Here is What I Dont Understand about BF?

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

Very well said Vet 0369

That is basically how I looked at this thread.

We live at a time where there is people that have no patience and all of their thoughts are self centered.

So this thread is a perfect example of that.

Person likes the game, wants more of the game and is not getting more of the game fast enough for their personal wants. - Thus there must be a problem and that problem must be from the source of who makes the game. They need and must do it faster.

Never in the process of their thinking is there a care or concern about that source or how it would impact that, the thought is focused on getting more faster, nothing else.

Never does the thought cross their mind that the method presently being used is what is already creating the thing they enjoy so much.

They have no respect for the efforts of others if it does not meet their perceived needs.

The sad thing is, their view does impact things and how people view this company.

But what is even more sad, I am sure this trait is impacting their life in more aspects than what we see here. I am sure their frustration  with life is constant.

That's very deep and all...

But...and i can only speak for myself...

NO ! I do not only think about myself when i say that it might be a good idea that BFC seriously considders to expand their manpower...

Personally...i don't need any new CM games being released right now...as i don't even have a computer to play them on...

So not getting new games right now is not a big issiue for me...

But i am geniually concerned about the releaserate we have been seeing during the last couple of years and is not totally convinced that something like this can be maintained for much longer without more and more people getting seriously dissapointed with the productivity of BFC and decide to move on to play other things...

There has not been a shortage of threads and posts on this forum expressing dissapointment and frustration about the progress being made during this time.

Besides new modules...the gameengine is starting to show its age.

Will it be able to attract the intrest of new players for the next couple of years ?

If not...that would be a bad thing...

Personally i'm not mainly worried about not getting new modules to play - fast enough - i'm more worried about not getting them a all...in a few years...

And that would be VERY sad !!

Nice post @Vet 0369.

I will just take issue with the bold part of this:

3 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

While a spellchecker can be a buddy (I actually consider it a crutch for the lazy), a dictionary is your best friend.

I see the spellchecker much differently. It is what lets me get my thoughts out and communicate. Without it I would either say nothing in writing or look like a total moron (OK more than now in some people's eyes ;-). I have a learning deficit around processing  and speed. What that means for me is I had a really hard time learning to spell. Some say I never have. It also means that while I can type much faster than I can write I also make a lot - I mean a lot of typing mistakes. Without the spellchecker I have to stop much too frequently and look things up. With the spellchecker I can just type and go back and fix my spelling mistakes and typos with the assistance of the spellchecker. It allows me to concentrate on what I am trying to say and create a clear point that I otherwise would not be able to easily accomplish.

So, not a crutch for this lazy ass writer. :D

32 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

But i am geniually concerned about the releaserate we have been seeing during the last couple of years and is not totally convinced that something like this can be maintained for much longer without more and more people getting seriously dissapointed with the productivity of BFC and decide to move on to play other things...

I think we'll get a better grasp on that after the FI and RT modules are released. And the time span between them. LOL. If we don't see the East Front in the next six months I think Aragorn is gonna stroke out. Once they are released it'll be a fresh starting point to gauge productivity from. There's been a lot of weirdness over the last couple years what with SF2 and Chris leaving etc. We shall see. I am an optimist, so I am feeling pumped about the future.  In the meantime I have a ton of CM, modding, and Field of Glory II games to play!

Mord.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Nice post @Vet 0369.

I will just take issue with the bold part of this:

I see the spellchecker much differently. It is what lets me get my thoughts out and communicate. Without it I would either say nothing in writing or look like a total moron (OK more than now in some people's eyes ;-). I have a learning deficit around processing  and speed. What that means for me is I had a really hard time learning to spell. Some say I never have. It also means that while I can type much faster than I can write I also make a lot - I mean a lot of typing mistakes. Without the spellchecker I have to stop much too frequently and look things up. With the spellchecker I can just type and go back and fix my spelling mistakes and typos with the assistance of the spellchecker. It allows me to concentrate on what I am trying to say and create a clear point that I otherwise would not be able to easily accomplish.

So, not a crutch for this lazy ass writer. :D

Yeah, OK, I understand. I had to repeat the third grade because I had trouble learning to read. Five years later, I was tested for reading speed, comprehension, and retention. I read 460 words per minute with 80% retention and comprehension, so I guess being held back worked. I probably used the wrong term, and should have said the autocorrection part of the spellchecker. As I said in the “Edit” reason, the autocorrect changed “were” to “we’re” in two places. I tend to be hypercritical, as I wrote Airworthiness Directives (instructions to address unsafe conditions on aircraft), and Regulations and policies for the FAA, and you really don’t want errors in those. My apologies if I offended.

1 hour ago, Vet 0369 said:

I tend to be hypercritical, as I wrote Airworthiness Directives (instructions to address unsafe conditions on aircraft), and Regulations and policies for the FAA, and you really don’t want errors in those. My apologies if I offended.

No apology needed just me getting triggered over my savour :). Heck someone has to pay attention to those kind of details - those FAA regs and policies really do need to be right! We need a god mix of skills, interests and capabilities in this world.

6 minutes ago, IanL said:

No apology needed just me getting triggered over my savour :). Heck someone has to pay attention to those kind of details - those FAA regs and policies really do need to be right! We need a god mix of skills, interests and capabilities in this world.

LOL, not anymore! Retired and joined the Gramma Kops. At least we speak the same language, sort of.

MALEFACTORS BEWARE! I AM ON WATCH!! 🧐👮🏻‍♂️

Umlat posted:

Fixed that for ya ;)

GuP-Switch-Release-Date_11-28-18.jpg

For those who do not recognize this image it is from a great little anime called "Girls und Panzer". My roommate who is a fan of the more serious orientated anime even liked it.

The story takes place where WW2 tanks  are maintained for sport-style warfare competitions and large carrier ships known as Academy Ships support mobile sea communities. Of the many activities high school students can participate in, one of the most popular is "sensha-dō"the art of operating tanks, which is considered a traditional martial art.

As a (technical) martial art, Sensha-dou has a set of rules:

• All vehicles used shall be designs produced before the end of World War 2 (apparently more senior leagues like to push this)
  • There are no restrictions on the weight class and armaments of tanks; in theory one team could field a team composed entirely of heavy tanks against a team composed entirely of scout vehicles.
  • All vehicles used shall be closed-topped, and IFVs and support weapons are disallowed (no artillery platforms, though again, cheating is not unknown)
  • All vehicles shall be equipped with reinforced carbon fibre armour, capable of protecting the crew from massive shocks and the impacts of enemy guns
  • All guns shall be equipped with computerized shells that allow for hit detection and that somehow fail to injure crew- machine guns can be fitted with bullet versions of these
  • All vehicles are equipped with a computerized scoring system which determines when the vehicle has recieved enough damage to be knocked out. "Enough Damage", of course, varies as plot and dramatic requirements demand.
  • There are two match types: last tank standing, which is self-explanatory, and capture the flag, which involves destroying a selected 'flag' tank on each team.
  • Teams are normally 10 tanks each, though matches later in tournaments allow for 15 to 20 tanks as well
  • Teams aren't allowed to call on outside observers or intercept each others radio transmissions, though this rule is often circumvented.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, Vet 0369 said:

Loose - the opposite of tight (My trousers are so loose that they fell down in the middle of the mall.)

Lose - the opposite of win, or to misplace something (I hope the New York Yankees lose the next game to the Boston Red Sox. They might if Mookie Betts doesn’t lose his edge)

Whose - generally used as a possessive for a group (The council, whose responsibility is to manage ....)

Who’s - possessive for an individual (That loose woman who’s dog peed on my trousers on the floor of the mall ....), or the contraction for “who is” (who’s going?)

The correct possessive is "whose", also for the singular case: 'The woman whose dog peed on the floor...'

13 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Who’s is a contraction of who is

Bud, you’re absolutely correct. My response with that was actually “tongue in cheek.” However, English is an active and evolving language. Yes, in “The King’s English,” “who’s” is a contraction, the same as it’s. However, it is used in some dialects as a possessive. I personally use “whose” as the possessive because my dialect is that of eastern Massachusetts, which is closer to “the King’s English” than most other dialects in the U.S. it’s similar to using “shall” as a mandatory requirement. I never used it when writing regulations because it’s so ambiguous. It was used to indicate a mandatory requirement in legal writing all the time, but when someone argued for using it, i’d explain the ambiguity by asking “Shall we dance?” That usually got my point across. As I said in my response to IanL, “we speak the same language, sort of.”

Edited by Vet 0369

On 9/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, Mord said:

I think we'll get a better grasp on that after the FI and RT modules are released.

We have been hearing that for several years now.  After every release takes 2, 3 and 4 times as long as expected, we have people saying "just wait until XXX is released and that will open up the floodgates.  I think the big slow down was right after Chris left, though most of us didn't hear about that for almost a year.  Each time we go months and years between releases, the audience for CM2 stuff gets baked down to a smaller and harder core.

I'll come back to my original wish from back in the CMSF1 days.  Smaller and faster releases with more vehicle and scenario packs.  I would actually like to see more of those and fewer big releases.

1 minute ago, DerKommissar said:

No -- even though, I am sure my boss would often agree with that rule. It's a Rule of the Internet. Should be in your modem's manual.

🙂 I am familiar with XKCD (and rule 34 from that cartoon is spot on) - just having a little fun by mixing cultural references.

4 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

We have been hearing that for several years now.  After every release takes 2, 3 and 4 times as long as expected, we have people saying "just wait until XXX is released and that will open up the floodgates.

Well, the one time they didn't take 2 to 3 times longer it almost cost them their reputation. Waiting sucks but so does buying a game that is bug ridden, clunky and released too soon. Then you still end up waiting, if the company even decides to fix stuff that is. It's a double edged sword and you are damned no matter what you do.

I didn't say anything about floodgates. "floodgates" would never be a word I used to describe Battlefront's release schedule. EVER. LOL.

I think the big slow down was right after Chris left, though most of us didn't hear about that for almost a year.  Each time we go months and years between releases, the audience for CM2 stuff gets baked down to a smaller and harder core.

To me the slow down was tied in with Chris, SF2 and the two modules. But I prefer to err on the side of optimism. If things don't come out at a more steady pace after the two modules then maybe I'll worry.

I do agree that the length could take a toll on the player base but the only ones that truly know are Steve and Charles. They see the sales, so anything else is conjecture and gossip.

Smaller and faster releases with more vehicle and scenario packs.  I would actually like to see more of those and fewer big releases.

I've got no argument with that. Though I'd rather see FB get a full on CW module before that takes place full scale, or in tandem with packs for other titles. Whatever gets FB the same treatment BN got. I am more about the equipment and formations than scenario packs myself, though.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

I'll come back to my original wish from back in the CMSF1 days.  Smaller and faster releases with more vehicle and scenario packs.  I would actually like to see more of those and fewer big releases.

Are you certain that this will increase the rate of releases? Parallelism must be taken into account, and BFC usually makes scenarios/models in parallel AFaIK. Could be that vehicles and scenarios are the critical path?

That's just one problem of product development. No one can predict the future. There are so many virtually unpredictable variables that go into deadlines, that even the most educated and experienced developer will be off. These variables generally increase with the size of the production, as well.

29 minutes ago, IanL said:

🙂 I am familiar with XKCD (and rule 34 from that cartoon is spot on) - just having a little fun by mixing cultural references.

Fair enough! xD