Non combatants in SF

While not needed for the force on force fights....non combatants (both in vehicles and on foot) would be really really cool if included in CM3 or somehow written into the current game. No doubt this has been discussed since day one of SF1 but as I just started playing SF2 it is the first time I've encountered insurgents since my aborted attempt at SF1 nearly a decade ago. Non combatants could be used in partisan scenarios or 'evacuate the civilians' in WW2 as well. Not just unarmed squads btw. Just sayin'.

As I understand it from older discussions (this came up years ago), for philosophical reasons and I think also for brand image, BF has chosen not to include non-coms similarly to the way they have no 'blood & guts' when troops are killed - that to make this 'part of the fun' would be in bad taste and goes against their ethos.

Perhaps I have misstated it, but that was how I understood it.

53 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

for philosophical reasons and I think also for brand image, BF has chosen not to include non-coms similarly to the way they have no 'blood & guts' when troops are killed

You are correct.

@Attilaforfun, Shock force does have a civilian density setting that simulates the effect of civilians being present. Set high it makes the non uniformed enemy units harder to spot. This means if the enemy move in non threatening ways they can remain unnoticed for longer and get closer. Spys in particular benefit from this.

Edit to add - you may well have already been aware of this but for completeness for other reading...

Edited by IanL

22 hours ago, Attilaforfun said:

non combatants (both in vehicles and on foot) would be really really cool if included in CM3 

Non combatants could be used in partisan scenarios or 'evacuate the civilians' in WW2 as well. 

I agree.  However, I don't know if we will ever see non-combatants in CM.  A work around is to use the un-armed spies as non-combatants.  Several scenarios have used this approach.  Below is a link to one such scenario where you must evacuate non-combatants (spies) from a consulate that is under siege (a little bit like Bengazi).  It was originally made for CMSF1 but works in CMSF2.  

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/consulate-evacuation/

56 minutes ago, Falcon_the_Slut said:

Sounds cool, but kind of confusing - how are people supposed to know which CMSF1 missions/campaigns work with CMSF2?

They all work mate the difference between a converted and an unconverted scenario will often be cosmetic - in CMSF1 people mocked up rivers using marsh tiles and bridges using embanked roads, whereas proper water and bridges exist in CMSF2.  AI plans done in CMSF1 will work but they will be more rudimentary because there were no facing commands, no targeting commands, no triggers and there were fewer AI slots plus a whole heap of other bits and pieces.  UAVs, MANPADs and SAFire were all introduced in CMSF2 so those units won't be present in CMSF1 made scenarios/campaigns and any CMSF1 campaign/mission that has a AAA unit like a ZU-23/2 will see it engage aircraft in CMSF2 which it would not have done in CMSF1 and could thus bring unintended effects because the original designer would not have legislated for that contingency.

I've converted three of my original CMSF1 missions to CMSF2 (two form part of the British campaign which is being updated), one (Op BARRAS) is available at the Scenario Depot and the other mission I converted, which was originally done by @MarkEzra, bundled with the CMSF2 upgrade (Britain's Joy).  The changes I made to all of those missions were limited.  I think the only change I made to Op BARRAS was to swap marsh for water tiles, the two campaign missions benefitted from some trigger-related trickery with indirect fire for on-map mortars and Britain's Joy involved some tinkering around with the map and again some trigger-related trickery with on-map mortars.