CAAR - CMFI Rome To Victory Beta - The Kirpan & the Rhino

As ever a lovely report and some good views of the situation.

If you can get his tanks to button you buy your Stug a bit more time but my guess he will be lucky to nail 2 tanks before he brews.

But of course all depends on Ian and how he handles his armour...

Exciting....

Watching this thread might encourage me to return to the CM fold and actually play again...

Thanks for your work in doing this..

1 hour ago, Holien said:

As ever a lovely report and some good views of the situation.

If you can get his tanks to button you buy your Stug a bit more time but my guess he will be lucky to nail 2 tanks before he brews.

But of course all depends on Ian and how he handles his armour...

Exciting....

Watching this thread might encourage me to return to the CM fold and actually play again...

Thanks for your work in doing this..

Ooo, that would be very bad if I only take out two tanks. Ian has ten times that number, approximately, based on the ratios we discussed. 

A lot does depend on Ian, and I’ve no doubt he can handle armour well. His use of hull down is masterful. 

I hope you return to CM. It’s flattering to think this may be what does it, but really, you know it’s an amazing game system. And CMFI is looking to be fantastic very soon.

Yes 2 for 1 would be bad, by the way that assessment is not based on what I see from Ian's side.

Just a gut feel of a lone Stug trying to take on any group of Sherman's.

But let's see...

Your arty is your force multiplier if it can hit home...

Edited by Holien
But does not equate to gut damn auto correct!!!

12 minutes ago, Holien said:

Yes 2 for 1 would be bad, by the way that assessment is not based on what I see from Ian's side.

Just a gut feel of a lone Stug trying to take on any group of Sherman's.

But let's see...

Your arty is your force multiplier if it can hit home...

I’ll let the next panel speak for itself... ;)

2 hours ago, Holien said:

Sweet, now a Panther dug in would scare me, but once found smoke and bypass would be order of day....

I guess the Panther turret just acquired the Sherman...

If you can keep him focused on that the Stug stands a better chance....

Ha! If I could afford Panthers we’d be playing a different battle. ;)

Bud,

Wonderful story as always.  Loving all of it.  The map looks great and your storytelling mixed in with screenshots of battle progression are really working well.  These battles always come to life when you start including some personal details for the characters in your screenplay.

A quick question.  It looks like your arty will come down on your advanced scouts in the woods.  Were you going to pull them back?  Remember, Kurt's brother-in-law is up there...unless he's the one that "found" the mine from earlier.  Maybe it's best that Kurt doesn't know about that, hmmm?

Always a treat to read these Bud.  So nicely done.  You've a large following even though it seems quiet - we are hanging on your every move!

Heinrich505

1 hour ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

Wonderful story as always.  Loving all of it.  The map looks great and your storytelling mixed in with screenshots of battle progression are really working well.  These battles always come to life when you start including some personal details for the characters in your screenplay.

A quick question.  It looks like your arty will come down on your advanced scouts in the woods.  Were you going to pull them back?  Remember, Kurt's brother-in-law is up there...unless he's the one that "found" the mine from earlier.  Maybe it's best that Kurt doesn't know about that, hmmm?

Always a treat to read these Bud.  So nicely done.  You've a large following even though it seems quiet - we are hanging on your every move!

Heinrich505

Thanks, Heinrich! I'm delighted you're enjoying the story so far. I really like to give some more...human...depth to the story - because it's more than just an AAR - it's meant to be a story indeed.

I haven't forgotten the teams from 3rd Squad. The only team that is in any danger is the middle one, and they will have to be pulled back, but the artillery will land in 6 minutes so I have time to withdraw by the time the spotting round comes. Nice of you to worry about the lads. Kurt's sister will never forgive him otherwise!

39 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If Von Reiser were to tuck his StuG into the bend in that road looking down toward the bridge, he would be a nightmare to get rid of, especially if you could position some infantry to defend his right flank.

The bend is too far back, by the time he got in on the action, he would not be supporting anyone, the enemy would be in possession of the village. However, the idea behind your suggestion is not without merit; I thought of pulling back some more and engaging the enemy from the flank when they are forced to cross the open fields to approach the village. That shift in position is already under way though I’ve not shown it here as I am waiting for some turns. 

Good idea though. :)

Not in front of the game at the moment but to my recollection that’s not possible in CMFI. It seems a simple add, but in fact it requires redoing the vehicle model entirely, which is no small job for hundreds of vehicles. That’s why it’s not retrofitted to the older games, AFAIK. :) 

Edited by Bud Backer

I hate fighting in cities and mountains. Hills, towns are ok, I can do open terrain ...... but the Alps... Going to be some rocky torture on troops and vehicles. It's going to need some heavy mountain fighting strategy on this one. Get on your google earth to see what I'm talking about if you're not familiar.