Effective ranges for Bazookas and PzSchrecks?

In the game, the range for the bazooka is about 160m, and for the Panzerschreck it's 200m.

I was surprised to read on the Wikipedia that the effective range for the Schreck was actually 150m. Googling around a bit, I found that the Encyclopedia Britannica agrees that the range for the Schreck was 150m, and 110m for the Bazooka.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/bazooka

https://www.britannica.com/technology/Panzerschreck

I guess a lot comes down to what one considers an "effective" range. But in the game at least, the PzSchreck quite often hits at the maximum of 200m. The Bazooka also scores some hits at 160m, but seems less accurate at its max range.

So maybe the game is actually a bit generous with these weapons and their ranges?

Edited by Bulletpoint

Interesting. I might start out reading those in game numbers but I try to use these weapons based on my in game experience. For me that means I try to hold Shrecks to 150m and try to get them to 125m before using them if at all possible. For Bazookas I normally don't let them fire over 100m and try to get them under 90m.

2 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

I feel like firing a crude rocket at even the length of a football field, much less over twice that, to hit a vehicle sized target would not be easy or consistent.

+1.  

My in game ranges are:  Bazooka 90 meters (12 AS).  Panzershreck 120 meters (15 AS).  

I don't know about the RL effective ranges. 

30 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

I saw a Paratrooper in Fortress Italy arc, like legit lob a Bazooka's rocket into one of those Italian Fiat-17s from 250m away once. It was awesome, an absolutely crazy shot. 

Unfortunately, I get that a lot with both Zooks & Shrecks ...

I usually keep bazookas and PIATs to 100m, or less if I think I'll only get one shot - I've never had much luck at longer ranges.

But I often get hit by Shreks at up to 150m+, occasionally 200m, but usually only if I'm playing against the SS or something. With infantry around, or high quality tanks crews, AT weapons only sometimes get a second shot.

1 hour ago, SimpleSimon said:

I saw a Paratrooper in Fortress Italy arc, like legit lob a Bazooka's rocket into one of those Italian Fiat-17s from 250m away once. It was awesome, an absolutely crazy shot. 

I'm in a game of Fortress Italy where my US opponent shot a bazooka at my Fiat-17 with a range of well under 100 meters and missed. Just because the targets are well within range or even at max range doesn't always guarantee a hit.

Well, I couldnt help myself, so I set up a test:

10 Panzerschreck teams (all veteran) vs 10 immobilized Shermans facing away from the Panzerschrecks, set up in "firing lanes" divided by walls, so each team could only engage "their own" Sherman. Distance: 195-200 metres.

I ran the test three times, so in total I tested 30 schrecks vs 30 Shermans.

Result:
Hit with first shot:                             5 teams
Hit with second shot:                       10 teams
Hit with third shot:                             8 teams
Hit with fourth shot:                           4 teams
Hit with fifth shot:                              1 team
Hit with sixt shot:                               0 teams
No hits with any of the six shots:      2 teams

cm%20normandy.exe%20Screenshot%202020.02

Edited by umlaut

3 hours ago, umlaut said:

Well, I couldnt help myself, so I set up a test:

10 Panzerschreck teams (all veteran) vs 10 immobilized Shermans facing away from the Panzerschrecks, set up in "firing lanes" divided by walls, so each team could only engage "their own" Sherman. Distance: 195-200 metres.

I ran the test three times, so in total I tested 30 schrecks vs 30 Shermans.

Result:
Hit with first shot:                             5 teams
Hit with second shot:                       10 teams
Hit with third shot:                             8 teams
Hit with fourth shot:                           4 teams
Hit with fifth shot:                              1 team
Hit with sixt shot:                               0 teams
No hits with any of the six shots:      2 teams

cm%20normandy.exe%20Screenshot%202020.02

Wow !..that's is Very High % Hit-Chance...Maybe, BF is using Russian RPG-7 as it's standard Hit-Chance, and forgot to dumb it down a bit for WWII :-(  

21 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Wow !..that's is Very High % Hit-Chance...Maybe, BF is using Russian RPG-7 as it's standard Hit-Chance, and forgot to dumb it down a bit for WWII 😞  

In 1976 the US Army estimated the first shot hit probability for a Soviet RPG-7.

RPG.jpg.1c3ac7197dd00abaf9c20d4b13ab727f.jpg

Panzerschrecks and Bazookas were fairly accurate weapons. The US Ordinance manual lists the dispersion for the M6A3 Bazooka rocket as 6 mils, which comes out to about 1.6 meters at 300 yards (274 meters), so accuracy was dependent on the operator. Real world combat accuracy is anyone's guess, but the in-game results don't strike me as unbelievable.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

22 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Wow !..that's is Very High % Hit-Chance...Maybe, BF is using Russian RPG-7 as it's standard Hit-Chance, and forgot to dumb it down a bit for WWII 😞  

They were veteran teams firing at a stationary target, so a 50% hit rate within two shots doesn't seem unreasonable.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:49 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

My in game ranges are:  Bazooka 90 meters (12 AS).  Panzershreck 120 meters (15 AS).

I see you like to risk those longer ranged shots.

My understanding is that if the tank fills your entire sight picture, then it's impossible to miss. Like the side of a barn.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an account from a German who barely survived a direct hit on his bunker on D-Day that a Panzerschreck guy, a real pro,  got three hits in a row on three different British tanks coming up the road from the beach at 200 meters. The Landser witnessed this but decided to contue his retreat. Believe he reported the other tanks wiped out the intrepid Panzerschreck man. That's in the excellent D-Day Through German Eyes by Eckhertz. Would also note Patton issued an order to his entire Third Army that, because of myriad wasted shots at longer ranges, the bazooka NOT be used against targets farther away than 40 yards. He viewed the bazooka as a last ditch weapon to prevent the infantry from being overrun by the Panzers.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler