Blender Questions and Issues

JohnO

I got bitten by the Blender bug and trying to get the mdr file to work. What I did was place a spare tire/wheel and a antennae on the m1114. as you can see by the screenshot below.

ZdcZp2O.png

The spare tire/wheel and the antennae were join as instructed. Everything got saved. I place the m1114.mdr file along with the bmp files in a separate folder and place it in the z folder. When I open up the scenario editor and select a m1114 vehicle it doesn't show the vehicle with a spare tire or antennae.

Can anyone help out?

If it exported, that's a good sign. Is the model triangulated?

Texture-wise- I'd check that the normals are facing the correct direction. That tab is CNTRL-N (and check the orange tab for faces), if I can remember in the multitude of hotkeys Blender brings. Also that there isn't any setting in the textures that may have inadvertently kicked back the opacity. I did that by accident, and only discovered it after watching 8 hellish tutorials on various nonsensical texturing tasks.

Thanks for replying back benpark.

Here is another screenshot of when I added backpacks to the sides of the M1152a1.

rHQPqZh.png

I can use the blender with no problem. After loading the mdr file to the z folder. Open up the scenario editor select M1152. I only see the m1152 with either one or two backpacks showing on the side of the M1152a1 bench. I want to see all four of the backpacks. Not one or none at all. That's not why I added four backpacks and only see one.

In the m1152 z folder, there is only three mdr files:

m1152a1.mdr

m1152a1-lod-2.mdr

m1152a1-lod-4.mdr

Now the million dollar question, "Do I have to add the four backpacks to the other two mdr files"?

Aquilla (and myself) do not bother creating separate lod files... indeed I'm starting to wonder how much they're even needed by most modern PC's (after I'm finished with Heaven & Earth, I intend to do some serious optimization experiments).

Instead, you can copy the original .mdr file a few extra times & then rename those copies as the lod files (in this case lod 2 & lod 4).

It should be noted that a lot of gear seems to come with an auto randomzation feature to help give a rag-tag effect to vehicles.

It doesn´t show up with the new stuff because you´re likely didn´t replaced the lod mdr files. Without replacing the lods, the vehicle will show up as the old one from anything than very close camera distance. Simplest way is like 37mm explained to make copies of your new model .mdr and name them lod-2 lod-4 etc.

You can invest some work and create dumbed down lod models of your custom model but I do not see a real demand for this. I estimate that there is an performance impact but I myself didn´t notice any noticeable performance degradation from using the original mdr for the mdr files and people watching my playthroughs now that I use alot of custom models. I am even at the point, to replace all my CMSF2 vehicle lod files with the original mdr in order to improve graphic fidelity as the models sometimes become blocky too fast. 

You don´t see all backpacks because they´re likely have the name "gear". Everything named "gear" will be randomized. Rename the backpack model entities to backpack1, backpack2, or another name of your choice and they will show up permanent.

These questions and many more have already been tackled in the 3D models thread, make sure to read the thread at least once.

Edited by Aquila-CM