Here is What I Dont Understand about BF?

On 10/10/2019 at 2:48 AM, Bulletpoint said:

How did that go?

We played some CMBO and CMBB together... I remember the last game was a snowy quick battle. She ran her guys into a house and then I blew the house up. That was the last game we played. :D:D

But she was cool about it, it was all for research, she was doing a game review (for CNN of all places) of the CM series way back when she worked the game industry. ;)

Edited by AstroCat

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, BFCElvis said:

I was thinking about you this morning. 🙂

Thanks for the good vibes.  The new screenshots look good, although without more they don't mean much IMHO.  I don't think that many here doubt that some work is happening on the CMRT module, or that it will be released at some point.  

And I have to say that the new screenshots didn't exactly set the forum on fire...

21 minutes ago, 76mm said:

Thanks for the good vibes.  The new screenshots look good, although without more they don't mean much IMHO.  I don't think that many here doubt that some work is happening on the CMRT module, or that it will be released at some point.  

And I have to say that the new screenshots didn't exactly set the forum on fire...

They set me on fire. Ben started putting them up and I was "wowed ".....big time.  To the point where I started poking HQ about posting a bonette, since it isn't official announcement time yet. I thought they brilliantly set the mood. 

But, just because it rocked my boat doesn't mean it had to rock everyone's. 

11 hours ago, 76mm said:

The screenshots are definitely nice and appreciated--didn't mean to come across as unappreciative--but without more they mainly drew reactions from all of the usual suspects.

Again, it in no way was meant to be a formal announcement. A proper announcement will be on the home page and include a link to the modules own pages where more in depth screenshot galeries and the TO&E list etc will be. This was meant to be fun. I originally didn't want any units to appear in any screenshot expect for the tanks firing at each other at night. But Ben's picture with the windmill looked really nice and the landscape, rather than the men, are the focus of the shot. Releasing these was an aesthetic thing more than an informational thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 6:57 PM, 76mm said:

In any event, for me personally six years between the release of a base game and the first module for it is simply not enough to maintain my interest, especially when most of that module's content will consist of re-hashed material from other games.  Disappointing.

Agreed.

I feel sorry for players who only play one theatre.

I'm checking multiple times a day for news of both the upcoming modules, but I still have oodles of scenarios and QB maps I haven't played in all the WWII games. And I've barely scratched the surface of CMBS, although I've played quite a bit of SF2. You'd have to be a full-time gamer to run out of fresh battles.

Once you include the vast range force possibilities in QBs, I'm still a very long way from having lost interest.

I used to play a broader swath, but overtime  having multiple games installed and switching between them (not to mention dealing with engine updates) became a pain. I would likely play a greater variety if I didn't have to have ~4 games installed with varying levels of engine updates (because paying $40 for them all to upgrade really isn't something I want to do).

If Battlefront had gone with a DCS style parent and children setup I would probably own more of their content and play more of it. But as it is I realized I wasn't actually playing all that much of it and therefore own less.

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Ah diddums. If that's a pain, try playing the game whilst suffering from chronic arthritis.

Oliver, we are in the 21st century 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4043921/windows-10-get-started-eye-control

It is not perfect, but relatively speaking, in the same league as upgrading from the good ole chamberpot-contents-out-the-window-every-morning arrangement to Edwardian-era toilet arrangements. 

PS: without the humour now, as a child of a sufferer of chronic arthritis who loved his computing time, these devices are a significant QOL improvement. 

It was less intentional and more of a slow realization that I hadn't played CM:BN in a few years. I went through the install process and found it at engine 1 and at that point I just lost any sort of enthusiasm I had for it. Shrugged my shoulders and went back to the occasional CM:RT QB.

Re: Arthritis. I've heard some decent things about the Steam controller working well for folks. I imagine it could also work with CM given the general mouse-driven system. Although since Combat Mission isn't available on Steam I'm not sure how well the configuration system would work.

5 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

It was less intentional and more of a slow realization that I hadn't played CM:BN in a few years. I went through the install process and found it at engine 1 and at that point I just lost any sort of enthusiasm I had for it. 

Good news Combat Mission games now have the all in one installer.  I upgraded to a new PC a while back so had to download everything to the new PC.  Very easy and straight forward.  It could be difficult back in the day but not anymore.  And I'm in no way a computer tech type person.  :)  

On 11/7/2019 at 4:51 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Good news Combat Mission games now have the all in one installer.  I upgraded to a new PC a while back so had to download everything to the new PC.  Very easy and straight forward.  It could be difficult back in the day but not anymore.  And I'm in no way a computer tech type person.  :)  

Yeah anyone still installing from version 1 is more of a glutton for punishment than I am.  One of the many things I love about CMSF2 is the simple installation versus the rocket development exercise when reinstalling CMSF 1.  :D  

On 10/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, 76mm said:

The screenshots are definitely nice and appreciated--didn't mean to come across as unappreciative--but without more they mainly drew reactions from all of the usual suspects.

That will never change so I just take it as status quo.  Due to RL BS I haven't had much time to actually play the darn game, but plenty of time to read on the state of the gaming industry in general.  Take a wander over to the Ubisoft forums on Ghost Recon Breakpoint if you want to see a dumpster fire of poor judgement.  BF may be slow but they deliver the product we want consistently and don't muck it up.  Ubi apparently has not made the same commitment to their user community.  Breakpoint sales tanked badly, so badly the company has released a survey to try and figure out how best to fix it and has delayed release of other games to figure this out before they trash all their intellectual property.

Yeah we are impatient, we always want more and BF is slow and very bad at estimating dates.  However they will deliver and right now there are few gaming companies that can still claim to do so.

Throwing in my 2 cents, been around long enough to have an opinion on this which is probably against the grain of the fan-boys, sorry lads.

What attracted me to the original CM back in 2004 was the 3D nature of the simulation and all the benefits the gave us over the 2D top down model we call came from. It was a ground breaking experience that continued into CMx2 engine in the form of CMBN first. But since then I think there has been a lack of innovation in my opinion. There is not enough different about the other WW2 titles if you already own CMBN (plus upgrades/ all modules). 

Now I completely understand BF are a small development team and this is a niche market, and as such users like niche features as discussed in this thread already. But these niche features take development time and come at the expense of innovation in other areas. They please the dedicated followers of course and these are the most vocal voices on this forum, but they do not attract a more general audience to purchase additional products, people like me.

I have no need to purchase CMFI, CMFB, CMRT because the offer me the same functionality and options when managing small/medium unit tactics, they look different in terms of environment and units type for sure but its not enough of a unique selling point to make a purchase worthwhile.

Agree that Operations mission feel a bit detached from each other,  more could be done to offer continuity support between missions and to allow the mod community to get creative with Operations (Devils Decent being the best example to date IMO).

Completely understand why we will never see a campaign map (from the 100s of arguments about this over the last 15 years!!!). 

The editor is an amazing feature in my opinion and keeps me playing either with community scenarios or creating my own. 

On an ending note CMx2 does offer something pretty unique in the market, sure its not perfect but find me something better ? ... not sure there is at the moment.

My 2p.

Scott

Edited by scottie

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Always best not to refer to fellow forumites as f-b's if you want a fair hearing. It can only end badly.

Please speak for yourself.  The fact is that there are plenty of fanbois on this forum, and they do not encourage candid discussion of the game.  If the fanbois don't like labels perhaps they should stop labeling everyone that voices the slightest criticism as a hater or troll.  I'm happy to hear a wide variety of opinions on this forum.

1 hour ago, 76mm said:

Please speak for yourself.  The fact is that there are plenty of fanbois on this forum, and they do not encourage candid discussion of the game.  If the fanbois don't like labels perhaps they should stop labeling everyone that voices the slightest criticism as a hater or troll.  I'm happy to hear a wide variety of opinions on this forum.

This year I have spent more time on the forums than I had for many many many years, as it's now part of my job. 🙂 Frankly, I had expected more calling out of fanbois and haters and trolls. I have found refreshingly far fewer than I had expected. Sure, you get the disagreements about things from time to time but I've found both "haters" and fanbois" to be respectful and stay on their point for nearly every conversation. On the "outer boards" I had heard rumblings about critics of the games being shouted down but the reality doesn't seem to be true. Certainly, supporters will respond, often by repeating things that have been been hashed and rehashed many times before, but they seem to do it in a respectful way. The receiver may not like the answer that they get but they are getting it from well meaning people. Likewise, people who are critical normally will post their opinions in a friendly and sincere way.   From a moderator point of view I have had to do close to nothing other than block spammers. And the few times that things do flare up it is almost never the Us vs Them kind of disagreement that does it...it tends to be more general personality differences.