The Year Ahead Bone Post

23 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Outraged? That is the easiest one of them all. I can say with 100% certainty, and without even going back to the 2002 forums, that there were some people who were outraged when CMBB came out.

Yup, I remember it well.  As an Eastern Front fanatic I was a bit miffed that Western Front people, who just had their turn with CMBO, thought Combat Mission should be limited to just Western Front stuff.  Then we got people ticked off at us again with CMAK because, once again, they thought we were wasting our time with things that didn't interest them.  And when we announced the first title of CM2 Engine would be modern... that really brought out all the love and understanding from the Western Front fans.  At least this time they had company because the Eastern Front fans were upset, as were all the ones who wanted us to do 1940 or PTO.

I dunno, maybe I'm remembering things all wrong and in fact our customers were uniformly open minded, happy-go-lucky people who never showed a hint of passionate or opinionated disapproval of anything we did.  Maybe I should spend time looking through old threads to find out?

Steve

Oh for sure the majority of negativity expressed towards CMBB and CMAK were the usual "I wish they would make the game I want, but such is life" sort of thing.  There were few who really got bothered by it, but there were very heated debates about why the person making a point was so obviously right and the person opposing it was so obviously wrong.  You don't have to look very far back, or hard, to see that sort of thing here on these Forums.  Especially between the Eastern Front and Western Front super fans. 

The Eastern Front folks think there is no other front more worthy of attention for 10 zillion reasons (I agree with 9 zillion of them, BTW!), the Western Front folks have their 10 zillion reasons why their favorite place is the best (I'd give them 8 out of 10 zillion).  The supporters of other areas of personal interest (PTO, Italy, Crete, North Africa, etc.) might not have 10 zillion reasons in a debate, but they have more than a couple (of which a few are pretty good).  I've even seen the odd person here or there try to make the case that an obscure chapter in WW2 era, like Abyssinia (I remember someone saying we should focus on that!) is more interesting than the more popular ones.  Maybe they have a point or two, but as an old saying goes... if you put a monkey in front of a typewriter long enough... :D

The point is these sorts of debates happen in wargame forums.  And they happen frequently, often passionately.  At least here they are generally kept civil.  Sometimes by brute force :D

Steve

4 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

(So does this mean Fire & Rubble pre-orders are open or not???? )

When they came out w modern stuff I thought "oh, not my favorite, why didn't they do more WW2 first?".  then I bought & played SF2.  Holy f*&k is that a fun game.

OK, I'm ordering the SF2 Big Bundle.  It's on you if I don't like it...

4 hours ago, danfrodo said:

(So does this mean Fire & Rubble pre-orders are open or not???? )

When they came out w modern stuff I thought "oh, not my favorite, why didn't they do more WW2 first?".  then I bought & played SF2.  Holy f*&k is that a fun game.

That was my experience after having CMBN and thinking, CMFI? Really? who cares? And now, I love it! :lol:

On 1/10/2020 at 6:32 PM, Battlefront.com said:

I dunno, maybe I'm remembering things all wrong and in fact our customers were uniformly open minded, happy-go-lucky people who never showed a hint of passionate or opinionated disapproval of anything we did.

*spits just sipped coffee all over computer monitor*