Vanishing Radios

Liveload

Hi all,

I've run into an issue where squad radios just mysteriously vanish . I've traced one of the triggers of this behavior to the Platoon HQ element. It seems that mounting/dismounting the HQ during setup or as a part or importing a core units file, breaks the radios for the whole platoon. It doesn't seem to matter much which nations troops are used when this issue crops up. Just wondering if this is a known issue or if there's some magic work around, because no matter what I do, once the radios are gone, there's no way to get them to come back without redoing the TO&E/OOB

Edited by Liveload

That is a very interesting observation & might explain a few grumbles I've heard here & there... wasn't there a number of complaints about the Dutch lacking radios for instance?

I have to admit I've stopped even looking for the 'radio icon' but I will definitely be looking out for this from now on.

I am able to most easily replicate the issue with Syrian Airborne and a BMP 1. I can start a new battle in the editor, go to units and purchase a Syrian Airborne Infantry Battalion. Pick one of the infantry platoons and add a single BMP 1 to it. Select Deploy (blue/red) and then move that platoon HQ in and out of the BMP while checking the radio icons for the squads in that platoon. The radios vanish every time.

Edited by Liveload

21 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

I am not at my pc, but couldn't this mean, that they use the vehicle-radio, when inside of this vehicle?

greetings, alex

No, not at all. Some screenshots are obviously in order to explain this better.

qq1tKIg.png

One Squad Syrian AB + 1 BMP 1 added

L1RkrzZ.png

Going to the Deploy forces screen from within the editor shows the HQ already in the BMP,  radio icon visible.

xxNpkUV.png

2nd Squad - Radio Icon Visible

6NLohea.png

3rd Squad - Radio Icon Visible

wgmgIb0.png

HQ moved out of BMP to the ground nearby - Radio Icon Visible

wC1PpF4.png

2nd Squad's radio has vanished - Radio Icon Not Visible

4ziMpD4.png

3rd Squad's radio has vanished - Radio Icon Not Visible

See what happens if you put the HQ back in the BMP or if the HQ is out of line of sight of the infantry (behind a wall or a hill or something). It might take a second or two for the C2 icons to update when you move them.

As a guess, everyone still has their radios but because they can now see the Pl HQ, they're now relying on visual signals in preference to the radio. IIRC, the icons at the bottom just indicate the means of contact that are being used, its not like an inventory.

Just now, Hapless said:

See what happens if you put the HQ back in the BMP or if the HQ is out of line of sight of the infantry (behind a wall or a hill or something). It might take a second or two for the C2 icons to update when you move them.

As a guess, everyone still has their radios but because they can now see the Pl HQ, they're now relying on visual signals in preference to the radio. IIRC, the icons at the bottom just indicate the means of contact that are being used, its not like an inventory.

No that's not the case, once the radios are gone, they're gone. Only verbal coms afterwards. You can monkey with the HQ and vehicles all you want after they disappear and it doesn't return the radios. You can try it yourself in the editor, just make the map big enough to put the squad out of LOS and you'll see.

• 1 year later...

I haven't played with the editor, but I have noticed some pretty random radio stuff, for example noticing FOs not having radios is always funny :).

Looking at the soldier models they have radios, but the radio icon seems to come and go.

I would prefer if a unit has a radio or PDA, it would be greyed out when not in use, for example if the unit is running full speed etc. if that sort of thing could be implemented in future.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem with US infantry as well, squads and platoon HQs will lose radio contact with each other and company HQs.

Is there anything in the manual or an excel spreadsheet somewhere detailing who has a radio and who doesn't in formations?