R2V The Arverni Gambit

Majick

Hi All.

I'm looking for inspiration...

I'm playing this scenario as the Free French, and the key seems to be the high ground to the left of the town.  However, I can't get there before the Germans and so any attack I try to take the hill gets comprehensively destroyed .

Has anyone tried a different approach with more success?

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Majick

• 6 months later...

Yeah, I have now played this scenario a few times from each side, and the force balance seems pretty lopsided in favor of the Germans. They have so many automatic weapons, plus much more deadly armor. Not to mention the fact that they can get into position more quickly. So, though technically a meeting engagement, it's really more like the Germans are defending. The extra number of pieces of armor you get as the French just isn't enough to counter it, in my opinion. Maybe if the French had some smoke they could rush up their far right and try to cause some mayhem that way, but as it stands now I think they have a pretty difficult task. I love the map, and still like the scenario, but yes, I think it is maybe a bit imbalanced.

• 3 months later...

This is a pretty classic example of what bugs me about some CM missions to be honest, the opposing side is basically custom tailored to perfectly counter the player (or just hit an "I win button" if you chose to play German in this mission).

I'm not trying to sound whiny, but it's really a bit of a troll move. I guess it appeals to hardcore players who have achieved CM zen, but to more average players it's really kind of a motivation killer.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, I recently played this a few times as the french against the (german) AI. you can dislodge the germans from the hill by carefully targeting each floor with a supporting tank and advancing with the reserves you get from behind. Also you can target some of the buildings on the hill from the wood below

I managed to kick the germans out of the town, but getting all the objectives, nope, too difficult.

• 3 months later...

This little gem of a scenario represents all that’s best about playing vs the AI, a great example of a deeply frustrating tactical puzzle – but only if you play as the underdog Free French. I’ve played this three times now, a Tactical Defeat, a Minor Defeat and finally a Minor Victory... and I felt I’d really earned the latter...

I haven’t tried going after the high ground yet, maybe I’ll give that a go next time out. I’ve tried various ways to attack the town and yeah, it’s a bit 'gamey' but try pushing a couple of infantry-loaded Deuces (don’t forget to acquire the Bazookas and ammo!) with a couple of Stuarts *really fast* to grab yourself a foothold early on and then it’s a slow grind.

You have plenty of time, ammo to burn and whilst you don’t have the auto weapons that the Germans do, the Stuarts can run rings around the Marders - just manoeuvre for the flank shots whilst keeping out of PF range of the infantry.

And don’t forget how deadly the Canister is. Get a couple of Stuarts into the town, covered by some infantry and this will shred the Germans, more than counterbalancing their MGs.

On 12/7/2019 at 12:37 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not looked at this one yet, but if you have any artillery, a well placed linear barrage may help to stop the Germans reaching the critical hill-top before you.

This is great tip – but I’ve used this to slow the Germans heading for the buildings, rather than worry about the high ground. The high ground in this scenario hasn’t been key in any of my games, it’s always been a slugfest for the main VPs of the town.

I think this is a great scenario for solo play – a real challenge like you only usually get vs a human opponent. In addition to it being a proper challenge as the FF, there are so many different approaches to a possible win.

I wouldn’t consider it as a HtH scenario, because the SS are a bit overpowered, but if you want a multi-replayable solo game, with lots of tactical options – on what is a also a great map – this is a total winner. Playable in less than 4 hours too, so if you have an evening home when the SO is out and you’ve finished with P**nH*b, give this baby a go.

Thank me later 😉