professionalXMAZ

how to get M10 to shoot its .50

They will. I tested it myself:

They do it on their own. So they need to be in a position where they are busy with important stuff forwards and the spot and are threatened from behind.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

They will. I tested it myself:

They do it on their own. So they need to be in a position where they are busy with important stuff forwards and the spot and are threatened from behind.

Indeed they can target by themselves but this wasn't taken into question by me. I suggested that there be a target light command that would allow the user to use the .50cals as an actual target light line to anywhere, so that you as the player can just select which area to target with .50cals alone.

Edited by user1000

On 10/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, professionalXMAZ said:

so in my situation, if I back the m10 towards enemy infantry they should shoot at them? 

Yes, I believe so. They need to be unbuttoned. Be aware whom ever you are backing towards has every right to shoot at you though.... 🙂

In the OPs case, with the main gun inop, there will be no Target Light command (IIRC). The only functioning weapon will be the .50, so it will "move up" to the Target command.

A covered arc would, however, make the turret rotate to the rear (assuming the covered arc is to the rear of the vehicle. A covered arc to the front would prevent the .50 from firing. (<- this is supposition, dosed with a lot of experience.) So, the covered arc solution is a non-starter.

That leaves the sub-optimal solution of reversing towards the enemy, or just letting the TacAI control the .50.

1 hour ago, c3k said:

That leaves the sub-optimal solution of reversing towards the enemy,

Indeed.

Or... you could withdraw the SP gun since in real life it would not be sticking around the battlefield if it was unable to fulfill a useful role.

Real-world criticism said the M10-mounted .50 cal was all but useless in battle. Its an AA self-defense weapon meant to be fired skyward at aircraft attacking along the line of march. Of course Audie Murphy became famous for clambering onto the back of a burning M10 and using the .50 cal to gun down approaching enemy. But there's a reason why they award people medals for doing stuff like that.