What makes this module worth buying?

I'm struggling to convince myself that this module is worth buying. I've bought all CM games so far, although I never play CMBS and seldom CMSF2. My sense of loyalty towards BF isn't what it used to be after the endless delay. So buying it without a good reason is out. Winter in Italy is interesting, but not interesting enough for me. Brazilians, Indians etc. don't interest me at all. Goumiers might have, but they are unfortunately not in. The role of Waffen SS in Italy was small, so that's also not a good reason for me to buy this module. What about the campaigns and scenarios? Can anyone give me some details on the German campaign and German scenarios?

Edited by Aragorn2002

49 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I'm struggling to convince myself that this module is worth buying. I've bought all CM games so far, although I never play CMBS and seldom CMSF2. My sense of loyalty towards BF isn't what it used to be after the endless delay. So buying it without a good reason is out. Winter in Italy is interesting, but not interesting enough for me. Brazilians, Indians etc. don't interest me at all. Goumiers might have, but they are unfortunately not in. The role of Waffen SS in Italy was small, so that's also not a good reason for me to buy this module. What about the campaigns and scenarios? Can anyone give me some details on the German campaign and German scenarios?

Doesn't look likes there is a German campaign. There's a US campaign as the 10th Mountain Division and a South African one as the 6th Armored. It sounds like you have good reasons not to try this one out. The SS are definitely in it, but as it is Italy its more defined by the use of the Fallschirmjaeger. Fortress Italy being my favorite game it was kind of a no brainer for me to pick this one up. Also the Brazilians are actually really fun to play, they're like US light infantry with bolt actions.

28 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Only if the human scenario designer has used the new features.

Yes...😎

Does this seem to be the case in these stock scenarios ?

I realise that most guys have not played many of them yet...but do you see these features implemented to any great degree so far..? 

52 minutes ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Doesn't look likes there is a German campaign. There's a US campaign as the 10th Mountain Division and a South African one as the 6th Armored. It sounds like you have good reasons not to try this one out. The SS are definitely in it, but as it is Italy its more defined by the use of the Fallschirmjaeger. Fortress Italy being my favorite game it was kind of a no brainer for me to pick this one up. Also the Brazilians are actually really fun to play, they're like US light infantry with bolt actions.

Thank you. Well, for the moment I remain unconvinced to buy this module. Perhaps later. On the other hand, still so much to play and explore in the other games and modules. Perhaps I'll wait for the CMRT module. Whenever that will be.

Edited by Aragorn2002

52 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Thank you. Well, for the moment I remain unconvinced to buy this module. Perhaps later. On the other hand, still so much to play and explore in the other games and modules. Perhaps I'll wait for the CMRT module. Whenever that will be.

Fire and rubble sounds really cool. I can't wait to defend the ruins of Berlin with volksturm.

Most of the Scenarios focus on the new available units.

If you have no interest in them, then I can see why you lack a desire for the game.

The scenarios that are placed in any of the games are generally a lot higher in quality than the after release ones and 3rd party stuff, in that they are reviewed and worked and reworked many times. I generally have a few that I love from each game release. 

There are a few really chose ones on this game release also, but I still have plenty to play before I can say which are my favorite.

For me, I could care less about which units I have or what time frame, I look for being given a battle that I have not played before that gives me a different type of challenge than what I have had to deal with in the past.

That can be done with one of a kind terrain, units with a different mix of weapons from what I am accustomed to playing with and things like that.

In that sense, this module delivers

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

For me, I could care less about which units I have or what time frame, I look for being given a battle that I have not played before that gives me a different type of challenge than what I have had to deal with in the past.

That can be done with one of a kind terrain, units with a different mix of weapons from what I am accustomed to playing with and things like that.

In that sense, this module delivers

Yes, if you approach it like that, I understand your point of view. Especially given the low number of scenarios made by 3rd party scenario makers.

Edited by Aragorn2002

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Aragorn2002  I thought it would be the units that appealed to me most, but thus far it's been the scenarios.....All the scenarios I've tried so far have been really good, the maps are nice, the conditions are 'different', the units are novel.....It's CM:FI, but not like you've played it before.  B)

FWIW

Would you mind giving me some (short) description of the German scenarios? No need for details, just a short summary. Some interesting scenarios would be worth the money for me.

Edited by Aragorn2002

54 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sorry dude, I haven't tried playing the bad-guys yet!  ;)

But I have no reason to believe they would be any less well written than the Allied scenarios.....I'll start one of the Axis scenarios now and make you some screenshots. 

That would be grand, partner! 🤠

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 hours ago, Anonymous_Jonze said:

Fire and rubble sounds really cool. I can't wait to defend the ruins of Berlin with volksturm.

If you like the battle of Berlin then don't forget to buy the reprint of Hamilton's "Bloody Streets" coming January. Prices for the first edition have gone through the roof, but the reprint is reasonably priced, it seems. His books on the Oder front are also top notch.

Bad guys or not, the Germans fought like lions.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Couple of screenshots from possibly the most 'Conventional CM Scenario' in the pack ('A February Thaw'), it's a conventional meeting engagement on a balanced map, but it looks awesome:

The lead platoons of 1st Co. Gebirgsjager Regiment 576 advance swiftly into the freezing forest:

KWy5Cc3.jpg

Meanwhile their attached mortar platoon deploys to a minor railway siding:

JOQnte5.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

This is a good one. It's balanced and it's difficult from either side.  Also, Casili Road for a more armor centric meeting engagement. Great fun. Good challenge from either side of the map. Just to pick a couple of my favorites from playtesting. I also like Too Close for Comfort from the German side. It's very difficult, but a manageable small number of units and a tough tactical challenge.

Personally I don't play the quick battles at all, so it is all campaigns and scenarios for me. I played one so far, with Brazilians, which I found good. I had short looks at the briefings and maps of some others and there seems to be a good variety of different setups with some really interesting and extreme terrain. So all in all I would give a thumbs up. That being said, it feels like the modul maybe would have needed one more "thing" in it to really round it out. Sure, there are lots of new nations in it, but many feel like variations on what is already there. Realistic of course and not a huge deal, but because of that one wonders if maybe having the RSI in, or the FSSF, or the aforementioned French variants would have made it feel a bit more of a slam dunk. Another aspect is that in many ways, if feels a bit like the "star battles" Anzio and Monte Cassino had been covered in Gustav Line. This is probably unfair, but it certainly feels like you are playing in more of a "backwater" after June 44, with fewer big standouts. On the other hand, that also means you will learn more about an underappreciated part of the war, so I can go both ways on this.

One thing I haven't noticed so far by the way are the infamous "version 4" AI misadventures. I had never bought one of these upgrades before, but it seems like in this version whatever bugs there were were largely fixed.

30 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

It sure does look awesome. Never ceases to amaze me how good this game looks. Thank you for your trouble, Sarge.

No worries fella, I'm now fifteen minutes into the fight, and as @Ultradave says, it's a really good scrap.....I'm now beginning to take control, but I'm playing the AI.

Against a human this one would be tooth & nail!  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

They provided more scenarios in the module than originally promised and they all play very well. The new 'Northern Italy' region has a change in building facades making the game look different. This is the first of the CM titles to push to war's end. The Germans, Americans and Brits see an influx of late war vehicles. 10th Mountain Division and Gebrigsjagers of 4th Independent Mtn Division butt heads - on a snow-covered mountaintop! The last time anyone fought over a snow-covered mountain in CM was CM:Afghanistan. Gameplay is different from '43 Sicily or the flatlands of Russia or forested Ardennes. As for 'star battles', pushing through the Apennines and into the Po valley is hardly a minor feat. Two of the CM titles are entirely fictional, R2V module at least has a firm historical basis.

Down to the last 40 minutes of 'A February Thaw'.....It has been an epic battle!

My earlier assessment that I was taking control proved sadly mistaken!  We were forced to defend against several surprisingly well planned attacks.....We've beaten them off but we are in no shape to counterattack now.  We're just holding on to what we have and waiting for the clock to tick down.

In some areas the carnage has been indescribable:

Y8ZU7yM.jpg

I'd post more images, but I don't want to spoil the scenario for anyone else, it's still too new IMHO.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead