The Year Ahead Bone Post

I was reading a translation of a 1970 Russia tactics book the other day and it discussed how the width covered by a battalion shifted over the course of the war. The question is, will I be able to locate that reference?

... Ah! Not only did I find the book, the relevant passage was fortuitously bookmarked!

In August 1942 the 88th Rifle division of the Western Front was attacking across a front of 2.6km. It received as reinforcements a tank brigade (35 tanks), two artillery regiments, and a mortar regiment. With organic and attached means, it could set up the following densities per kilometer of front: 3.5 rifle battalions, 13 tanks, and 84 guns and mortars. the depth of its combined mission was 7.5km.

The 94th Guard Rifle Division, attacking... ...in January 1945 across a front of two kilometers, received as reinforcements an artillery and motor brigade, two tank regiments (60 tanks), and a sapper battalion. The density of men and materiel per kilometer of front was 4.5 rifle battalions, 30 tanks, 240 guns and mortars, and the depth of the combat mission was 18km.

I think that was numbers for a major offensive (the book is literally called 'The Offensive'). Jan'45 would be the Vistula-Oder offensive, I'd guess. Would august 42 be the battle of Stalingrad? I cannot fathom placing 4 battalions and 30 tanks on a 1km wide CM map

Edited by MikeyD

24 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I was reading a translation of a 1970 Russia tactics book the other day and it discussed how the width covered by a battalion shifted over the course of the war. The question is, will I be able to locate that reference?

... Ah! Not only did I find the book, the relevant passage was fortuitously bookmarked!

I think that was numbers for a major offensive (the book is literally called 'The Offensive'). Jan'45 would be the Vistula-Oder offensive, I'd guess. Would august 42 be the battle of Stalingrad? I cannot fathom placing 4 battalions and 30 tanks on a 1km wide CM map

August 42 might be Kharkov which just preceded the German attack towards Stalingrad IIRC or perhaps something around Moscow.

Edited by ASL Veteran

I did some Google researching. I can't find anything on 94th Guards Rifle but in the book they were said to be out of the Vistula bridgehead at Magunshev (Magnuszew). So that is the Vistula Oder offensive that crushed German defenses like a bug. 88th rifle division in '42 would have been a newly formed force based around the Moscow military zone that participated in the liberation of Smolensk around that time. I do like Google sometimes.

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

So what book was this and is it online?

The title on the jacket is "The Offensive (A Soviet View)" with the line 'Soviet Military Thought' running along the bottom.  On the inside page it says A.A. Sidorenko, Moscow 1970.

Beneath that is the line "Translated and published under the auspices of the United States Air Force'. My book is ancient, perhaps going back to 1974.

I just Googled the author, name and 'ebook' and got this link, with the word 'FREE' appended to it. ^_^

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Offensive_a_Soviet_View.html?id=x-8IAQAAIAAJ

Soviet rifle division in offensive:

Winter 41/Winter 42  - 7...14 km (mostly in one echelone)

Autumn 42 - 4..5 km

Summer 43 - 2...2,5 km (two or even three echelones)

44-45 - 1,5 - 2 km

Soviet rifle division in defense: 6...14 km

But, of course all depended from current tasks and situation

Edited by Haiduk

On 7/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, MikeyD said:

Battalions were deeply echeloned. If division attacks in 2,5km front, in 1-st line are 4 rifle battalions (each on 750m front), in 2-nd line 2 rifle battalions, then goes 3-rd regiment. Divisions had objectives deep in the rear and had to be deeply echeloned to achieve this objectives. 

During Vistula-Oder offensive each division transferred 1 battalion to "special echelone", to capture German positions by surprise, during pause in artillery preparation. So this "special echelone" battalions attacked on division frontage, 2-2,5 km (followed by other battalions, in usual formation).

Edited by DMS

On 7/29/2020 at 12:42 AM, MikeyD said:

. I can't find anything on 94th Guards Rifle but in the book they were said to be out of the Vistula bridgehead at Magunshev (Magnuszew). So that is the Vistula Oder offensive that crushed German defenses like a bug.

I found division's journal: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=130019938

On page 4 is table with personell numbers. Division had 7500 men. (Note that it was reinforced division, that was moved from reserve.)  That's why so narrow front. On 1.2.45 division had 6100 men. Page 25 - maps.

Edited by DMS

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 2:57 PM, DMS said:

I found division's journal: https://pamyat-naroda.ru/documents/view/?id=130019938

On page 4 is table with personell numbers. Division had 7500 men. (Note that it was reinforced division, that was moved from reserve.)  That's why so narrow front. On 1.2.45 division had 6100 men. Page 25 - maps.

The Soviets usually forced anyone into service they could lay their hands on, so their units were (much) stronger than reported.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, AtheistDane said:

It's been a while since we got any updates about upcoming games and expansions. 

It's my impression that Fire and Rubble is next and then an expansion for Black Sea, is this so?

Wondering if we might not see more titles appear on Steam first, which might well help to fund our all too numerous wishes.....I was a bit skeptical about the Steam release, but there already seem to be a bunch of new faces around here and they seem a nice mob as a whole.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wondering if we might not see more titles appear on Steam first, which might well help to fund our all too numerous wishes.....I was a bit skeptical about the Steam release, but there already seem to be a bunch of new faces around here and they seem a nice mob as a whole.  ;)

My bet is that RT will be next on Steam releasing together with F&R.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, AtheistDane said:

It's my impression that Fire and Rubble is next and then an expansion for Black Sea, is this so?

I hope not. I would rather see the CW 44/45 Expansion of Final Blitzkrieg after Fire+Rubble. However we might learn in the next 2 months what the plan will be.

41 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

I hope not. I would rather see the CW 44/45 Expansion of Final Blitzkrieg after Fire+Rubble. However we might learn in the next 2 months what the plan will be.

Agreed. Final Blitzkrieg could add some more spice. Black Sea isn't really my cup of tea. I'd prefer if they just added Russians in desert camo to Shock Force 2.

2 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Agreed. Final Blitzkrieg could add some more spice. Black Sea isn't really my cup of tea. I'd prefer if they just added Russians in desert camo to Shock Force 2.

Either or both would suit me fine.....Both games need a few new types of T-72 (& a variety of new Uncon Teams).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 3 months later...