What makes this module worth buying?

OK, just one more 'final image':

QIuow3q.jpg

This single GI gave me such a nightmare that I nicknamed him 'Sgt.Rock'.....His deadly accurate carbine fire displaced several of my sections and he then single-handedly fought off two counterattacks!  I had to pin him down with LMG & sniper fire from a nearby hill and then surround him before he finally succumbed!  :o

What a fight!  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

They provided more scenarios in the module than originally promised and they all play very well. The new 'Northern Italy' region has a change in building facades making the game look different. This is the first of the CM titles to push to war's end. The Germans, Americans and Brits see an influx of late war vehicles. 10th Mountain Division and Gebrigsjagers of 4th Independent Mtn Division butt heads - on a snow-covered mountaintop! The last time anyone fought over a snow-covered mountain in CM was CM:Afghanistan. Gameplay is different from '43 Sicily or the flatlands of Russia or forested Ardennes. As for 'star battles', pushing through the Apennines and into the Po valley is hardly a minor feat. Two of the CM titles are entirely fictional, R2V module at least has a firm historical basis.

So how many scenarios are there?

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

OK, just one more 'final image':

QIuow3q.jpg

This single GI gave me such a nightmare that I nicknamed him 'Sgt.Rock'.....His deadly accurate carbine fire displaced several of my sections and he then single-handedly fought off two counterattacks!  I had to pin him down with LMG & sniper fire from a nearby hill and then surround him before he finally succumbed!  :o

What a fight!  B)

I got half way through testing this one as the Americans - it is a superbly atmospheric map and the German AI was done pretty well.  A tricky one to win against the AI for sure which illustrates just how good the Beta tester scenario designers have come.  Sadly I was unable to contribute much beyond three maps for QBs to this title but may at some point release a scenario that I did have planned for this module, which I think would be a cracker of a fight.

15 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Really? Someone better alter the store page then because on there it says you only get "2 campaigns and 8 standalone battles"

That was the original plan, but a number of scenarios were added as the development time lingered. A bonus of the delay!

On 12/6/2019 at 3:39 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

I'm struggling to convince myself that this module is worth buying. I've bought all CM games so far, although I never play CMBS and seldom CMSF2. My sense of loyalty towards BF isn't what it used to be after the endless delay. So buying it without a good reason is out. Winter in Italy is interesting, but not interesting enough for me. Brazilians, Indians etc. don't interest me at all. Goumiers might have, but they are unfortunately not in. The role of Waffen SS in Italy was small, so that's also not a good reason for me to buy this module. What about the campaigns and scenarios? Can anyone give me some details on the German campaign and German scenarios?

I feel this way as well. Except the delay didn't bother me at all since there is so much content in the other games I have not played yet..............................the thing is I know will eventually buy it, if for no other reason but to have my collection complete. 

This is the first module that I playtested every battle before release. It was breathtaking to see the intricate work these guys put in and singling out a favorite would be impossible and unfair. I will note a couple though (not calling them favorites.....Not that I liked them the best or anything but as examples of some of the content.

Flames in the Mist was unlike any other CM battle that I ever played. People may correct me and remind of something similar and, if they're right, I have no memory of the other battles. It was a totally different type of battle.

Cassili Road, this battle is an obvious example of what all of the battles have. Extremely well thought out and detailed AI plans. I think I played it 5 times. And each time I went into it thinking "ok, I know what to do in this thing" and each time I was surprised. Not that the AI did some gamey thing that was different but that the AI acted in a way that I didn't expect or account for...and if I hadn't been trying to be gamey I should have accounted for. All the battles have this level of refinement but this one, in my opinion, can demonstrate it the best. Go ahead..play it twice...or 3 times...You'll see what I mean. 

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm going to have to agree with the Roundhead.  ;)

'Cornered Rats' might be a more apt description.  :mellow:

The Roundhead is on my ignore list and his empty one-liners do not interest me. I hope he will do me the same courtesy.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 12/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Look forward to seeing it (assuming you get the opportunity).  B)

I haven't even looked at the QB Maps yet, I'd quite forgotten about them in all the excitement.  ;)

The new qb maps Do Not Follow the numbered naming convention of the base game . they will be found at the end of the qb master list. 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:15 PM, z1812 said:

I feel this way as well. Except the delay didn't bother me at all since there is so much content in the other games I have not played yet..............................the thing is I know will eventually buy it, if for no other reason but to have my collection complete. 

There’s nothing wrong with or disloyal to decide not purchase a Family or module because it doesn’t “trip your trigger.” Both CMFI and GL were first day purchases for me, but I just recently started playing the Polish campaign in GL, and no scenarios yet. I have started playing the 10th Mountain campaign in R2V. I enjoy playing CMFI because I like to experience the changes in formations, TO&E, and tactics from 1943 to 1945.

I guess we all have our reasons to buy or not to buy, but none of them is disloyal to BFC. I get the feeling that the next modular for CMRT will be a “first day buy” for Aragon 2002, and that’s how it should be based on his interests.

If you have a thing for obscure weapons CMFI has them like no other title. Most obscure is the T32 37mm mountain gun. Before I was assigned to texture it I didn't even know such a weapon existed!

"The modified 37mm gun mounted on a tripod was introduced in the theatre in the spring of 1945. It was used by a few units on the front line with good results. It was emplaced on the MLR and fired directly at enemy MG positions. These positions were either destroyed or forced to change location. Those who fired the modified 37mm gun on the front line commented on its accuracy up to 1,500 yards, its simplicity and its lightness. The only unfavorable characteristic of the weapon was that it had to be relaid after each round fired, since the tripod mount was not sufficiently stable. The weapon was not used sufficiently in combat in Italy to permit a definite statement as to its suitability or
desirability for use. Developments in the field of recoilless weapons will undoubtedly influence any decision as to the most effective weapon for the close support of infantry."

Fifth Army official history shows loss of 17 "Gun, 37-mm, T32, w/mount M9" during the period 31 Mar - 11 May 1945.

338th3_thumb_jpg_63749b6ae19b4988fbfb80fff0cf6d6f.jpg