R2V Riva Ridge playthrough up on Youtube

MikeyD

I stumbled across these 2 videos by Ts4EVER that had been uploaded almost a month ago and was surprised they hadn't got a mention on the board. A pitch battle along Riva Ridge. 'Spoiler warning' if you haven't played the scenario yet, if you're sensitive to such stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AOwd6W0orI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_kJ7RLoBA

Edited by MikeyD

I recall, or perhaps grossly mis-recall, a (real world) kills-per-shot statistic. Bolt action rifles averaged 8 rounds fired per casualty produced. Semi auto was closer to 20. Full auto would climb into the hundreds or rounds fired per casualty. Again, this is something I read once long ago and my numbers may be entirely off. But you get the general point.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:38 AM, MikeyD said:

I recall, or perhaps grossly mis-recall, a (real world) kills-per-shot statistic. Bolt action rifles averaged 8 rounds fired per casualty produced. Semi auto was closer to 20. Full auto would climb into the hundreds or rounds fired per casualty. Again, this is something I read once long ago and my numbers may be entirely off. But you get the general point.

..... Also you have to really plan your artillery well as Brazilian EF on this one, helps a bunch.

Edited by user1000

• 11 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, MikeyD said:

The simplistic stats I've seen indicate that the British Empire used an average of six million 0.303 rounds per day during WW1... I very much doubt they were inflicting hundreds of thousands of casualties per day.

All of the great powers were producing SAA in the billions.

If we take a random offensive in 1918, say the fifth battle of Ypres, the Brits expended a million rounds of artillery during a four day battle. Total German casualties (from all causes) were in the tens of thousands but far, far below any conceivable 8-1 ratio.

In my opinion, all warfare features vast expenditures of ammunition for relatively few inflicted casualties.

Apparently, during the Napoleonic wars, the common saying was that "to kill a man required expenditure of an amount of lead equal to his weight".

A medieval English army of, say, 5000 archers could expend 60,000 arrows a minute in theory.

Edited by 37mm

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2020 at 7:22 PM, 37mm said:

The simplistic stats I've seen indicate that the British Empire used an average of six million 0.303 rounds per day during WW1... I very much doubt they were inflicting hundreds of thousands of casualties per day.

All of the great powers were producing SAA in the billions.

If we take a random offensive in 1918, say the fifth battle of Ypres, the Brits expended a million rounds of artillery during a four day battle. Total German casualties (from all causes) were in the tens of thousands but far, far below any conceivable 8-1 ratio.

In my opinion, all warfare features vast expenditures of ammunition for relatively few inflicted casualties.

Apparently, during the Napoleonic wars, the common saying was that "to kill a man required expenditure of an amount of lead equal to his weight".

A medieval English army of, say, 5000 archers could expend 60,000 arrows a minute in theory.

Those “number of .303 rounds per day” doesn’t have much relationship to the  “rounds per infantryman per kill” statistic originally quoted. The Vickers MG and other lighter more mobile infantry automatic guns, including the Lewis guns in the infantry and all of the fighter aircraft and defensives of the scouts, bombers, and balloons, all fired the .303 round. That massively skews the ratios. The SMLE, M1903, and M1917 Enfield, were routinely used to qualify at 1,000 yards (914.4 meters), and that was by regular riflemen, not snipers.

6 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Those “number of .303 rounds per day” doesn’t have much relationship to the  “rounds per infantryman per kill” statistic originally quoted.

This opinion has not been changed.