Pause & Pop Smoke?

1 hour ago, IanL said:

I'll just add there is a lot of variability in how long it takes for infantry to pop smoke.

That's worth remembering. I always like to give the smoke a turn or two to develop before I start my next move anyway. Tip: Check Conditions to see which way the wind is blowing and how strongly. A strong wind or blowing from the wrong direction can really mess up your plan.

Michael

6 hours ago, markshot said:

How does stacking the above work (for infantry)?

The below is my infantry drill for Pop Smoke which I think pretty much contains what everyone else above said:

1. Check wind direction & strength1.

2. Position throwing team so the 20 meter thrown grenade lands where needed.

3. On the turn of the throw don't move the unit popping the smoke (Team “A”).
4. Give team “A” a Face command in the direction you want the smoke thrown.
5. With team “A” still selected, choose the Pop Smoke command.
6. Next turn, Fast the moving team across area (If Quick they may stop to shoot).

Notes: Smoke grenades, thrown by one team, can reliably obscure up to 3 A/S (24 meters). Smoke (not HE) hand grenades are automatically thrown 20 meters by the AI (three action spots). 1) Wind strength not more than medium. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

9 hours ago, markshot said:

How does stacking the above work (for infantry)?

Pop Smoke, then wait 30 seconds

or

Wait 30 seconds, pop smoke

To the best of my knowledge, the wait command only delays affects movement commands. It doesn't delay firing commands, facing commands, or smoke commands.

So 'face + smoke + 30sec wait' will change facing first, then pop smoke, as soon as the squad is finished changing facing. Meanwhile, the timer ticks down. In total, they will wait 30 seconds, then move to next waypoint, if they have one, no matter if they managed to throw the smoke grenade or not.

Edited by Bulletpoint

6 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

To the best of my knowledge, the wait command only delays affects movement commands. It doesn't delay firing commands, facing commands, or smoke commands.

So 'face + smoke + 30sec wait' will change facing first, then pop smoke, as soon as the squad is finished changing facing. Meanwhile, the timer ticks down. In total, they will wait 30 seconds, then move to next waypoint, if they have one, no matter if they managed to throw the smoke grenade or not.

Yes, that is what I observed.  So, it is safest to plot moves for the next turn.  As they say, "Die and Learn".