Fighting WWII using Battlefront's games and custom scenarios

JGATTS

Folks;

I've always wanted to refight WWII, at the Strategic, Operational, AND Tactical level. I am aware of many games that enable one to fight WWII at the strategic level, but what I'd like to do is make strategic moves in those games, then move down into respective theaters, THEN move down into the tactical engagements in each theater, and in those tactical areas, I'd like to utilize Battlefront's games (I have a Mac, so you guys are the only game in town) to determine the tactical outcomes. I'd like to start in 1939, in both European and Pacific theaters. How would you recommend I use Battlefront's games to do this, and if you think I can, what game(s) would you recommend I use?

Thanks!

Not strategic, but CM1 enabled one to play huge battles (sometimes on the max 4Km x 8Km maps) that were practically at the operational level. 

At WeBoB we had annual tournaments with a Regimental-sized TF on each side plus companies of extra supporting units - and one could start in 1941 with Barbarossa.  There were mods that enabled on to play 1939 Invasion of Poland onwards as well.

The CM1 system was simpler so it was a playable size and would run on average computers of 15-20 years ago.  Trying to play that size in CM2 (assuming one's system could run it) would be arduous.

My hope is that the UI can be streamlined in CM3 so that the number of clicks and time needed to perform some actions can be reduced to make larger scenarios more easily playable.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BornGinger said:

Steel Division 2 seems to be such a stressful game. When I watch videos on Youtube the people playing the game seems to be a bit stressed when they only have 45 or so minutes to play.

For real. I play SD 2 from time to time. I play on less than half speed and pause to issue complex orders. I don't think it does justice to infantry combat, but it's an improvement over the previous game.

I'd definitely pick a Graviteam game over SD2, for operational fun. There's still a lot of micromanagement that goes into SD2, even if they are adding group orders.

It's more challenging to learn, a bit unwieldy even after you do but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. They're constantly revising the smart-order mechanics to decrease the micro. Graviteam's stuff is another option on the Operation scale and a good one, but if you've got patience so is Steel Division 2.