Rome to Victory Release Date

23 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Of course I have to take it on faith that they are saying what the script said as I don't speak the language.......for all I know they could be saying "this Elvis guy ain't too bright, is he?"

I've heard a rumour that they are in fact singing the praises of the fabled Bangalore Movers ;)

Hindi and Urdu are similar enough to pass for each other in game. While trying to figure out which language would have had the most speakers amongst Indian Divisions in Italy I couldn't find anything more useful than this in the official history:

'As an illustration, their Army newspapers now appeared in eleven languages, instead of two as in peace time. Even the impassive Gurkhas had their Gurkhali news sheet, which they read with avidity. '

Imagine that process- A struggling actor in another country (possibly), sent a script they know little about. A job in video games seems exciting enough. They open the script and scan it. Maybe at home in front of a mic? In a plush studio with carpet on the walls, with a poster of Rick James over the boards? Taps the mic- "Sibilance, sibilance". Quiet on the set!

"Is there any direction given?" The actor inquires. No notes, beyond "should exhibit terror", or "pinned down (wot!?!)". They struggle to find the character, then are told "it's actually a lot of different guys that need distinct voices- all you!". The actor sags in his chair. Straightens up, and begins..."Advance!". 

I really want to have an alternate take mod with the flat delivery. "Move out, or take a nap, or whatever".

Nicely done, Elvis. Stuff like this makes the game educational, as well as realistic and even informative. I'm psyched to learn some Urdu.

20 minutes ago, benpark said:

Imagine that process- A struggling actor in another country (possibly), sent a script they know little about. A job in video games seems exciting enough. They open the script and scan it. Maybe at home in front of a mic? In a plush studio with carpet on the walls, with a poster of Rick James over the boards? Taps the mic- "Sibilance, sibilance". Quiet on the set!

That paragraph could totally be in a book by Julian Barnes :) Nicely written, Ben.

40 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

My favorite was one in CMx1 (don't know if it made it into x2, at least I can't recall hearing it) was "Come back! Coward!"

Michael

That is still in there. "Come back you coward." If I'm not mistaken it is heard when surrendering troops are rallied

On 9/10/2019 at 7:23 PM, BFCElvis said:

Right? Ever wonder what the South African voices will sound like? Trevor Noah? Charlize Theron? I guess folks will have to wait to find out. 🙂

/shudder

Just no 🤢

Hopefully like both my grandfathers did when they were there...

On 9/10/2019 at 7:23 PM, BFCElvis said:

Right? Ever wonder what the South African voices will sound like? Trevor Noah? Charlize Theron? I guess folks will have to wait to find out. 🙂

As a South African, I can definitely say that your way off on the Trevor Noah accent. His accent is now as American as they come. Charlize Therons accent is also allot more American now, until she switches to Afrikaans. Both these individuals changed to get their accents allot to fit in with the tv/movie scene. So they are extremely poor examples.

Arnold Vosloo (He had roles in the Mummy I & II and Blood Diamonds) has a proper English South African accent. 

On 9/10/2019 at 8:09 PM, DerKommissar said:

Die Antwoord? I am hyped to find out which language (English or Afrikaans) they will speak -- let alone how they sound.

Die Antwoord?? These guys are also an extremely bad example of South African accents in Afrikaans & English as they go out of their way to be as degenerate and "Brakpan" (What we call redneck hillbillies here in S.A) as they can be. Their going the way of Lady Gaga, which is to shock people with their antics to get fame. 

Im hoping that the Dev team got some decent actors in to do the voice overs. 

Edited by Aquatica

On 9/12/2019 at 7:37 AM, Andy_101 said:

Who is the actor who said that?  He's a legend and he may not even know it!  

Don't know. But yeah, his accent really makes it work. Though at this point I hate the original sound files LOL.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Here's a screenshot that I liked a lot

No matter how long it took them and regardless of the hell it put them through to code, the hit decals are pound for pound one of the greatest things they did for the series. There's more immersion in that one pic than 20 games of CM1 could produce — no small feat.

Mord.