mods zur Normandie Front

Falaise

Here is a mod for the 1st Polish Armored Division.

200128115103661802.jpg

The 1st Polish Armored Division was engaged in Normandy from August 1944.

She fought in the plain of Caen Falaise before becoming famous during the battle of the Falaise pocket, then she continued her journey through the north of France, Belgium, Holland and finished her race at Wilhelmshaven in May 45.

Each regiment is distinguished by its collar badge.

The basic game offers us the 10th dragon which is the motorized infantry regiment of the division.

However there is a small problem… the 10th Dragon to show that  its was a motorized unit wears in combat the cotton outfit without any badge other than that of rank.

In addition to the 10th dragon in cotton uniform, I added the 3 infantry battalions and the reconnaissance unit

The 3 infantry battalions: Podhale, 8th, 9th Chasseur and the 10th PSK( reconnaissance unit), wear the wool battledress with distinctive collar badge.

These units also carry a black epaulet on the left shoulder

This epaulette specific to the 1st Polish DB is a historical reminder.

The 1st DB was born in Scotland during the war of the 10th armored brigade which is the 1st Polish mechanized formation. During the Polish campaign this unit wore a black leather jacket. Commanded by General Maczek, it inflicted heavy losses on the Germans, despite its weakness, which soon nicknamed it the schwarze brigade. It is to preserve this memory that the wearing of the black epaulette will become generalized throughout the division.

I also removed the MK3 helmet which was not worn by the division during the conflict

(Aragorn will not like it… 😁)

10th Dragoon

200129120230392220.jpg

10th PSK

200128115056616850.jpg

200128115101434754.jpg

8th bataillon

200128115052147349.jpg

Podhale

200128115058809127.jpg

9th batallion

200128115052444731.jpg

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Mk 2, Mk 3... All the WW2 Brit helmets look the same to me as they did in WW1. :(   What is the difference?

They are very distinct
Here with net the MK3 and without net the MK2

200129112147610349.jpg
In Normandy only the units having taken by landing on the beaches have it.
The 3rd British ID the 3rd Canadian ID.
The 50th ID, it has only the MK2, but it should not initially landed on the beach, it replaces at the last moment the 49th which is therefore also equipped with the MK3
For an unknown reason (from me) the 53rd also perceives some MK3
The mixing is done as the reinforcements arrive because they are generally equipped with the MK2

Edited by Falaise

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 11:59 PM, Falaise said:

I also removed the MK3 helmet which was not worn by the division during the conflict

(Aragorn will not like it… 😁)

My dear Falaise, i like everything you make. 

good news Aragorn
if I am sure that the Belgians of Piron were equipped with MK3 (the artillery unit at least)
nothing indicates that the "Princess Irene" did not have one...
so I leave the Mk 3 to the Dutch

Royal Netherlands Motorized Infantry Brigade

Princess Irene Brigade

200214104959859157.jpg

20021410500087441.jpg

200214105001147254.jpg

thanks guys
I still have helmets with a Belgian badge to make
if someone who masters the creation of scenario can do one for each of these unit often forgotten but which we remember well here in Normandy.
For these of the great generation who are disappearing and whose  we must by all means including the game keep the memory

• 2 weeks later...

It is still a great topic of discussion for Normandy.
In Italy the British, Canadian, New Zealanders, South Africans, and Indians have pooled equipment and uniforms
so in Normandy in the sectors held by the 50th DI and the 51st Di we find equipment from all these different nations, South African helmets with holes for the neckband are the best example. For the end of the war, I saw a battledress of the 5th British DI found in Germany of Indian manufacture !!! but once again it is about unity coming from Italy
in Normandy a priori the same type of mixture should  be to found
but the "field" finds do not prove it, each nation seeming to be attached to using equipment of national confection