Why is surrendering still so poorly modelled

On 12/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, Jaeger Jonzo said:

A prime example is in my current pbem fight where a flanking village needed to be secured off the line of advance. A solitary US platoon held the hamlet and I had over a company of heavily armed infantry backed up by panthers and flakwagens pouring fire into the houses at point blank range. None of them surrendered until 1 man of a hq team was left alive. There is no way that platoon of ordinary gi’s would suffer that firepower and hopeless situation until last man standing. If they were diehard S.S. or Russians maybe, but ordinary infantry would have waved the flag quite justly against such odds. It just seemed an unnecessary slaughter and My opponent couldn’t surrender them even if he’d wanted too, which also creates a gamey aspect with die to delay.  

He could always use the 'surrender' option in the menu :)

Although I guess that he had plans for another part of his forces? I see the issue here.
Anyway, not sure why the platoon didn't surrender apart from the last man. In my experience everything apart from fanatical troops surrenders when taking severe  casualties and against overwhelming odds.
Perhaps they were just cowering down from your intense fires and you had nobody close? It's hard to surrender to incoming HE ;-P.

Edited by Lethaface

On 12/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, umlaut said:

A german MG squad is surrendering in the first battle in the South African campaign in CMFI R2V. I then send a squad over "to accept their surrender" - when this happens.
Bloody treacherous krauts!! :D

That video made me think of this drawing made of a war correspondent and artist in an SS-Legion on the Eastern Front.

Finn Wigforss (02).jpg

Edited by BornGinger

On 12/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

I hate it when one guy surrenders whilst his mates hide out of view, and then start firing. It's is enough to make one forget one's manners and to shout "dash, blast, and fiddlesticks" loudly at the electronic typewriting/calculating machine thingy upon my bureau. And then commit a war crime.

Priceless!  :D

@MOS:96B2P.....Surprised you haven't commented here, I know you learned a few things on this front when we were testing 'Shift Commander'? 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

.....Surprised you haven't commented here, I know you learned a few things on this front when we were testing 'Shift Commander'? 

:D  I've been following along (lurking).  Don't have to much more I can add really.  Soft factors, current morale state and the location of other units, both friendly and OpFor, plays a role.  :) 

RivPibRh.jpg

Surrounding the unit is big factor IMHO.....Also having a numerically superior unit advancing on a suppressed unit sometimes seem to tip 'em over the edge.

Have there been any more developments on the Shift Commander front?  I'd love to have another go.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Received & replied.  B)

PS - Forgot to mention above that some of the surrenders were triggered after very brief exchanges of fire....As I recall the perps would do OK (potentially very lethal at short range) until the point when they have to reload their pistol.  At this point the AK/M16s carried by the patrolmen would start to win the suppression battle, allowing one to surround and detain the perp, often within another turn or two.

PPS - Once the b******s squirt, all bets are off!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead