MBT performance difference between sides and ammo selection AI

Nital6397

On 12/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, Nital6397 said:

=> is there a specific thing with the Bulat in terms of optics, which would explain its performance in detecting the opposing tank?

Oplot ingame has bug when commander some times stuck in forever "rotating" state during which he dont spot anything. 

Bulat has naturally better optics than BV

IRL Bulat also has better commander sight than T-72B3. Not sure if its true for ingame

Shooting atgms instead of sabot is just lazy bug of ingame ai. Cause of this i actually think t-64bv ingame is best ukrainian tank cause its just does not have those stupid atgms so it stuck using right ammo choice. 

Edited by Oleg

I have to say, the BM Oplot does seem to have big issues in the game.....I just lost five to a single T-72B3, because of the usual combination of their pathological desire to fire off expensive TLATGMs & retreal in cloud of smoke at the first hint of a laser.

It appeared to me that this single T-72B3 lased three tanks across about a 300 arc, almost simultaneously, thus putting three quarters of a platoon (who were lying in wait with covered arcs) to flight without even firing a shot.....Is it even possible to do this with a ranging laser?

All this at a range under 1km.....Surely one of the silly sods should have fired some sabot at him?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Russian tanks, with essentially the same gun, firing a pretty similar selection of ammo, always appear to choose sabot under similar circumstances (when controlled by the AI and facing my idiot Oplots at any rate). 

I've not played as the Russians recently, so I don't recall what their choices are when under player control, but like I said, a single AI controlled Russian tank just laid waste to three Oplots in about three turns, then another pair in a similar length of time. 

On each occasion, the Oplots either spotted first and fired a TLATGM (all of which missed I might add), or were lased and retreated in a cloud of smoke, only to be despatched by a sabot round a few moments later!  :rolleyes:

On 12/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

pretty similar selection of ammo

IRL Russians use mid-90s sabots while the latest Ukrainian tanks have access to are Sovet ones of mid-80s. The whole idea of T-72B3 and likes was to redesign autoloader to allow the use of longer penetrators (though still considerably shorter and with significantly poorer performance than Western APFSDS of today).

Edited by IMHO

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

firing a missile at under a kilometre is a bit daft,

Correct. Standing regulation provides for two cases when TLATGM are to be used. The first is when the target is beyond 2.0-2.5km (depending on the FCS and sights). The second is when the target's armor is above APFSDS penetration capabilities. I.e. T-55 facing T-90MA are to use TLATGMs irrespective of distance. I don't know why TLATGMs preferred over HEAT - probably due to HEATs having considerably lower velocities and thus lower Pks then APFSDS. IRL tankers hardly ever see TLATGMs and don't train with them due to the costs. So not sure a reasonable TC would choose a never tried TLATGM even if issued one over a HEAT which are trained with extensively - even more oftenly than with APFSDS as the latter quickly wears out the barrels. Russian tanks have considerably lower barrel life than Western ones. And Ukrainian tanks having late USSR barrels - less durable alloys, non-chrome lined - are significantly inferior to Russia's.

Edited by IMHO