Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sgt.Squarehead

Is The BTR-4 The Most Insanely Over Armed Vehicle Ever?

Recommended Posts

I'm sure you've all used the BTR-4 many, many times by now.....Does anyone else find them to be too heavily armed for their own good?  :unsure:

In a recent game I had two of them 'Target Light' the upper floor of a structure, just on the minuscule off-chance that the enemy had an OP or sniper team overlooking a de-busing site.....The homicidal maniacs used their auto-cannons!  For the full minute!  In the process they managed to completely level both floors of the building!  :o

Then there's their tendency to choose the same 30mm auto-cannons to provide close support for their dismounts, usually amongst trees or other obstacles liable to cause premature, and all too frequently fatal, detonation of HE rounds!  :wacko:

All of the above is a lot of fun, but it can be misleading too.....After watching them lay waste to half the map in a matter of minutes, it's all to easy to start treating them like tanks, which they aren't, as you will soon find out if they encounter anything much bigger than an LMG that fires back!  :rolleyes:

IMHO these things are insane.....I feel much safer with the BTR-70!  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

For the full minute!  In the process they managed to completely level both floors of the building!  :o

That is known feature (=bug) of the engine - buildings are tough for direct 120+ mm HE hits and too vulnerable for light armament. If you will shell in the building with small arms for VERY long time, the building will collapsed. 

Though, in real world, BTR-4 gun really was terrible thing - during siege of Sloviansk and advance on Krasnyi Lyman, there were several episodes, that BTR-4 crumbled concrete check-points with several 30 mm bursts, causing enemy withrawing.

I think BMP-2 or BTR-82 capable to do the same %)

Edited by Haiduk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago I recall reading an article in Military Technology magazine that graded autocannons by the volume of high explosive placed on a target per second. Larger weapons had more individual bang but the smaller caliber weapon with high fire rate actually put more HE onto the target. In CMSF2 there's the little German Wiesel. It looks like a toy tank but the 20mm gun has an insane rate of fire, over a thousand rpm. 25mm Bushmaster cannon on Bradley, in comparison, maxes out at 200 rpm (plus or minus 25 rounds)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MikeyD said:

It looks like a toy tank but the 20mm gun has an insane rate of fire, over a thousand rpm. 25mm Bushmaster cannon on Bradley, in comparison, maxes out at 200 rpm (plus or minus 25 rounds)

To count correctly you need to take sustained rather than cyclic RoF. You won't be able to keep Mk20 at 1000 rpms for long.

Edited by IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm sure you've all used the BTR-4 many, many times by now.....Does anyone else find them to be too heavily armed for their own good?  :unsure:

In a recent game I had two of them 'Target Light' the upper floor of a structure, just on the minuscule off-chance that the enemy had an OP or sniper team overlooking a de-busing site.....The homicidal maniacs used their auto-cannons!  For the full minute!  In the process they managed to completely level both floors of the building!  :o

Then there's their tendency to choose the same 30mm auto-cannons to provide close support for their dismounts, usually amongst trees or other obstacles liable to cause premature, and all too frequently fatal, detonation of HE rounds!  :wacko:

All of the above is a lot of fun, but it can be misleading too.....After watching them lay waste to half the map in a matter of minutes, it's all to easy to start treating them like tanks, which they aren't, as you will soon find out if they encounter anything much bigger than an LMG that fires back!  :rolleyes:

IMHO these things are insane.....I feel much safer with the BTR-70!  :D

 

 

Ingame BTR-4 is just BMP-2 on wheels with tall silhouette. They dont use their agl often or effective enough to make impact. They almost never use their atgms, and when they use them, laser warning systems on all enemy armor defeats it (while irl laser warning system shouldn't be triggered by beamriding atgm), and atgm on bmp-2 dont trigger laser warning cause its old style optical guiding. RWS module on BTR-4 ingame modeled as conventional turret (you can see it if you move camera inside hull), line of sight for its weapons comes from hull not from turret, so it cant shoot over cover as it should be able irl using its high mounted rws to advantage. If its weapon was modeled correctly ingame as RWS, it shouldn't for example be destroyed when hit in passenger compartment with ap rounds, cause there is nothing important to penetrate. 

Ingame it just boring vehicle overall, which get detected more easily than bmp2 cause its so tall but dont compensate this disadvantage with anything that bmp2 cant do. 

Edited by Oleg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oleg said:

Ingame it just boring vehicle overall, which get detected more easily than bmp2 cause its so tall but dont compensate this disadvantage with anything

BTR-4 has way better situational awareness than BMPs - even BMP-3. BMPs stand no chance against BTR-4 in close encounters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...