Heavy Artillery vs. AFVs

From what I've seen heavy artillery has no effect on tanks in terms of knocking them out.  Can they immobilize them?  What about killing a commander when the tank is "opened up"?  Can they destroy or wipe out the crew of AFVs like a Wespe or other AFV where the crew is not in an armoured turret? 

Artillery can have an effect on AFVs, but it's not very effective. It'll absolutely degrade systems, hurt exposed crew and immobilise armour, but it's rare to score a killing hit with one in-game. That's probably under-modelled.

The reason to do it anyway, particularly with mortars, is to kill tank commanders or get them to button up.

Actually, I did some testing to see how effective arty is in WWII

vs the same size arty in CMSF

My test was to run armor through arty barrages and see how effective it was. There was no point targeting envolved.

I was actually very pleased with how much armor was damaged in the WWII test.  A few lucky kills and many more immobilized.

The modern era stuff , the tanks were pretty immune.

Of course there is precision arty that is very effective vs stationary tanks in the new era stuff.

But in general, the results looked pretty realistic in the testing I done to what I understand for what one should expect.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:39 PM, CanuckGamer said:

From what I've seen heavy artillery has no effect on tanks in terms of knocking them out. 

They certainly can:

Actually getting a hit with WW2 artillery is difficult and some luck helps but there are some examples posted.

Can they immobilize them? 

Yes, this is a much more likely outcome of a large area barrage on enemy tanks. The hit needs to be pretty close but I definitely have seen and experienced it.

What about killing a commander when the tank is "opened up"? 

Oh yes that happens for sure. The button up faster in later versions of the game but if they are looking out when the shells start it can happen.

Can they destroy or wipe out the crew of AFVs like a Wespe or other AFV where the crew is not in an armoured turret? 

Heck yeah.

There's been some lively discussion of this over the years. I think generally there can be improvements in mission killing AFVs with indirect fires. Radio antennas, anything stowed externally, optics, tracks, and so on are not going to react well to being hit by fragmentation. Within the AFV near misses will obviously effect crew morale but might also damage sensitive equipment or otherwise cause end of mission for an AFV.

The more modern AFVs have more sensitive optics, sensors and electronics as well so while the Abrams may not be a smoking wreck, it will be severely degraded in effectiveness.

m1a2citv.jpg

From what I've seen heavy artillery has no effect on tanks in terms of knocking them out.  Can they immobilize them?  What about killing a commander when the tank is "opened up"?  Can they destroy or wipe out the crew of AFVs like a Wespe or other AFV where the crew is not in an armoured turret? 

Yes, play enough and you will see this. I just lost a StuG III to a 122mm round that crashed through its roof testing a scenario I made yesterday. 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, DougPhresh said:

I think generally there can be improvements in mission killing AFVs with indirect fires. Radio antennas, anything stowed externally, optics, tracks, and so on are not going to react well to being hit by fragmentation.

All those get readily damaged by HE in the game. If anything, those subsystems are modelled as being too vulnerable. And not only talking about large HE going off nearby. Radio and optics seem to degrade quite quickly when relatively small metal slugs bounce off the front hull. It seems to be based on a simplified hitpoints system, rather than a point of impact model.

If I had to complain about arty vs armor, it would be the modern games do not create enough immobilization in my book. The wwII tanks go down pretty good to it as to at least being immobilized.  I would love to hear why a modern tank would hold up any better to it as to getting track damage and such. 

That is where I think it lacks any correct outcome.

5 hours ago, slysniper said:

If I had to complain about arty vs armor, it would be the modern games do not create enough immobilization in my book. The wwII tanks go down pretty good to it as to at least being immobilized.  I would love to hear why a modern tank would hold up any better to it as to getting track damage and such. 

That is where I think it lacks any correct outcome.

Nope. I've seen tankers in waist deep mud trying to deal with tracks, I'm going to say they are probably just as vulnerable to battle damage.