CM WWII: Are tanks "overpowered"?

46 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1  Interesting stuff. Below is my drill for close assaulting tanks.  IMO one of the deadliest things about close assaulting tanks is the crew of the knocked out tank.  They seem to bail out of the tank very angry and looking for revenge.  They often get said revenge. 

Agreed it is very dangerous and those crews are going to shoot at your guys. The best way to deal with them is to have another team or two in position to open fire on them as soon as they jump out of the tank. If I have one or more other teams covering the tank I typically watch the crew go down or surrender instead of watching my already freaked out assault team take a casualty, run and then take more casulties. Plus, one of the best ways to cover your assault team is to have another team actually firing at the tank. Even if its just small arms plinking off the armour the tank crew seems to care about that and focus on them. Sure it is a dangerous job but so is assaulting the tank.

Spot on steps removed since I would not change them

46 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Notes: 1) An Armor Target Arc will not allow the fire team to fire on the bailed out tank crew.    

Thumbs up - cover arcs are to prevent your men from shooting - so don't use them when you think you might want your guys to fire.

I personally would not bother with the cover arc for the assault team because if bad stuff happens I want them to be free to defend themselves. I get that the idea is not to reveal their location but if the TC does open up I'm cool with them taking him out while they approach.  Nothing makes a tank crew more skittish than loosing their boss. Plus, if the tank's infantry support does show up I want that assault team to open up on them too. At that point your assault is likely toast and things are going to end badly for the assault them - the least we can do is let them fight back. IMHO we owe them that.

16 hours ago, IanL said:

The best way to deal with them is to have another team or two in position to open fire on them as soon as they jump out of the tank

The problem is that the guys start firing at the tank crew before they actually exit the tank, so they waste bullets and sometimes get caught in mid-reload. Also, the tank crews are too able to rapidly spot enemy infantry outside the tank and engage them effectively. In reality, bailing out of a wrecked tank is a panic affair, with crewmembers often dazed and confused. Also, they go straight from the darkness inside the tank to bright outside conditions. They should get a massive spotting penalty for the first five seconds at the very least.

Same problem goes with bunker crews.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

They should get a massive spotting penalty for the first five seconds at the very least.

Tank crews should be in a state of "Panic" and also "Exhaustion" when exiting a blowed up tank.  Not sure why BF decided to allow bailed crews to have so much self-control.  Maybe the govt contracts BF were trying for many years ago didn't want to depict that sort of horror if the game was to be used in training.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

The problem is that the guys start firing at the tank crew before they actually exit the tank, so they waste bullets and sometimes get caught in mid-reload. Also, the tank crews are too able to rapidly spot enemy infantry outside the tank and engage them effectively. In reality, bailing out of a wrecked tank is a panic affair, with crewmembers often dazed and confused.

I have not actually seen my men open fire at the crew before they are out (or didn't notice). Given the changes made over the last few updates that have toned down bailing crew's responses the chances of the crew getting the best of my men has dropped to basically zero if I have additional teams to cover the assault and close to zero if it is just the assault team. I will grant you that occasionally the crew manage to cause a casualty first and things can go wrong if that happens and you only have one team covering. The thing is that does not happen regularly any more.