The Year Ahead Bone Post

What MikeyD said.  Sometimes those fixes are applicable to a specific title, sometimes all, and more often somewhere inbetween.  I can't even begin to say what has been fixed since the last round of patches because we are constantly tweaking and updating the code, artwork, and TO&E as problems are brought to our attention.  At this stage of the engine's maturity most of these fixes are very minor in the grand scheme of things, but still likely noticeable.

steve

15 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

What MikeyD said.  Sometimes those fixes are applicable to a specific title, sometimes all, and more often somewhere inbetween.  I can't even begin to say what has been fixed since the last round of patches because we are constantly tweaking and updating the code, artwork, and TO&E as problems are brought to our attention.  At this stage of the engine's maturity most of these fixes are very minor in the grand scheme of things, but still likely noticeable.

steve

Very nice, thank you. 🙏

It would be super nice if someone has the time/desire to ninja the 2S3 and BM-27 into SF2.😻

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

At this stage of the engine's maturity most of these fixes are very minor in the grand scheme of things, but still likely noticeable.

I hope this will be corrected as discussed in the thread below. I finally got a graphics card after playing with integrated graphics for years, and now it is very noticeable to me.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:09 AM, Frenchy56 said:

91177AD70C82A0A006536D2CD1BB105AA406A1AA

Soviet rifle platoon leaders (which are embedded inside the 1st rifle squad) have the wrong uniform. They show Private ranks.

This kind of thing shows up as well for a few HQ units like the ATR platoon or Machine gun platoon.

Then again, you can see the number of SVT's reach a number that's in fact closer to pre-war numbers (8 SVT's per platoon, when DMS pointed out 2 would be a reasonable number for this timeline).

I've also noted that platoons are commanded by Captains and companies by Majors according to the UI, and I have never seen any Soviet officer under the rank of Captain in this game.

I think this has something to do with the UI being incorrect (I've tested it with and without Juju's UI mod, and the ranks are the same).

The UI's senior officer ranks, in other words over Captain, are also incorrect (the stars are silver when they should be gold).

On 1/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, Frenchy56 said:

Note: this also affects the earlier 1943 rifle battalion organization, where rifle platoon leaders have their HQ unit.

Sapper battalions and AA batteries seems to have this problem as well.

Note 2: SMG companies are unaffected, I think it's safe to assume that they're the only ones who aren't affected by this problem after further checking in the scenario editor.

I don't think I've seen any Junior Sergeants either.

So, to sum it up, platoon and company leaders' ranks are too high, all officer ranks under Captain are unused, icons for ranks over Captain are incorrect, Junior Sergeants nowhere to be seen (except probably tank crews), platoon leader's 3d model is incorrect in most cases.

I've made some fixes for the ranks myself with existing mods, if you're interested, give me a shout.

Well, to sum it up, the main problem here is the Soviet platoon leader's model in most formations. He appears as a regular grunt.

The UI ranks can be fixed by manipulating the game's files. A bit more variation in the ranks would be nice though.

Edited by Frenchy56

I'm 99% sure I fixed that a while back.  I'm doing work on the TO&E today and it definitely looks fixed.

I also reworked many of the Platoons to have their HQ baked into a Squad, which was standard practice for Soviets through modern times.  CM initially wasn't able to do that, but changes after CMRT came out made it possible.

Steve

steve

What about the different issues with the Dutch in CMSF2? The weird flightpath of the Gill missile, the lack of radio's and the airburst issue with the CV90 were reported in the cmsf2 forums, but I haven't seen any reaction/confirmation on those.

1 hour ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I noticed recently that CMBN US Army Armored Infantry platoons have that structure too. Did that came with the 3.0 update?

I don't know when BF did that change to the US armored infantry platoons, but it did cause some problems with older scenarios.

I remember playing "Carbide Carbide" as the Americans after that change was done.  The result was that American armored infantry platoons now had platoon commanders embedded in their 1st squads, but also still retained the individual platoon HQ teams.  In other words, each platoon had two commanders!

I hope we don't see stuff like that in older CMRT scenarios and campaigns when they release F&R.

20 minutes ago, Myles Keogh said:

I hope we don't see stuff like that in older CMRT scenarios and campaigns when they release F&R.

The Red Army organization did reflect that in CMRT. So at least in what concerns the Red Army it should be good to go.

I don't know if a similar review is taking place for quite diverse set of German services that we will see in F&R (Heer, Waffen SS, Volkssturm, FJ/HG Division). In that case, glitches like the one you saw in Carbide Carbide would be prone to happen.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

4 hours ago, BarendJanNL said:

What about the different issues with the Dutch in CMSF2? The weird flightpath of the Gill missile, the lack of radio's and the airburst issue with the CV90 were reported in the cmsf2 forums, but I haven't seen any reaction/confirmation on those.

I can only speak to the radio thing as that is something I personally fixed.  Radios were missing from quite a few units across multiple nations. 

As I said above, we fix things as they are brought up.   I'm not always aware of them and even when I am that doesn't mean I remember 'em.  We have bug tracking software to do that ;)

3 hours ago, Myles Keogh said:

I don't know when BF did that change to the US armored infantry platoons, but it did cause some problems with older scenarios.

I remember playing "Carbide Carbide" as the Americans after that change was done.  The result was that American armored infantry platoons now had platoon commanders embedded in their 1st squads, but also still retained the individual platoon HQ teams.  In other words, each platoon had two commanders!

Good point!  That was an odd situation that (fortunately) wasn't widespread.  It has to do with the quirky way the game handles the TO&E and the very specific way I reorganized a very specific unit in a very specific formation.  Most of the times the method used had no legacy implications, but in that instance (and perhaps a few others) the chosen technique wasn't right for the occasion.  I'll double check CMRT and make sure the method matches the need.

Steve

8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

I can only speak to the radio thing as that is something I personally fixed.  Radios were missing from quite a few units across multiple nations. 

As I said above, we fix things as they are brought up.   I'm not always aware of them and even when I am that doesn't mean I remember 'em.  We have bug tracking software to do that ;)

Good to hear it is fixed! :)

I was surprised that the fix didn't appear in the previous patch (because it was reported to be fixed already), so just double checking the original fix (pre 2.02) hasn't inadvertedly been borked by another issue. 

And of course of course I / we understand that you don't track issue's mentally and nobody knows the status of all issues by memory. That woudn't be healthy :)

IIRC there was more than one problem with the radios, so I don't think something got re-borked.  The problem came from the massive CMSF1 to CMSF2 data migration, which was a one time thing.  Had to do with the original CM2 TO&E data organization being different than everything post CMBN v1.  Lots of problems like the radio thing came about during the massive rewiring effort, but most were found and fixed during initial testing.  Obviously missed this one ;)

It was kinda an odd situation.  With the one I recently fixed it was mostly Blue forces that were affected.  Because the leadership elements are so often riding in style, they used the more powerful vehicle radios.  It was only noticeable when the HQ was dismounted and far enough away from their vehicle to lose C2 connection.  Which meant the absence of the radio was inconsistent and, therefore, less likely to be noticed.  IIRC the earlier problem was more of an across the board situation with some higher level variables, but I could be mistaken.

Steve

36 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

IIRC there was more than one problem with the radios, so I don't think something got re-borked.  The problem came from the massive CMSF1 to CMSF2 data migration, which was a one time thing.  Had to do with the original CM2 TO&E data organization being different than everything post CMBN v1.  Lots of problems like the radio thing came about during the massive rewiring effort, but most were found and fixed during initial testing.  Obviously missed this one ;)

It was kinda an odd situation.  With the one I recently fixed it was mostly Blue forces that were affected.  Because the leadership elements are so often riding in style, they used the more powerful vehicle radios.  It was only noticeable when the HQ was dismounted and far enough away from their vehicle to lose C2 connection.  Which meant the absence of the radio was inconsistent and, therefore, less likely to be noticed.  IIRC the earlier problem was more of an across the board situation with some higher level variables, but I could be mistaken.

Steve

Great news! I hope that the thread I made on the topic helped ease your task in some small way. The radio bug really seems to affect a lot of Syrian formations.

Also, I don't know if it's related to the C2 stuff, but from the drone testing that was done, I discovered that if you assign a drone from the Blue TO&E to the red forces, it will only share contacts with the unit that called the drone. Nobody else on the red side sees the contacts.

Edited by Liveload

9 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Is the MoD project still on track to finish this month? I'm mostly asking as i hope you don't have to take a financial hit if it isn't. But maybe this is all classified. 🙉

I appreciate it and yes, it is classified. That said everything is still on track and, to be candid, so far this hasn't affected us much yet. We all work from home, testers have more free time to test, fine tune scenarios, etc and people that are stuck at home have decided to get one or two of the titles that they'd not gotten around to picking up before.

I hope everyone else is holding up ok in these weird times. 

ChrisND mentioned a long time ago that there may be a revamp of the sound effects. Is there any chance of that. For me, sound effects are super important for immersion and I seem to recall the Russian maxim, in particular, sounded not so great (although may be authentic). 

5 hours ago, AlexUK said:

ChrisND mentioned a long time ago that there may be a revamp of the sound effects. Is there any chance of that. For me, sound effects are super important for immersion and I seem to recall the Russian maxim, in particular, sounded not so great (although may be authentic). 

The stock CM sound effects are not that great, but they do their job. That's where mods come in however. CM allows you to modify any visual (2D) or sound asset. The High Quality Sounds mod is available for every title and provides excellent sound replacements for literally every gameplay-related sound in the game. They're pretty consistent in terms of style, volume, and about as realistic as you can get with a simple audio file.

20 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Thanks, good to know! 

If needed/useful I'd be happy to assist testing the CMSF2 patch (when the time for it has arrived).

On 3/25/2020 at 3:02 PM, BFCElvis said:

I appreciate it and yes, it is classified. That said everything is still on track and, to be candid, so far this hasn't affected us much yet. We all work from home, some testers have more free time to test, fine tune scenarios, etc and people that are stuck at home have decided to get one or two of the titles that they'd not gotten around to picking up before.

I hope everyone else is holding up ok in these weird times. 

Fixed that for you mate … stuck in Kabul until not sure when (middle of April or end of May on current planning figures) 😲