Some Questions

I am currently playing Wittman's Demise PBEM and have a couple of questions.  I am the Brits/Canucks and a few times one of my tanks had a German tank in it's LOS.  I targeted the tank and the red target line appeared.  However, the tank never fired while the German tank fired 4 times finally hitting and destroying my tank on it's 4th shot.  I guess there is a random element to whether my tank fires even though I have the enemy targeted?  Other examples were German tanks moving toward one of my tanks which was stationery yet the German got off the first shot destroying my tank.  This encounter was at close range.

If I have  one or two men behind a bush in hide mode I assume that enemy tanks/infantry at range will have a difficult time spotting them?  I set an arc of fire for them just a couple of meters in front of their position so they wouldn't fire.  Their purpose is to observe the movement of  enemy tanks.  I believe that different types of terrain provide different levels of concealment, is that right?  I have also found that men in a building unless they are facing the opposite way are spotted easily.  I assume it is because they are at windows where they can be seen. 

I am also playing a scenario in CMFI PBEM where I have some 88's.  I moved the ammo bearers directly beside the 88's and thought that by clicking on the Acquire command the 88's would replenish their ammo but that particular command is greyed out.  How do the 88's get the ammo from the ammo bearers?

Thanks in advance for any replies or comments.  i will be buying Rome to Victory as well.

There is no way to render an opinion on what you are describing without a screen shot or a video.  Generally speaking, if you can see something you can shoot at it so my assumption would be that your vehicle was partially obstructed in some odd or unusual way or perhaps there was something going on with the state of your crew.  For the 88s you don't need to acquire the ammo from the bearers.  When the bearers are close enough to the weapon the ammo will automatically be added to what shows as available for the gun.  You can easily test this by setting up an 88 in one spot with the ammo bearers somewhere else.  Look at the available ammo.  Then move the bearer close to the gun and look at the ammo again - you should see the gun's available ammo increase by the amount the bearers are carrying.

If you don't want to be seen I think your best bet is to hide, although they don't spot as well that way either so - not sure what to tell you there.  Spotting is as it is.

2 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

Generally speaking, if you can see something you can shoot at it...

Frequently, that is not accurate.  CM2 is NOT always WYSIWYG despite many claims.

The question is WHO can see the enemy target?  If the 3rd ammo bearer of an HMG crew can see the target, the UNIT may appear to see the target, but if the HMG gunner cannot see it he will not fire the HMG.

In the case of a tank, perhaps the CO or loader can see the enemy, but the gunner cannot see it and so does not fire.

At some point in the future (CM3?) it would be great if there would be an AI routine that would allow the unit to move a couple of inches so that the main weapon can be brought into a firing position when encountering the above situation as it a common phenomenon.

•  
10 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

Generally speaking, if you can see something you can shoot at it...

Frequently, that is not accurate.  CM2 is NOT always WYSIWYG despite many claims.

The question is WHO can see the enemy target?  If the 3rd ammo bearer of an HMG crew can see the target, the UNIT may appear to see the target, but if the HMG gunner cannot see it he will not fire the HMG.

In the case of a tank, perhaps the CO or loader can see the enemy, but the gunner cannot see it and so does not fire.

Well I'll just assume that just because you have an enemy tank in LOS and targeted it, other unknown factors could come in to play.  However not sure I buy your example of:

After all the crew are only feet or inches from each other.  If the commander or loader or even the driver can see the enemy tank don't you think they would yell it loud enough that everyone knew?  I can understand a delay in firing when not all the crew see the enemy tank initially but I had a number of situations where my tank sat there for about 40 or more seconds not firing while the enemy tank fired 4 times, hitting on their final shot.

34 minutes ago, CanuckGamer said:

•  

Well I'll just assume that just because you have an enemy tank in LOS and targeted it, other unknown factors could come in to play.  However not sure I buy your example of:

After all the crew are only feet or inches from each other.  If the commander or loader or even the driver can see the enemy tank don't you think they would yell it loud enough that everyone knew?  I can understand a delay in firing when not all the crew see the enemy tank initially but I had a number of situations where my tank sat there for about 40 or more seconds not firing while the enemy tank fired 4 times, hitting on their final shot.

@Erwinis not saying that the behaviour of the gunner not seeing and therefore not firing at a target that his commander/radio operator/driver can see is a desired behaviour - he is just describing what happens in the game currently.

There may of course be other explanations but in this instance it does seem to be a spotting issue.  Other factors affecting troop performance can be suppression levels, leadership, training and motivation meaning that an unsuppressed, well-led, well-trained and highly motivated unit will generally get the drop on lower quality units.