Smoke not smoking

danfrodo

hey all, anyone seen this behavior before:? -- I am on battle #4 of Blunting the Spear.  I called for smoke from 105mm howitzers, but the shells seem get swallowed.  Tiny little impact and zero smoke.  Like shells landed in soup.  But it's open, dry field.  conditions are dry.  

Any ideas?  W/o smoke I am in a bit of a bind for sure.  Can't approach the objectives due to SU76 & T34s hidden in the village areas.  

17 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

oh, there it is, alt-k.  I must've accidently hit this.  Thanks, that fixes it.  Didn't even know it existed

My pleasure. Worth noting there is a wide range of hot keys that can toggle stuff on or off. The combos are in the manual but worth being aware off. As I have discovered myself when I inadvertently toggled off smoke myself a while back. Easy done. 

I know about the hotkey panel, somehow I just never noticed that one.  classic, something right in front of me for years and never saw it.

While I've got your attention, if you could ask the russians to not occupy all the buildings in the village objectives it would also be a great help.   😊

those awful soviet SMGs..... and just had artillery strike land shells in two full halftracks.  Ouch.  very lucky strike because it must've been plotted before the smoke blocked all view to the area.  germans have so little infantry in 1944, losing even a couple sections really hurts.

1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

those awful soviet SMGs..... and just had artillery strike land shells in two full halftracks.  Ouch.  very lucky strike because it must've been plotted before the smoke blocked all view to the area.  germans have so little infantry in 1944, losing even a couple sections really hurts.

Ouch! Yup SPW units are not very resilient when it comes to losing dismounts. From what I can ascertain they took heavier than average losses I guess mainly due to their role and, if a SPW is hit you can lose a lot of men. 

I don’t know if you’ve come across Military History Visualized on YouTube? Has some great videos regarding use and deployment of panzergrenadier and panzers from primary sources. If nothing else will make you feel better about taking losses!

6 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I know about the hotkey panel, somehow I just never noticed that one.  classic, something right in front of me for years and never saw it.

While I've got your attention, if you could ask the russians to not occupy all the buildings in the village objectives it would also be a great help.   😊

Don't feel bad - this type of thing most often happens with turning off trees, I've fallen foul of that on a number of occasions - thinking 'why is LOS so cr@p on this map?'  I got three quarters of the way through testing one of the CMFB campaign missions with trees turned off before I realised my mistake.  Luckily I had that facepalm moment before I had given feedback to the author which would have been … the map has serious issues.

16 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Thanks for that tip GeorgeMC, now subscribe to the miltary history visualized channel.  Good stuff.  

Now, can you get the russians to run away so I don't have to lose half my infantry digging them out of the villages?

Just use tonnes of HE! :)

Nice one - MilHisVis is a brilliant channel and he - Bernard - also has one Military History non-visualized which is less graphic heavy but still useful info. If you are on twitter he's pretty active there too.