Have to get new system--need help to make sure CM games will run!!

Hello all--

My old computer died a fiery death and I know from playing these games for so many years that there are some video cards, (and other things?), That just will not run the games.

I apologise if the answer to my issue is already on one of the threads, I just couldn't find it. 

So please lend me your knowledge for I am a serious lover of battlefront and their superb work. I am also really happy to get any advice you can give on who the best gaming PC Maker's are. Have been looking so far at Falcon nw, origin, digital storm and a few others but without some good advice about what will and will not run my favorite games I feel as though I am grouping in the dark....

Thanks very much.

Joshua 

The game is CPU bound (I'm not saying the graphics card doesn't matter though). It also uses a single core for the actual meat of the work of generating outcomes so favour higher clock speed over more cores. I would advise sticking with nVidia graphics cards. Other than that things like and SSD will help but are not the most important thing. Oh and on Windows it is a 32 bit app. It is compiled to use all 4Gb but that's all it can use. So, while you might need more than 8Gb of memory for other things getting 16Gb of memory will not help the game any.

Found a few threads...

The last time I answered this: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/116879-pc-for-combat-mission-help/#entry1559380

2015 similar question - still valid: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/121532-recommended-specs/

The link in the first one about GPU choices is broken but I found a couple of threads that migth help - might even be the post I linked to
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120722-what-type-of-video-card-should-i-get-to-play-cm/

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125997-what-kind-of-specs-should-a-pc-have-to-run-cmx2-well/

For future reference I used google's site feature to search. It is way better than the built in forum searching. To find the above I knew I participated in the thread and it was about GPU so I searched for "site:community.battlefront.com IanL GPU". You can play with different search terms and find more.

3 hours ago, wadepm said:

I play the game on a vanilla Dell laptop.  Apart from some smudgy lettering it looks fine.  I installed on my sons super-gamer machine and it didn't look that much better, really.  Apart from the clear lettering...  

@wadepm That sounds like the game is running on the Intel integrated card.  Do you know if your laptop also has a dedicated card (like a GeForce card or somefink) in addition to the integrated card? If you do, use the video cards software suite and set it to run on high performance graphics and the blurry text will go away.

For games, I always play it safe.

* NVidia

* Intel; fastest single clockspeed CPU and OC

* Games are slowly going 64 bit faster than they are going multi-CPU.  Depending on what you play, memory will help.  For Win10 64, I would 8-16.  Certain games will eat quite a bit more memory.

* SSD speeds up everything at least loading and like being able to record video in realtime.  (If you go NVidia with SSD and Shadowplay, you can capture via with no FPS hit.)

* I went MOBO sound on this PC, but I think perhaps it causes some stutters in some TW games.  Next PC, I am going back to sound cards.

* Display.  Get a TV instead of a big monitor.  Why?  Big monitors have high native resolution and make the UI very small.  But 1080p is always 1920x1080 whether 18" or 83".  Just the pixel size changes.  I use a 32" TV for much of my gaming.

59 minutes ago, markshot said:

* Display.  Get a TV instead of a big monitor.  Why?  Big monitors have high native resolution and make the UI very small.  But 1080p is always 1920x1080 whether 18" or 83".  Just the pixel size changes.  I use a 32" TV for much of my gaming.

Hmmm, that's interesting.  I didn't know a TV would solve the small UI problem. 

17 hours ago, BFCElvis said:
20 hours ago, wadepm said:

I play the game on a vanilla Dell laptop.  Apart from some smudgy lettering it looks fine.  I installed on my sons super-gamer machine and it didn't look that much better, really.  Apart from the clear lettering...  

@wadepm That sounds like the game is running on the Intel integrated card.  Do you know if your laptop also has a dedicated card (like a GeForce card or somefink) in addition to the integrated card? If you do, use the video cards software suite and set it to run on high performance graphics and the blurry text will go away.

7 hours ago, wadepm said:

Thanks Elvis, but no such luck.  It doesn't bother me, I can make out what it is most of the time.  My next machine might be better. :)

Now, about that Red Thunder module...

Did you read this thread? Might fix your problem:

7 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Hmmm, that's interesting.  I didn't know a TV would solve the small UI problem. 

Yes, so many games really would be a stretch if not for that.  Like for example AGEOD game's (I am a former member of the company), but in general the rollover fonts were just like 1 pixel wide!  Prior to the TV all I could do, would be to edit the font file descriptor to up the point size and go bold.  But you cannot over do it, since the text gets too big for the graphics.

Viewing distance for a 32" TV can be about as close as a PC Monitor, and it easily fits on small desk.  No wider than keyboard and mouse.

desk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for so much good advice, I really appreciate it. So I am now going to list the basic config of the new system I will buy from Origin. Please let me know if any of you see any potential issues with what I have tried to put together.....

CPU: Intel I9900K 8 core(5.0Ghz)

MB: Asus tuf z390m- pro gaming Wi-Fi

MEMORY: 16 or 32gb Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz (either 2 8's or 2 16's)

GPU: Nvidia 8gb GeForce Rtx 2080 super founders edition

Power: 750W Rmx plus gold Corsair

Storage: 1Tb Samsung 970 Evo plus NVME M.2 & 1 Tb SSD drive.

OS: Win 10 pro or home ( can't really tell the difference between the two...)

Let me know if anything jumps out at you. Thanks again so much for your help and guidance.

Joshua (SfNativeEnigma)

Oh, I almost forgot. I wanted to respond to the TV vs monitor thing. I have been using my OLED tv as my monitor for the last year and it has been just great. An investment for sure, but my very wise and frugal grandma used to tell me: "Even though you may not have much money it is a true-ism that in order to save money, you must spend money." Meaning that holding off until you have enough to buy quality things will ultimately save money in the long run. She knew of what she spoke.

1 hour ago, SFNativeEnigma said:

Thanks all for so much good advice, I really appreciate it. So I am now going to list the basic config of the new system I will buy from Origin. Please let me know if any of you see any potential issues with what I have tried to put together.....

Let me know if anything jumps out at you. Thanks again so much for your help and guidance.

Joshua (SfNativeEnigma)

Are you getting an SSD drive with that?

Edited by Commanderski

16 hours ago, Commanderski said:
17 hours ago, SFNativeEnigma said:

Are you getting an SSD drive with that?

Those are both SSD drives. The second one, the M.2, basically plugs directly into the mother board. The other uses a standard SATA connection.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Those are both SSD drives. The second one, the M.2, basically plugs directly into the mother board. The other uses a standard SATA connection.

The M.2's are amazing. I just built a new system with one as the primary drive. I can be inside of a typical CMBN scenario within 1 minute of powering on my PC. Some battles used to take a full minute or more to load, but now there are few that take more than about 15 seconds.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, markshot said:

Interesting.  I use a 30" monitor with 2560 x 1600 but have been thinking about getting a 35"-40" TV.  If one is viewing approx 24"-36" away from the screen, do you think one would see a discernible difference between a HD TV vs a UHD 4K TV?

(I read someplace that unless one is close to a UHD 4K TV the human eye can't distinguish more detail/pixels than when watching a HD TV.)

On 12/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, SFNativeEnigma said:

Joshua (SfNativeEnigma)

I built a new computer in September and got close to what you are planning on:

i9-9900k overclocked to 5.1 Ghz using a Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler  (You need a very good cooler for the i9-9900k!)

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER w/ DDR4, 7.1 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Kit (2x8GB), Black

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC   (Decided on this card and not a RTX 2080 as the 2070 Super is supposedly only 4-5% slower than a RTX 2080 and for $200 CAD less)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 500GB  for Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 PCI-E x4 SSD, 1TB

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850 Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold, 850W

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition E-ATX Case, Black

And then I installed my two SSD's (960 GB and 480 GB) from the old computer into the new one.

As for Windows 10 Pro or Home, I decided on the Home version because I don't need any of the features that come with Pro.

"For the majority of users, Windows 10 Home edition will suffice. If you use your PC strictly for gaming, there is no benefit to stepping up to Pro.":

PC Gamer article on Windows 10 versions

The new computer plays CMx2 very well, but I still lock my frame rates to 30 fps using nVidia Inspector and Adaptive V-sync just to make the gameplay smoother. But I can now turn up the 3D Model Quality from Improved or Better with my old i7-920 at 4 Ghz to now Excellent or even Best.

Edited by WallysWorld

What's the best clock speed you can get on Intel these days with no OC?

What's the best clock speed you can get on Intel these days with water cooled OC?

I am at 4.3GHz (up from 3.5GHz) (OC) on my old i7.  CM is okay.  I did an analysis about a year ago with CPU-Z, and it showed for a 15% clock speed improvement (max I could get), I would need to spend thousands of USD on a new system.  For a stressed game at 10-12 FPS that only equates to +1-2 FPS; not worth the money; easier to just turn down game options.

Thanks.

I have been wondering if there is a law of diminishing returns on FPS in CM.  I have watched carefully over the years as I change my laptop every year.  I use Barkman's Corner as a benchmark.  My last two PCs have all been over 4GHz CPU clock speed.  But I am still getting 25-30 fps on maximum settings when looking up the road from behind the Panther.  That's about what I was getting with a 3.3GHz PC four years ago.  Granted that the nVidia cards improved along the way also..

I don't buy my PCs based on what I think CM's performance might be any more.  It just seems the hardware doesn't matter after a certain point.

Edited by Thewood1