Searching camo patterns

8 hours ago, Scipio said:

Thanks for this, but before the topic mutates to something different ;-): I'm really looking for vehicel camouflage

How specific do the patterns need to be and of what size? This site covers all tanks and provide images of many camo versions. Maybe that's a start?

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com

Well well.

Country and timeline: any 😁
Size is not that important, but I guess it should be at least 256 x 256 pixel. More important for me special project would be to have seamless tiles and somewhat realistic colors. 

I think you'll be hard pressed to find ready made seamless patterns but with google and using appropriate key words ( ww2 german tank camouflage patterns)  you'll find various img sources, plus more references  i.e.

https://agtom.eu/en/content/25-pojazdy-niemieckie-z-ii-ws

Along with paint colour charts etc. to begin trial and error with photoshop / gimp image editing to achieve what you're after.

Image%2525202020-01-06%252520at%2525203.

Funnily enough I'm working on a project using internet images as a source for different motorycles and stripping out their painted colour so any colour can be added.

screenshot_1744.jpg

2 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Question about German paints - was the red primer supposed to be part of the camoflauge near the end of the war or was it the result of a supply chain breakdown?

From the link above

Late war camo

With the war coming to an end, the economical situation of Nazi Germany was becoming more and more hopeless. Shortages of supplies and allied bombers hit factories hard, so less and less equipment was resupplied for retreating Wehrmacht. Tanks which were provided to frontline units were sometimes unfinished or scrapped from few destroyed or damaged vehicles. Sometimes turret, hull, Schürzen, engine and other components were taken from another vehicle each. In that case, no one bothered to unify camouflage of salvaged tank.

Late version of Tiger I tank in yellow-brown camo.

In 1944 the painting of German tanks was obverted. Olivegrün became the basic color, while Dünkelgelb became camouflaging one. Another new method, designed to save time and resources, was painted dark green camouflage over anti-corrosion primer hull red (Rotbraun RAL 8012). Sometimes because of lack of either materials or time, some parts of the tank were left in base primer color. Because of that, some late war vehicles, especially those defending German mainland and Berlin, were often painted in very strange way.

15 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Not wanting to digress this thread too much but does camouflaging a building in that way actually fool anyone?

A few bombs landed close to it during the Battle of Britain. But it survived the war, and is still standing. Although from what I have read most of the bombs that fell on my town were jettisoned by planes that didn't make it to London, Biggin Hill, Kenley, or whatever their actual target was. 

I don't know if I've seen any 'seamless tiles' for camou on the internet. Especially vehicle camou (you may find something for uniform camou patterns). The internet's chock full of WWII camou schemes, though. Its not an easy task to match up camou patterns for sides, top, front and back of CM vehicles But it can be done.