No Gurkhas in the Indian army?

Another disappointment after the missing Goumiers. I expected a more complete module after such a long wait. 

Khukuri knifes weren't used that often. It's more a part of the Gurkha legend. Brave soldiers, but not enough to scare the tough German fallschirmjaeger and Panzergrenadiere. The Gurkhas should have been in though.

Edited by Aragorn2002

There's also no Greeks, but as far as I know this is the first game to offer Indian (including Sikh) and Brazilian forces at this scale. And there are South Africans, Kiwis, Free French, and Poles.  It's sort of a glass half empty-glass half full sort of thing I think. Myself I some hope time gets put into bringing the Free French to Northwest Europe.

2 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

There's also no Greeks, but as far as I know this is the first game to offer Indian (including Sikh) and Brazilian forces at this scale. And there are South Africans, Kiwis, Free French, and Poles.  It's sort of a glass half empty-glass half full sort of thing I think. Myself I some hope time gets put into bringing the Free French to Northwest Europe.

Poles are great to have. Free French less so, since the best part of them, the Goumiers, are missing. Same goes for the indians/Gurkhas. And Brazilians? Were did they fight exactly? I' m no expert on the Italian campaign, but i never read anything about them. Must have been after the fall of Rome.

Half full or not, i consider this to be a very strange decision by BF. Especially after the years and years they spent making it. Thanks to our great modders the Goumiers are coming. Hopefully the Gurkhas can also be modded. 

Also, from what I can tell from some of the guys in the nearest pub to our local barracks. When the Gurkhas found out that some arrogant plonker liked to come on to BFC's forum spouting neo-Nazi garbage, they asked the M.O.D. to inform B.F.C. that they didn't want to be included in Rome to Victory. Of course, that might be just the ale talking.

6 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Also, from what I can tell from some of the guys in the nearest pub to our local barracks. When the Gurkhas found out that some arrogant plonker liked to come on to BFC's forum spouting neo-Nazi garbage, they asked the M.O.D. to inform B.F.C. that they didn't want to be included in Rome to Victory. Of course, that might be just the ale talking.

Nope, he does actually sound that annoying!

7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

No, it's just your empty head talking. And sorry to mention it, but isn't this abusive behaviour, moderator? Time for a warning, me thinks.

I'm enjoying the new module a lot - and these complaints seem kind of petty.

Having said that (and I didn't like the link Mr Aragorn shared a while back - I actually read some of it, which made me feel dirty when I got to the contentious bits), I don't like 'flame wars', so I hope we can all be more grown up than that.

15 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

I'm enjoying the new module a lot - and these complaints seem kind of petty.

Having said that (and I didn't like the link Mr Aragorn shared a while back - I actually read some of it, which made me feel dirty when I got to the contentious bits), I don't like 'flame wars', so I hope we can all be more grown up than that.

Freyberg, I admit those links were a mistake, not because of the content (it simply is the truth), but the background and cheap, sensational approach of the whole site. It was the result of a quick google search. What annoys me is the censorship of the 'politically correct' nowadays. Despite our beloved freedom of speech, some things are just forbidden to mention and that worries me. As long as it is pro-climate, left wing and anti-patriotic everything can be said nowadays, even insulting and intimidating others. Fortunately I'm not easily intimated.

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Freyberg, I admit those links were a mistake, not because of the content (it simply is the truth), but the background and cheap, sensational approach of the whole site. It was the result of a quick google search. What annoys me is the censorship of the 'politically correct' nowadays. Despite our beloved freedom of speech, some things are just forbidden to mention and that worries me.

I certainly believe in freedom of speech generally - I just prefer to come here to blather about this wonderful game rather than politics...

7 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

I certainly believe in freedom of speech generally - I just prefer to come here to blather about this wonderful game rather than politics...

Agreed. That's why the roundhead is on my ignore list. As suggested he should do me the same courtesy. Problem solved.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Yeah the name calling ain't no good....from either of you. Let's try a little peace, love and understanding and move along.

As to the OP, I think MikeyD summed it up pretty nicely. Unless there is something that I'm missing. Is there anything in their TO&E and/or formations that are different enough from the Indian Army units?

I was under the impression that Gurkha units wore different uniforms and was often used almost like a commando unit doing night scouting and assaults to cause disruption. And therefore had lighter automatic weapons and operated in smaller formations. Guess I was wrong

I suppose my childhood mental image of them was this:

ladda ned.jpg

I found some humour in that Gurka is Cucumber in Swedish and that's why they felt "special".

Edited by rocketman

4 minutes ago, rocketman said:

For me, pretty much all the covers of the Airfix toy soldiers are embedded in my brain and when I see them again, now some 40 years later, it brings all those memories back again. 

Ahh yes the Airfix soldiers, a big story I hope that you have also the Japaneses...😉 remember time tu put   all preciously on the living or dining room table, ...waiting to put in ambush the Japaneses, than was time to eat 😂

37 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Gurkhas are pretty different from other Indian units. Not sure about the TOE, but saying Gurkhas are just another Indian unit, is the same as saying the US Marines are just the same as the US Army.

Marines are difference in TO&E. Otherwise they are the same level of squishies. The "armor and penetration" tables for the men don't change for hits on Marines vs. US Army men. What they carry and how they are organized does....And what they wear. Which, it if the only tangible is the clothing it can be modded. That's why I was asking. 

1 minute ago, BFCElvis said:

Marines are difference in TO&E. Otherwise they are the same level of squishies. The "armor and penetration" tables for the men don't change for hits on Marines vs. US Army men. What they carry and how they are organized does....And what they wear. Which, it if the only tangible is the clothing it can be modded. That's why I was asking. 

I see. Yes, I hope they can be modded. Would love to have them. One of my uncles (an officier in the KNIL and POW of the Japs) was liberated by Gurkhas near Surabaya/Java in 1945. For him those Gurkhas were heroes, he even visited some of them in Nepal after the war.

52 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Gurkhas are pretty different from other Indian units. Not sure about the TOE, but saying Gurkhas are just another Indian unit, is the same as saying the US Marines are just the same as the US Army.

The Marines are much worse. In every way. Any Army unit platoon and above would destroy a Marine unit.