how to get M10 to shoot its .50

1 hour ago, IanL said:

They will. I tested it myself:

They do it on their own. So they need to be in a position where they are busy with important stuff forwards and the spot and are threatened from behind.

Indeed they can target by themselves but this wasn't taken into question by me. I suggested that there be a target light command that would allow the user to use the .50cals as an actual target light line to anywhere, so that you as the player can just select which area to target with .50cals alone.

Edited by user1000

• 2 weeks later...

In the OPs case, with the main gun inop, there will be no Target Light command (IIRC). The only functioning weapon will be the .50, so it will "move up" to the Target command.

A covered arc would, however, make the turret rotate to the rear (assuming the covered arc is to the rear of the vehicle. A covered arc to the front would prevent the .50 from firing. (<- this is supposition, dosed with a lot of experience.) So, the covered arc solution is a non-starter.

That leaves the sub-optimal solution of reversing towards the enemy, or just letting the TacAI control the .50.

• 2 weeks later...

Real-world criticism said the M10-mounted .50 cal was all but useless in battle. Its an AA self-defense weapon meant to be fired skyward at aircraft attacking along the line of march. Of course Audie Murphy became famous for clambering onto the back of a burning M10 and using the .50 cal to gun down approaching enemy. But there's a reason why they award people medals for doing stuff like that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, MikeyD said:

Of course Audie Murphy became famous for clambering onto the back of a burning M10 and using the .50 cal to gun down approaching enemy. But there's a reason why they award people medals for doing stuff like that.

I always wondered if the whole story was either made up or hugely inflated for propaganda purposes.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, MikeyD said:

Its an AA self-defense weapon meant to be fired skyward at aircraft attacking along the line of march.

So were the ones on the Sherman. The fact that it was easily accessible by the crew and could be rotated with the cupola helped a lot with ground-to-ground use, however later versions moved it to a pintle mount on the roof of the turret, which effectively makes it useless in CM because Battlefront is not going to be bothered with letting you place an infantry Joe on it and restricting the turret's rotation. I definitely understand why.

Edited by Frenchy56

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 3:22 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I always wondered if the whole story was either made up or hugely inflated for propaganda purposes.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/299775

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/299785

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/299784

The better part of B for Baker/15th Infantry watched Murphy really do that.  No conspiracy needed.  Underestimate the short and scrawny kids at your own peril.

1 hour ago, Megalon Jones said:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/299775

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/299785

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/299784

The better part of B for Baker/15th Infantry watched Murphy really do that.  No conspiracy needed.  Underestimate the short and scrawny kids at your own peril.

I would never underestimate anyone short and scrawny. But I wonder if this account has ever been independently verified, or if we just have to trust the US army. All sides pumped out lots of propaganda during the war, and i don't think they ever stopped since..

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

I would never underestimate anyone short and scrawny. But I wonder if this account has ever been independently verified, or if we just have to trust the US army. All sides pumped out lots of propaganda during the war, and i don't think they ever stopped since..

Propaganda is aimed on the national scope.  What good does it do to pump up the reputation of a single 1st Lt stuck in a strategic backwater (Colmar Pocket)?  In order to believe that, you would have to accept that the higher ups engaged in a conspiracy to force literally 100-150 men to lie under oath.  Then these same people would all go to their graves keeping it a secret.  To the general public, Murphy is known as a B movie actor who starred in Westerns in the 1950's.  The people who testified would certainly recognize him.....would you keep that secret?  Imagine the tabloid $$$ available.  

I have no doubt that he actually did it. The actions leading to an award of the Medal of Honor must be thoroughly investigated and verified. Sure, there have been some awarded for questionable merit, but that was mainly in the 19th century. Also,  Audy Murphy was the most highly decorated soldier of WWII. If I remember correctly, he was also wounded in that action that caused him to be invalided out of the Army. He wanted to make it a career.

Edited by Vet 0369

1 hour ago, Megalon Jones said:

Propaganda is aimed on the national scope.  What good does it do to pump up the reputation of a single 1st Lt stuck in a strategic backwater (Colmar Pocket)?  In order to believe that, you would have to accept that the higher ups engaged in a conspiracy to force literally 100-150 men to lie under oath.  Then these same people would all go to their graves keeping it a secret.  To the general public, Murphy is known as a B movie actor who starred in Westerns in the 1950's.  The people who testified would certainly recognize him.....would you keep that secret?  Imagine the tabloid $$$ available.  

Good points there. +1