Russian Forces in SF2

I highly doubt any texture mod switching is gonna work (the Russian models are different than the Syrians). Even if you rename the Russian mds (I think that's the name) files to Syrian I don't think they'll take because ALL the Syrian soldier models are wrapped up in those couple files (you could try it). You can't hex edit like the old days. It use to be each soldier model had its own set of files, now they are all combined. Best you could do is rename the Russian sound files to Syrian. Other than that you probably gotta explore all the stuff 37mm and Aquila are doing in the various model threads to find a way around it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

5 minutes ago, Mord said:

I highly doubt any texture mod switching is gonna work (the Russian models are different than the Syrians). Even if you rename the Russian mds (I think that's the name) files to Syrian I don't think they'll take because ALL the Syrian soldier models are wrapped up in those couple files (you could try it). You can't hex edit like the old days. It use to be each soldier model had its own set of files, now they are all combined. Best you could do is rename the Russian sound files to Syrian. Other than that you probably gotta explore all the stuff 37mm and Aquila are doing in the various model threads to find a way around it.

Mord.

Alternatively we could try sending ludicrous quantities of hookers and blow to BFC offices until they cave in...🤪

There is the old CMSF1 "Euroscape mod" which has been mentioned before & which replaced the Syrians with Russians.

I partially updated this mod (for one scenario) back in January.

Aquila then also partially updated it.

There were a bunch of 'Euroscape' scenarios made which can be found at my collection... from what I can tell the Euroscape modders considered Syrian Special Forces to make pretty good 00's Russian soldiers.

Fully updating Euroscape (and giving it a few extra additions... sloped European style roofs being the most obvious) is on my 'to do' list after Heaven & Earth is released.

35 minutes ago, 37mm said:

Fully updating Euroscape (and giving it a few extra additions... sloped European style roofs being the most obvious) is on my 'to do' list after Heaven & Earth is released.

I worked a tiny bit on that mod, and the roofs were actually what I focused on. Not sure why they didn't make it in. I may not have finished. But, from what I remember, guys sent to the roof will actually end up under the eaves (inside the house). Kinda cool. I don't think they get a protection bonus though. Hard to remember, it was what, 11 years ago?

You may be able to just copy and paste the entire building set from Black Sea (minus churches)? Do they have mds/lod files? If so it'd be a one shot deal.

Mord.

13 minutes ago, Mord said:

I worked a tiny bit on that mod, and the roofs were actually what I focused on. Not sure why they didn't make it in. I may not have finished. But, from what I remember, guys sent to the roof will actually end up under the eaves (inside the house). Kinda cool. I don't think they get a protection bonus though. Hard to remember, it was what, 11 years ago?

You may be able to just copy and paste the entire building set from Black Sea (minus churches)? Do they have mds/lod files? If so it'd be a one shot deal.

Mord.

That's mostly what I did for the video (although they were Kieme's HD BS textures).

As for the sloped roofs; in Heaven & Earth we've model swapped the mosque roof option (for most roof sizes) only. This means the Pixeltruppen will not climb onto the "sloped roofs" & we retain the option of flat roofed buildings... this system could clearly be used for a Euroscape update.

We also already have European style roofs for 'colonial' buildings.

This post shows most of this...

Edited by 37mm