CMBN - Upgrading to Version 4

Hello Everyone

Apologies for asking something that may have been answered a million times before, however from the answers I've found I'm still a little confused!

I bought CMBN Commonwealth Bundle a long time ago and would like to upgrade to Version 4.

I bought the Version 3 and 4 Bundle for $15 last night but am confused in what order I install upgrades and various patches. 

If someone could list the order of installs,upgrades and patches. I would be very grateful.

I have Windows 10 64bit.

Thank you for your time,

Ryan

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Holman said:

Curious:  do the Market-Garden campaigns have the same problem, or is it irrelevant as we're out of bocage terrain?

In other words, is the problem just bocage or also hedges?

It's across all titles while evading in close terrain. It's not apparent in BS/SF2 because things die fast. It's more apparent in BN. We tend to excuse troops rushing towards known enemy position in built-up areas. It's more flagrant in bocage and occurs  too often to chalk it up to a "war story" .

FI has such diverse content that you could overlook it there (aka good war story). I don't have FB or RT so YMWV.

Edited by Howler

It's a shame.  I been trying to finish CMBN campaigns I halted when other games were released, and yes in v4 it is very hard to get units to do what one wants (compared to the other titles and previous versions).  Units will regularly leave good cover to run out into the streets and get massacred.

14 hours ago, Howler said:

It's across all titles while evading in close terrain. It's not apparent in BS/SF2 because things die fast. It's more apparent in BN. We tend to excuse troops rushing towards known enemy position in built-up areas. It's more flagrant in bocage and occurs  too often to chalk it up to a "war story" .

FI has such diverse content that you could overlook it there (aka good war story). I don't have FB or RT so YMWV.

oh I see, thanks for the precision here. I might do some testing before commiting to a campaign then.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, Howler said:

What defines "close terrain"?

Are there verified cases outside of bocage?

15 hours ago, Holman said:

What defines "close terrain"?

Are there verified cases outside of bocage?

Close terrain is the opposite of open terrain. Anything that would force you to send troops into nooks and crannies for spotting purposes (ie shorter sight/fire lines).

Specifically, for this discussion, anything that causes the path finding to work a little harder... tall walls, structures, streets, alleys, woods,  bocage, etc... anything man made or natural that would cause a barrier.

I have no idea what is verified. It's been near three years and counting that one needs to carefully choose which scenarios are playable in BN. I've had troops run head long into enemy positions in all such terrain in CMBN. All too often to make it playable for me. Thankfully, the modern titles are there to play instead.

The patches for BS/SF2 are good. As I play WEGO, path finding will always be a 'sensitive' issue.

I simply answered a post regarding the fitness of CMBN. Of all of the titles - it remains the most broken one for me.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:38 PM, Howler said:

Earlier, I tried the "Foliage runners" test map in the different CM  games. In CMBN v4.01 / v4.02 it gives the weird Tactical AI behaviour with high and low bocage. When I run a converted test map in CMFB or CMFI with low bocage (they do not offer high bocage) the bug does not occur. It must be something CMBN specific, since CMBN handles bocage differently from other titles. Also it affects all of CMBN, which means it can be seen in the Market garden maps when they have low bocage placed somewhere.

CMBN V4.00 does not have this bocage bug, but was criticised for fleeing tactical AI behaviour in case of HE explosions.

CMBN v3.12 has neither of the above issues.

• 3 weeks later...

So are we just expected to accept the fact that with the latest engine update this game is broken? Because I've just installed and I'm finding the AIs behaviour and the difficulty of the battles to be crazy, much much harder than CMSF2 or CMBS. I can't seem to keep my troops from fleeing, and they seem to just drop like flies.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to know if the developers were even working on fixing all the issues with the game engine update? As they are still currently selling it, and a lot of people such as myself were not made aware of this issue until after purchasing. I haven't seen anything from the developers so far to even indicate that they are aware of all the issues with the game engine.

There have been HUGE amounts of comments since v4 was released so you can rest assured that BF is aware of the issue.  For now they are probably more focused on getting new releases out.  It could also be that CM2 engine is starting to get creaky and the time approaches when a CM3 engine has to be developed.

I think the issue isn't that big, although i don't play much bocage anyway. I think V4 is certainly an improvement now.

before latest patch there was a bigger issue imo, with troops fleeing cover when under fire. they changed the behavior. and they posted that they are aware of this bocage bug and working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I´m into CMBN since release but sailed along with V4 right from the bat to this very day across all titles and never payed that much attention to the difference in this regard. I forgot how things were back then. To most extent I´m happy with it even when playing hedgerow warfare and older campaigns.

Is the retreat mechanic for low morale/quality troops very different between v3/v4? Playing some of the very huge campaigns with troops that waver quick the sometimes erratic retreat mechanic can make it quite work intensive at times for me.

Edited by Aquila-SmartWargames