Is there a way to make the Italians playable in 1944/45?

I am pretty sure you can:
Simply start by choosing an early date and select the italian troops you want. Then change the date - and select the french/brazilian forces.

I think this should work.

Edit:
Do this in the scenario editor - I'm not sure it will work for quick battles (rarely play them myself)

Edited by umlaut

1 hour ago, umlaut said:

I am pretty sure you can:
Simply start by choosing an early date and select the italian troops you want. Then change the date - and select the french/brazilian forces.

I think this should work.

Edit:
Do this in the scenario editor - I'm not sure it will work for quick battles (rarely play them myself)

It works in scenario editor yes, I was hoping for a QB but this will have to do! Ty

You can create a 'faux QB'.
Select the QB map you want, import it into the editor, change the name and save it in the 'scenarios' folder.  Now that your new scenario's safe to work on import anyone you want in any time frame you want (with some creative altering of scenario dates while picking units). Drop the units on the map and you're new scenario's good to go. You can either rely on the QB map's standard AI orders or you can tinker with the AI to better suit the forces on the map

That's pretty much what I had in mind after thinking about it. Never tried that but might have to. Sounds interesting.

i haven’t thought of doing it this way before - never occurred to me to mix and match like that. 

Edited by Ultradave

This is what my friend and I did back in 2012 to fight that 20 000 point battle. http://community.battlefront.com/topic/104558-axis-side-20-000-point-quick-battle-dar/I wrote an instruction sheet on how to do it: http://www.lesliesoftware.com/forforumposts/2012/Force Selection Instructions.pdf

Those instructions are focused on by passing the points limit but the same technique applies for multiple national forces or date shifting.

17 hours ago, MikeyD said:

You can create a 'faux QB'.
Select the QB map you want, import it into the editor, change the name and save it in the 'scenarios' folder.  Now that your new scenario's safe to work on import anyone you want in any time frame you want (with some creative altering of scenario dates while picking units). Drop the units on the map and you're new scenario's good to go. You can either rely on the QB map's standard AI orders or you can tinker with the AI to better suit the forces on the map

Won't this drop all the AI units into a single AI slot (unless they are otherwise assigned)?

26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Won't this drop all the AI units into a single AI slot (unless they are otherwise assigned)?

Yes, it will. And this is a good point. One that I just don't think about since I don't play much against the AI. If you want to then you will have to look at the plans and assign units to the groups that exist.

52 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@wombleonce posted the below information that I'm paraphrasing.  It might be applicable to this conversation:

You can, if you're picking AI forces yourself, mitigate the "putting units in inappropriate groups" problem by making sure there are enough formations in the force to have "some of everything" in each group. Rather than picking one Battalion "head", then chopping out everything but the AT platoon (4 guns) and a company (3 rifle platoons and a heavy platoon) of infantry, pick four Battalion headers and chop out everything but one AT gun, some Rifle squads and an MG or two from the Heavy Platoon for each Battalion. AFAICT, the AI assigns alternating Formations to the default 2 groups, and will leave one group empty if you just pick the one Formation. Or if you pick a Formation for infantry and another for Armour, you'll have all the Infantry in one setup zone, following one set of orders, and all the Armour elsewhere, operating according to a different timetable which probably won't support your infantry's route.

A few years ago where some bones came out for FI, there was discussion about possible roadmap.

iirc, a pack containing Commandos and partisans was mentioned as being a possibility after R2V, as well as adding the RSI, Italian Co-Belligerents and fleshing out the existing Italian roster to add dismounted Breda Model 35, Solothurn and Cannone da 90/53 as a module. Is this still possible? 

I would gladly pay for a pack with partisans, commandos and goumiers and would certainly pay for a module expanding the Italians from '43-45

e: I had no idea that an Italian Co-Belligerent unit liberated Venice. They made pretty significant contributions to the Allied cause.

Edited by DougPhresh

3 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

A few years ago where some bones came out for FI, there was discussion about possible roadmap.

iirc, a pack containing Commandos and partisans was mentioned as being a possibility after R2V, as well as adding the RSI, Italian Co-Belligerents and fleshing out the existing Italian roster to add dismounted Breda Model 35, Solothurn and Cannone da 90/53 as a module. Is this still possible? 

I would gladly pay for a pack with partisans, commandos and goumiers and would certainly pay for a module expanding the Italians from '43-45

e: I had no idea that an Italian Co-Belligerent unit liberated Venice. They made pretty significant contributions to the Allied cause.

Yeah I'd love to simulate the Italian Civil War but I figure it's on to CMRT now!