The Year Ahead Bone Post

21 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

It was a fairly opportune time. Indeed, they were in the middle of upgrading. New tank units had not been giving any significant spare parts, training or even equipment (radios, in particular). Such was the preparedness of these forces -- that T-34s were not yet issued to anyone. Pilots had not yet had the flight time to fly their planes. The decision to invade was still made half a year prior. It took some time to get the pieces in place. With proper intelligence and efficient planning, could they have done it sooner? Possibly.

Good points, but it takes two to tango and German forces were not in the same condition in June 1941 as they would have been under different circumstances. Defeat in the Battle of Britain and bailing out Mussolini in Africa and the Balkans took significant punch out of the German forces. But the main cost of these diversions was time. The extra month or so used by the Germans to take out the opposition in the Balkans would have made a lot of difference. So it is good for us all that Hitler was infatuated with "Il Duce."

I think we are sidling into the banned topic of politics here 🙂

@Steve:   I love CMBS. Thank you for your explanation of how it is easier to fix 100 bugs than one.

I hope in that 100 the poor performance of artillery vs armour will be rebalanced, including both direct hits and near misses because that is IMO the most anomalous part of the game; apart from not being realistic, it also is annoying from a gaming perspective - the weaker sides do not have another option vs the most powerful tanks. I am not suggesting that artillery should be a superweapon, but direct hits and near misses from large calibre arty (120mm +) having minimal effects on both tanks and tin cans like Strykers and BTRs doesn't seem right.

24 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

... I am not suggesting that artillery should be a superweapon, but direct hits and near misses from large calibre arty (120mm +) having minimal effects on both tanks and tin cans like Strykers and BTRs doesn't seem right.

Direct hits are hard to get in the WWII games, but I've seen KOs, serious damage and immobilisations lots of times with heavy artillery hits and near misses in the WWII titles (the near misses have to be pretty near though, which seems right); and in the modern titles, against the AI, killing tanks with point-strike artillery is almost too easy (by which I mean, not unrealistic, just not challenging).

What about adding a "REPEAT" mission to artillery fire missions and registering fires on those target which have already been called in once? The arty in this game is very nicely done, even including the linear sheaf mission - so why not the "repeat" mission? Call for fires that are serviced normally result in that target be registered as well, so why not automatically insert a TRP onto every site in which artillery is called - like in the real thing? Maybe some nations were not up to doing this in the Second World War, but U.S. and British artillery certainly were - I assume the Wehrmacht was as well. Not sure if the Soviets used that capability.

1 hour ago, BluecherForward said:

What about adding a "REPEAT" mission to artillery fire missions and registering fires on those target which have already been called in once? The arty in this game is very nicely done, even including the linear sheaf mission - so why not the "repeat" mission?

+1   Good idea.  I often wish I could repeat a fire order when the first barrage wasn't effective and it's excruciating having to wait through a whole spotting cycle.

Edited by Erwin

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

+1   Good idea.  I often wish I could repeat a fire order when the first barrage wasn't effective and it's excruciating having to wait through a whole spotting cycle.

And going through the spotting cycle again is also unrealistic - not what would have happened - at least not in in most/many cases.

Edited by BluecherForward
clarification

8 hours ago, BluecherForward said:

What about adding a "REPEAT" mission to artillery fire missions and registering fires on those target which have already been called in once? The arty in this game is very nicely done, even including the linear sheaf mission - so why not the "repeat" mission? Call for fires that are serviced normally result in that target be registered as well, so why not automatically insert a TRP onto every site in which artillery is called - like in the real thing? Maybe some nations were not up to doing this in the Second World War, but U.S. and British artillery certainly were - I assume the Wehrmacht was as well. Not sure if the Soviets used that capability.

You basically have this feature with Target Reference Points, issue is that scenario designers often don't give any to the player when he's attacking even though offense is the most crucial time for them. 

1 hour ago, SimpleSimon said:

You basically have this feature with Target Reference Points, issue is that scenario designers often don't give any to the player when he's attacking even though offense is the most crucial time for them. 

Great point SimpleSimon. I agree that TRPs would be very useful for the offense. I would also like to see the ability to "repeat" the fire mission after calling for fire on an unanticipated target - either immediately or at some later point in time - which is why I was hoping that TRPs could be assigned to targets that have been called in during the battle. With regard to the "repeat" mission, see Erwin's comment below - that is what I would like to see, as well.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

I often wish I could repeat a fire order when the first barrage wasn't effective and it's excruciating having to wait through a whole spotting cycle.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

For some reason I hadn't seen this one.  Like it.  Thanks...  Will try it out with CMBB.

Wonder if it can adapted for CM2.

Fyi, I noticed that there are two identical images (file info is the same) in the BMP folder of this pic. The linked pic is 11001.bmp. For it to work correctly, make a copy of 11001 and rename it 11002 for the second image and place it in the bmp folder as well.