Fire and Rubble Update

BFCElvis

1 hour ago, Macisle said:

Oh, I know. That's the way I am with my screenshots. You probably know it, but a good trick for maxing screenie detail is to frame your shot, zoom in all the way, make sure you're on best graphic settings, and then back out just enough to get the frame you wanted again. I find that allows more detail to stay in the shot than the normal method. For example, defoliated trees that would normally lose their branches at a certain view distance will keep them longer if you use the above technique. I use it for all my screenshots.

You inspired me!!!!!! I went back through my old emails from Phil and found this:

"Just press Shift-Alt-Ctrl, then it’ll make everything “perfect” for ten seconds or so."

I just tried it and it works perfectly!!! (you can't imagine how happy this makes me)

15 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Here's another angle to show them a little better (just not as artsy of a shot). I haven't used one of these guys yet but I have heard reports on fausts bouncing off of the "bed springs".

(Also, you'll notice in this that the TC isn't positioned correctly yet...as with the SU-100.That's why they're called Betas)

different angle.png

Great stuff!

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

Off the top of my head they are adapting combat mission as a training tool for the British Army.

Hmmm.  In order to be a true training tool it would need two things that we don't currently have:

1. True multiplayer.

2. A realism setting higher than Iron.

Would that these make it into CMx3...

We really have no idea what The British Army intends to use CM for and what changes they required, nor would BFC ever tell us. I would bet the British Army already has sims that accomplish those 2 features. I recall the US Army was using CMSF One as a training tool for logistics officers just to show them how much freaking ordinance was expended in a battle.  If side projects increase BFC's financial health I'm all for it, even though it causes delays for our stuff. I just hope there's no financial penalty to them if the side project runs late because BFC used Steve time in providing an estimate as to when the side project would be done. :)

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

That said, how common was use of grating like that on late war Soviet AFVs ?

I have seen a few pictures of it from the Berlin operation, but not much before that. It was a reaction to the massive increase in "Faustniks" that they saw when entering built up areas in Eastern Germany.

35 minutes ago, Ts4EVER said:

I have seen a few pictures of it from the Berlin operation, but not much before that.  

Excellent point! One of the comments when @MikeyD and I were going over which vehicles to use for the  screenshots he mentioned that  the version of the T34-83 (T34-85 M1944 Latest) should only be used in Berlin. I probably shouldn't have done the picture in the deep snow. Without getting into too much detail (it is likely to change so no sense getting too detailed), it's available a lot more in both time and geographic location than the spring of 1945 Germany. It would surprise me if the availability wasn't tightened up before release.

There's this longstanding myth that as a CM title approaches release the game gets fully finished then it sits there as admin work gets done. That's not the case. The title gets worked on, massaged, and prepped, right up to the very end. An example: We thought we were sitting pretty with Fire and Rubble when Steve said 'I think I want 'Weapon X' included too'. Wait, what? Then comes the scramble to produce the module, texture it, and place it into the TO&E. That was followed by 'I think I want 'Vehicle Z' included too'. Wait, what? more scrambling. Soviet partisans were a similar late arrival. So there's no 'finished' module being held back . Its a living organism, much like that monster from 'The Thing' that just grows and grows.

22 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

You inspired me!!!!!! I went back through my old emails from Phil and found this:

"Just press Shift-Alt-Ctrl, then it’ll make everything “perfect” for ten seconds or so."

I just tried it and it works perfectly!!! (you can't imagine how happy this makes me)

I tried this in RT and FB and couldn't get it to work.

Just now, Macisle said:

I tried this in RT and FB and couldn't get it to work.

HHmmmm.....I tried it with RT before I posted it yesterday. Try viewing a map from a bit of a distance and doing it. Then all of the low level graphics in the background should pop.

15 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

HHmmmm.....I tried it with RT before I posted it yesterday. Try viewing a map from a bit of a distance and doing it. Then all of the low level graphics in the background should pop.

Just tried again in RT on a medium map looking from one corner diagonally across to the other corner, but no joy.

Steve posted this on another thread, which clarifies BFCElvis's necessarily cryptic statements here.

The longer answer is we have been sidetracked by an immediate need for our contract with the British MoD.  They have a fiscal year ending and that always means rushing to get stuff done with money in hand before it goes *poof* at the end of the year.  The work they requested has to be finished by the end of March and so we've switched over to that as our primary focus for the last 3-4 weeks and for the rest of March.

The good news is during the (relatively brief) pause additional module scenario are being concocted. MoD isn't distracting the Fire and Rubble Beta crew because even they haven't seen what BFC is doing for MoD! :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Steve posted this on another thread, which clarifies BFCElvis's necessarily cryptic statements here.

The good news is during the (relatively brief) pause additional module scenario are being concocted. MoD isn't distracting the Fire and Rubble Beta crew because even they haven't seen what BFC is doing for MoD! :ph34r:

'so we've switched over to that as our primary focus for the last 3-4 weeks and for the rest of March' seems to suggest otherwise, but yeah, everything is relative, I guess. 🤔 Especially when you talk about a period of almost 6 years.

Fall 2020. My bet.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 2/27/2020 at 5:20 PM, BFCElvis said:

I set the ground to Deep Snow.

This is not DEEP snow even for Poland/Germany weather conditions. Knee-deep level for man or 1/3-1/2 of track diameter would be better. And the cart's wheels are not sunk in the snow %)  

Its not the graphical representation of deep snow that counts but its effect on gameplay. First, it erases all of the roads on the map, even railroads and highways (which is startling when you first look at the scenario map). It also alters the contours of the terrain. Plus it exhaust troops trying to move across it. CMFB and CMFI both have a 'deep snow' option but you rarely see it used because its a frickin' PITA to fight across. Its one of those extreme setting the game offers like muddy terrain, heavy winds, downpour and blizzard that's there to show you why you shouldn't be conducting military operations under such conditions! :o

True, but that may be much more difficult to render visually with the engine. I think movement of both vehicles and men become as difficult as snow that deep would actually cause vis-a-vis bogging and tiredness even though it may not look like it.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:22 AM, MikeyD said:

We thought we were sitting pretty with Fire and Rubble when Steve said 'I think I want 'Weapon X' included too'. Wait, what? Then comes the scramble to produce the module, texture it, and place it into the TO&E. That was followed by 'I think I want 'Vehicle Z' included too'. Wait, what? more scrambling.

0000031174.jpg