The Year Ahead Bone Post

On 1/4/2020 at 7:48 AM, BFCElvis said:

We won't have a definite answer until closer to the release date but I will tell you what I would guess...to a degree....There are 2 campaigns. I don't think there will be a third with the time left.  CAmpaigns take LOTS of time.. If I were a betting person, I would bet there will be more stand alone missions than Rome to Victory (which had 15) . And probably by a pretty fair margin. 20 wouldn't surprise me but that isn't meant as a promise. 🙂

17 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I distinctly remember them. There were also complaint there were no 'good guys' to root for in the title. Good thing you've got me around to refresh your memory.

You have "distinctly" remembered a number of things wrongly over the years, so I'll not be taking your word for it.

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

You have "distinctly" remembered a number of things wrongly over the years, so I'll not be taking your word for it.

@MikeyD remembers correctly. I had no plan to devote more than a passing minute or 2 to poke around the old forum posts and that's about all the time it took. Skimmed though the 1st page and a 1/4 of the second before I found a "no good guys" post in page 1, thread 3 of the archives.

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

@MikeyD remembers correctly. I had no plan to devote more than a passing minute or 2 to poke around the old forum posts and that's about all the time it took. Skimmed though the 1st page and a 1/4 of the second before I found a "no good guys" post in page 1, thread 3 of the archives.

With that quality detective work, perhaps you could write a song about detectives.

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Can someone point me to the rage part of that thread?  Most of the responses seemed to be saying the opposite.

I didn't spend anytime sifting through the thread or the old forum for the rage posts. I barely skimmed the first page of that thread. Anything more than that would have been a massive waste of time for no real purpose. The post you quoted of @MikeyD didn't say anything about rage. It mentioned people not being interested since they didn't see any good guys. A few second scroll found one right away. I probably spent more time writing my reply and clicking copy/paste than I did researching it. 

And I definitely remember that the overall reaction was positive. But I also remember that as MikeyD said:

I recall when CMBB came out some CMBO loyalists were enraged. 

there were some that weren't even a little happy. And as far as "some beta testers overblow the response to certain things." MikeyD wasn't a beta tester for CMBB and not even a forum member until 5 years after it's release.......Unless he had a different handle back then. 

And I think the thread helps make my main point that "certain" beta testers continue exaggerate the response of a very small number of people to make their points.  Never thinking that someone might actually check it.  MickeyD in particular.  He has a lot of memories that seem to get embellished over the years.

3 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

So maybe I need to be specific...where is this mob of enraged CMBO fans in that thread.  I can't believe we have to get down to defining words.  So what is "some"?

Aside from this conversation being a huge waste of time, ask yourself if there is a difference in your mind between "some" people and a "mob" of people. 😉 Probably a good place to start.

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So about the forthcoming CM:BS Module.....What can you tell us?

How soon?

New vehicles (earlier T-72s would be a godsend)?

MRLs? 

Buratino?

It's in the earliest stages and it is't time to shoot out TO&E  things until they're settled on (heck we just added 2 things to Fire and Rubble the other day). I would expect (hope) to see that module before the end of the year.

(ps....thanks)

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Aside from this conversation being a huge waste of time, ask yourself if there is a difference in your mind between "some" people and a "mob" of people. 😉 Probably a good place to start.

Actually, it was the term enraged I keyed on.  As my post about embellishment hinted at.  And I have no issue with the conversation wasting time.  I see you don't think so since you are still engaged.

1 hour ago, Thewood1 said:

Actually, it was the term enraged I keyed on.  As my post about embellishment hinted at.  And I have no issue with the conversation wasting time.  I see you don't think so since you are still engaged.

Outraged? That is the easiest one of them all. I can say with 100% certainty, and without even going back to the 2002 forums, that there were some people who were outraged when CMBB came out. That is like saying water is wet. I don't mean this as a dig at the war gaming community (not limited to these forums but the community at large)  because it is my community too and I am just as guilty as anyone. If there is one thing that you can count on....set your watch to...bet the dog and ranch on....it is that someone will be outraged by something when it comes to war games. And that is one of the things that makes the war gaming community so great. The outrage will teach the non-outraged something or highlight to them that being outraged over whatever the issue is is wrong. Or the outrage will prompt a developer to take another look at what they've developed and perhaps make adjustments based on or solidify their decision ......The list of possible positives for the outrage of war gamers is long but the one thing that you can always always always always count on.......there is always outrage over something. 

On 1/6/2020 at 2:51 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd expect it to have at least two campaigns.....One for each side. 

I can't wait to get @benpark's awesome Berlin map into the editor.....Preferably in CM:BS!  :P

Is the first sentence referring to my question about the "TBA" CMRT Battlepack or is it talking about the upcoming FIre & Rubble.

Berlin in CMBS sounds exciting

@BFCElvis Strictly hypothetically, since Polish voice files exist in BN and FI, what would the devs need to do to add the LWP as a third Allied side? 😉

• OOB Research?
  • TOE Research?
  • Uniform and Vehicle illustrations?

You know... seeing as you're still tweaking Fire and Rubble.

Now if I were to really get carried away, I'd suggest that if the FB module brings Commonwealth forces through the end of the war, 1st Czech Armoured Brigade could be added. With the Czech voices files from that, should a future RT module bring in the fighting in Central and Southern Europe, the voices for 1st Czech Army Corps would already be in the game. 😈

Of course I know people would rather see the Bulgarians, Romanians, Finns and Hungarians but a man can dream!

Edited by DougPhresh

49 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

@BFCElvis Strictly hypothetically, since Polish voice files exist in BN and FI, what would the devs need to do to add the LWP as a third Allied side? 😉

• OOB Research?
  • TOE Research?
  • Uniform and Vehicle illustrations?

When the pre-orders open the complete TO&E will be posted with it. That's usually the point where it is  chiseled in stone...even if it hasn't been completed yet. Until then I ain't gonna be the one to confirm or rule out anything. I've been involved in beta testing here for 14 years and have seen things added and pulled from releases for various reasons. So, it's a bad idea (at least from me..... Steve can do what he wants 🙂 ) to comment too directly. What I will say if this throws a hint in any direction, we are 100% looking to avoid the rabbit hole we went down with Rome to Victory.  That was a TO&E bear. I hope everyone is digging the results as much as I am.

And yes, what you've mentioned above are a part of it but it isn't just the research of those formations. They would then have to be created, have models made etc....actually building them into the game with the information gathered. 

You know... seeing as you're still tweaking Fire and Rubble.

Now if I were to really get carried away, I'd suggest that if the FB module brings Commonwealth forces through the end of the war, 1st Czech Armoured Brigade could be added. With the Czech voices files from that, should a future RT module bring in the fighting in Central and Southern Europe, the voices for 1st Czech Army Corps would already be in the game. 😈

Of course I know people would rather see the Bulgarians, Romanians, Finns and Hungarians but a man can dream!

Ya never know. Never say never.....I think James Bond said that.