that you can, but I don't know if restrictions apply or if one can only do that a given number of times).

That being said, as far as I'm aware, activations are spent to license a CM product on a given computer/parts-configuration, not on a per-install basis. 

And as for your crashes, have you been fiddling with different mods and/or game versions? 

Xorg_Xalargsky is correct, you have 4 activations per license key. You can request more activations via the Helpdesk if you run out of these. The activations only need to occur if you install on a new computer or reinstall Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling the games (on the same computer and Windows installation) typically does NOT require the use of an activation. However some hardware changes (upgrading the computer) may trigger a license problem that could require the use of an utility to wipe out the activation and then reactivating.

The crashing that you're experiencing right now, is it occurring when you initially launch CMBN and display the initial splash screen/menu ? When was the last time that the game ran properly and did you change anything about the computer since then ? With Windows 10, you CANNOT use the CMBN 1.x games. You will need to upgrade to CMBN 3.x (maybe 2.x) in order for the license activation to work. So if you upgraded in the past to CMBN 3.x or 4.x, then you may want to upgrade back to those versions before attempting to run CMBN under Windows 10.

15 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Xorg_Xalargsky is correct, you have 4 activations per license key. You can request more activations via the Helpdesk if you run out of these. The activations only need to occur if you install on a new computer or reinstall Windows. Uninstalling and reinstalling the games (on the same computer and Windows installation) typically does NOT require the use of an activation. However some hardware changes (upgrading the computer) may trigger a license problem that could require the use of an utility to wipe out the activation and then reactivating.

The crashing that you're experiencing right now, is it occurring when you initially launch CMBN and display the initial splash screen/menu ? When was the last time that the game ran properly and did you change anything about the computer since then ? With Windows 10, you CANNOT use the CMBN 1.x games. You will need to upgrade to CMBN 3.x (maybe 2.x) in order for the license activation to work. So if you upgraded in the past to CMBN 3.x or 4.x, then you may want to upgrade back to those versions before attempting to run CMBN under Windows 10.

thank you gentlemen
I removed the folder z this does not seem to have a significant effect
 these crashes are unstable
I made a backup and sometimes it crashes other times not !!!
the game takes a long time to load and categorically refuses to close
it was already produced probably because of a windows update
there has been an improvement for a time and now  it's systematic
I tried without success to recharge it
it is version 4.00 on windows 10 on the same unmodified computer
my nvidia card is blocked on the December 2017 update

If it takes a long time to launch the game, this MIGHT be a copy-protection system issue. SOMETIMES, deleting the activation with the gsClean utility (that you would need to request from the Helpdesk) for each of your games/modules and then re-activating them MIGHT fix this particular problem. Usually the most common issue is the Z folder and mods that are loaded up, though I believe this affects the scenario/campaign loading times rather than the game itself (getting to the main menu).

How long ago was CMBN last stable ? I'm not specifically aware of any Windows 10 updates that should have affected the CM games (though that may still be a possibility). What Nvidia videocard/chip do you have ? By the 'December 2017 update' I assume you have the 388.17 drivers (which have generally worked well in the past, for the videocards/chips that can use it). Usually you shouldn't need to replace this driver, but you may want to double-check that it is still the actual driver you have loaded (via Device Manager). Some Windows Updates could replace this driver with a newer one that MIGHT be causing some of the issues.

When you've reinstalled CMBN, have you used the 'all-in-one' installer or have you installed via individual games and patches ? If you haven't used the all-in-one installer (which is usually downloaded as the '4.0 Upgrade'), you may want to use that to install CMBN. You would want to backup any saved games/in-progress games, mods and downloaded scenarios/campaigns and then delete the CMBN folder in your Documents folder. Then reinstall using the all-in-one installer. You should NOT have to reactivate anything as the activations will remain in place (unless the copy-protection system determines your system is somehow different from when you originally activated the games/modules/upgrades). Check that everything you have is activated by checking the icons that show up in the lower left hand corner of the main menu (which appear only when you initially load up the game). There should be an icon for each game/module that you have (and the version should be 4.02).

Thank you guys
It takes a little over 1 minute to get to the main menu, double that of CM Italy
I use version 388.71 for my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 card all the following versions systematically block the game
I reinstall from the CD
I don't want version 4.02, I tested and uninstalled it because of the hedge problem.
Maybe the problem comes from the because it corresponds to the period when the troubles started
The problem appeared on June 21, 2019 I had a windows update at this period

I'm still confused as to the nature of your crashing. Does this happen ALL OF THE TIME ? If so at what point does it happen, such as when you are simply launching CMBN or when you're attempting to load a scenario or does it happen only with certain scenarios or save games ? Does it happen in a specific game that you're playing ? Or does it happen randomly, where you're able to play any number of turns (assuming you're playing turn-based mode) and it suddenly crashes ? 

Reading some other threads that you've written in, it appears that you have the DVD of the CMBN 4.0 installer (and not just the 'Upgrade 4.0' installer). This would mean that this copy of CMBN was purchased after the 4.0 Upgrade was released (so a purchase of CMBN and not simply a '4.0 Upgrade'). The difference would be that the Upgrade would NOT have all of the files necessary to run the game. Do you own any other modules or packs or simply just the base game ?

I can't find anything specific in the June 2019 Windows Updates for Windows 10 that would relate to a problem with CM. I'm also not aware of any strange interaction with these updates and the Nvidia 388.71 driver, however either of these MIGHT be possible.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:39 AM, Schrullenhaft said:

I'm still confused as to the nature of your crashing. Does this happen ALL OF THE TIME ? If so at what point does it happen, such as when you are simply launching CMBN or when you're attempting to load a scenario or does it happen only with certain scenarios or save games ? Does it happen in a specific game that you're playing ? Or does it happen randomly, where you're able to play any number of turns (assuming you're playing turn-based mode) and it suddenly crashes ? 

Reading some other threads that you've written in, it appears that you have the DVD of the CMBN 4.0 installer (and not just the 'Upgrade 4.0' installer). This would mean that this copy of CMBN was purchased after the 4.0 Upgrade was released (so a purchase of CMBN and not simply a '4.0 Upgrade'). The difference would be that the Upgrade would NOT have all of the files necessary to run the game. Do you own any other modules or packs or simply just the base game ?

I can't find anything specific in the June 2019 Windows Updates for Windows 10 that would relate to a problem with CM. I'm also not aware of any strange interaction with these updates and the Nvidia 388.71 driver, however either of these MIGHT be possible.

cmb has been working oddly since June
these last times it does not close any more and I have to force the closing. The loading time becomes longer (arriving at the main menu)
and now it happens to crash
the game i have is the cmbn 4.00 version with all the modules, on cd, i use the 4.00 version because it does not support version 4.02 because of the hedgerow bug
I have the full version of CMITALY up to R2V which works perfectly.
I will try to remove cmbn and reinstall it to see if things get better
I will keep you posted
thank you for you time