New Mini-Campaign/Scenario: Alarmeinheiten

Alarmeinheiten (Alarm unit) is an almost complete new scenario for CMRT.  It is actually a mini-campaign but with only one actual, three hour long, battle scenario.  The first scenario is a “choice” scenario where the player is able to choose some of the vehicles he will command in the “real” battle scenario.  It includes ammo dumps so it is recommended to play on Iron or Elite. 

Description: Command a German alarm unit (Alarmeinheiten).  Maneuver the alarm unit in multiple attacks and counter attacks across a 13½ square km map.  Axis vs Soviet AI only.    

The original idea was to attempt to get many of the rare and seldom seen vehicles into the scenario.  Upon reviewing the scenario @Sgt.Squarehead pointed out that while it might be fun it would not be realistic to have so many different rare and limited vehicles fighting together in the same units on the same section of front at the same time.  As a result, the “choice” scenario was created.  The player can choose mostly standard and common vehicles or many limited and rare vehicles.  The three hour long battle scenario will then be fought with the choice made in the first scenario.  The four AI plans are the same for both.  Only some of the player's vehicles are different depending on the choice.                

The scenario was inspired by @theforger excellent CMFB Mission to Maas scenario which I recommend.  See link below.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-final-blitzkrieg/cmfb-mission-to-maas-v2/

The map used for the scenario is a modified Der Ring Der Five Panzer map made by @George MC.  George gave permission to use his map which is about 13 square kilometers.  Der Ring Der Five Panzer is an excellent scenario which is so huge it plays like a static campaign.  I recommend this scenario.  See link below.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-red-thunder/cm-red-thunder-add-ons-scenarios/der-ring-der-5-panzer-division/

The scenario currently has three of four AI plans completed.  It also has placeholders for partisan units and an SS unit.  It should be ready for release soon after CMRT Fire & Rubble is released. 

Some of the recent screenshots posted in the CMRT screenshot thread have come from testing this scenario.  Below are a few more screenshots.

A dust trail from the alarmeinheiten on the move responding to a Battle Position in danger of being overrun.

SJOJFpyh.jpg

Elements of the alarmeinheiten approaching the assembly area prior to a counter attack to relieve a besieged Battle Position. 

ttQaSafh.jpg

The campaign/scenario currently has three recommended mods.  They have been tagged so will not show up in other scenarios. @benpark foliage helmets and @Fuser Aris Faces Mod CMRT.  Below are the links.

benpark helmets

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cmbn-infantry/cmrt-cmbn-benparks-german-field-foliage-helmet-mod/

Aris Faces

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=483

The third mod just removes some of the German helmets so Aris Faces Mod is more obvious.  The downside is that all German helmet chin straps disappear.  So the end result is fewer, but better, German helmets and a more battle worn look for the hard pressed German troops.  I will post the “remove some helmets” mod at CMMODS IV closer to release.  Below are some screenshots of the three mods working together.  

GFbt7AIh.jpg

9FToh7Bh.jpg

hiqZsMch.jpg

tE6q1mjh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

16 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

Really looking forward to this!  😀

One thing I have noticed is that there are more scenarios and campaigns that are only German against Soviet AI.  Will we be seeing more of Soviet vs German AI in Fire and Rubble?

It's typically easier to design a scenario with the AI on defense, and I think we'll see plenty of Russian attacks in this module. 

6 hours ago, Commanderski said:

Really looking forward to this!  😀

One thing I have noticed is that there are more scenarios and campaigns that are only German against Soviet AI.  Will we be seeing more of Soviet vs German AI in Fire and Rubble?

All scenarios bundled with CM titles must be playable both sides vs the AI and H2H so you will at least get some scenarios that you can play as the Red Army.  Not sure about campaigns - releases generally have one campaign per side so there should be a Red Army campaign but I haven't checked the bones thread for a bit so not sure about that.

Otherwise - it is all down to those who make user-made content.  It seems most prefer to do German player vs Red Army AI scenarios/campaigns.  Most of the stuff that I see is fairly closely linked to historical actions and this probably explains why German content is more common than Red Army content.  German actions are a lot easier to research.

1 hour ago, wadepm said:

What's the ETA on this thing?  Sounds really good...

Probably a week or two after Fire & Rubble is released.  There are currently place holders for the partisans and an SS unit.   Also might want to add a few of the new vehicles that come with Fire & Rubble.  Then run quick tests again on the four AI plans to make sure nothing was broke by the unit swap, vehicle addition.  

From the briefing: 

Partisans are active in the AO and often attack rear area logistics and ambush convoys.  The Partisans use local villages as a base of operations.  Friendly units will often pass through villages with partisans and have no contact.  However, the commander must always be on guard for the time the partisans are triggered to emerge and cause havoc.  

Partisan clearing operation.

JhXMxRFh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Running through AI Plan #4 with a new mod by @Aquila-SmartWargames

The mod can be found at http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135382-custom-3d-models-and-mods-compilation/?do=findComment&comment=1814323

IB1p4Csh.jpg

fxHgdtVh.jpg

I think I like it best with shaders off (Hotkey: Alt-R).  I play with shaders on but when I take a screenshot with this mod I temporarily turn the shaders off.  Below is with shaders on. 

0O9q9wRh.jpg

10 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Running through AI Plan #4 with a new mod by @Aquila-SmartWargames

The mod can be found at http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135382-custom-3d-models-and-mods-compilation/?do=findComment&comment=1814323

IB1p4Csh.jpg

fxHgdtVh.jpg

I think I like it best with shaders off (Hotkey: Alt-R).  I play with shaders on but when I take a screenshot with this mod I temporarily turn the shaders off.  Below is with shaders on. 

0O9q9wRh.jpg

Spectacular! Always wanted something like this!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

Was already expected this from him

It is basically done.  There are currently place holders for the partisans and an SS unit.  I need Fire & Rubble to be released to add these two new unit types.  Also might want to add a few of the new vehicles that come with Fire & Rubble.  Then run quick tests again on the four AI plans to make sure nothing was broke by the unit swap, vehicle addition.  

The Alarmeinheiten waiting for orders to move out.   

wIujFFbh.jpg

And fight in this Area of Operations (AO).

ASzoyFNh.jpg

Campaign Screen. 

While this mini-campaign was being created an interesting forum topic was under discussion about The Panzergrenadier Commandments.  I included a modified version of The Panzergrenadier Commandments in the operational map area of the campaign briefing.  A player can refer back to these commandments and see if any of them might apply to the various situations he finds himself in.  I attempted to modify the commandments to better fit the Combat Mission game environment.  Any misinterpretations, mistakes, bad advice etc. contained in the modified version is my fault  :P  😎.  They can, of course, be completely ignored.  I thought it was interesting to attempt to follow them during testing.  At the very bottom is a link to the original forum topic.

6krwI1hh.jpg

The original forum topic on Panzergrenadiers.