CAAR - CMFI Rome To Victory Beta - The Kirpan & the Rhino

In the upper-left/northeastern quadrant of the map, we find the hamlet. If you recall from the overview, due south (right) of this is the ridgeline, and beyond that, the river, fords and the allied deploy zone. Down/west is the larger town, and the ground begins to rise just below the end of this image. 

You'll note that while there are several sandbag, trench and foxhole positions, but with the exception of one foxhole position at the top centre, in the woods adjacent to the hamlet, they are all occupied. Like in the village across the river in the previous map segment, the flak 88 is in a trench, and adjacent is an ammo bunker. The 20mm flakvierling is in the clearing between the woods and the row of buildings, in a trench as well. Scattered among the buildings is the second Fallschirmjäger platoon. 

One Nashorn is in the farmer's field near the hamlet, waiting for Kurt's orders. The other is tucked behind a house on the left, half of it completely hidden and the gun pointing toward the ridgeline. A third (unmarked) vehicle is near the houses. There are some trucks available to move infantry, but they are vulnerable and are just there if an opportunity presents itself. The whole force is largely a static one, and the defences are geared toward grinding the enemy down, not outmaneuvering them. 

Near the bottom-right, again in a trench, is a parachute 75mm recoilless gun, just like in the village. On the bottom-left is an officer who is a good spotter as he is the mortar platoon commander, as well as one of the Luftwaffe's lighter mortars. There are heavier ones in the town itself. 

The enemy is going to approach from off the right side of the map. To move toward the main objective, the town, they can attempt to bypass the hamlet, but leaving a force like this on their flanks is unlikely. So they will have to fight here first. As you will see in the next post, some of the defences of the town can help in this fight, because the town is substantially higher than the hamlet.

UaAXjPWXDHch1XkbOiqJJUDwD36bgLlcOY-mVfd6

Edited by Bud Backer

Finally, we get to the town, the main objective, and the last section to explore. This is in the northwest/bottom left corner of the map.

On the right you see the ridgeline running up from the bottom of the image to the top. There is a decoy position in there, which may see real use, depending on the how the battle unfolds. Two TRPs should allow quick response to the enemy advance. I can't see them being on the open fields so they are placed where the allies may attempt to use cover, the woods to the left and right of the town. Not showing an icon is an HMG unit in the houses that are just up and right of the word "TRP", to cover the woods and give the enemy some trouble. 

Two bunkers on the right side of the village have HMGs and should hopefully provide some decent suppression. Scattered among the buildings is the better part of a Gebirgsjäger company, with mortars, HMGs and 75mm infantry guns for support. Near the road at the east (top) end of town is the last 20mm flakvierling, and the Pantherturm is to the left. It has excellent LOS across the map as do many of the forward units. In town, tucked in alleys, are two Stug IIIGs and two StuH42s.

Behind the town at the very bottom is a tower with the overall commander, a Gerbirgs battalion CO and some supporting units including a dedicated artillery spotter. This tower gives a view over most of the map, in some places even across the ridgeline onto the south side of the river near the village. 

X2e_Aeevi4q_Rr9oO3sOgygwbi_cTcaMKWsGEQNw

I like the two perspectives, the comic book style for the up close and personal shots, and the broad overview shots detailing the battlefield as a whole. 

Can we expect to see any new artwork for the Germans in this AAR? Stuff like infantry clothing, tank camo, etc. 

That town looks like a real pain to take. Ian has his work cut out for him. 

2 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I like the two perspectives, the comic book style for the up close and personal shots, and the broad overview shots detailing the battlefield as a whole. 

Can we expect to see any new artwork for the Germans in this AAR? Stuff like infantry clothing, tank camo, etc. 

That town looks like a real pain to take. Ian has his work cut out for him. 

Thanks. I don’t usually “step out” of the comic format in my AARs but for clarity’s sake I have done so here, as I know people will be looking at both Ian’s and this AAR and will want to compare the situation from each perspective.

Yes, you should see new (although WIP) artwork in the AAR. And some new German kit too!

I hope I can keep him from even getting into the town!

All the action is confined to a relatively small area of the map right now. The two thirds of the split 3rd Squad, identified as scouts on the image below, are going to be in position in the next minute. They are already tired from the uphill run. The lagging team is going to take a couple more minutes to get to a useful position.

Note that in the comic distances may appear less due to using zoom to show things that are far away but needing foreground elements in view as well. 

jwQq2_NRiX4Y2xBSKFJC-xadI0fDwTEUXq2npK94