Weapons Plt Leader

I notice that the US weapons platoon leader (4th plt) does not have a radio. Whereas the other rifle squad leaders do. Is this a bug or historical? It is kind of a pain either way because he is in charge of the motor section and they cannot be used by the FO without radio com’s.

The vast majority of the time the TO&E is correct. So, if you find evidence that there should be a radio by all means let us all know. ;)

Those 60mm mortars are best used directly anyway. Keep them just out of harm's way behind the pointy end if your advance and use them to directly fire on the hard to dislodge enemy. Target light your friend.

Once again, it is always best to let your fellow forumites know where you noticed something. Just as an example, the 4th Platoon HQ in the first mission of the Triona campaign doesn't have a radio, but if you look around the set-up zone you'll find a dismounted jeep that has a radio, and bob's your uncle. 

You will also notice that 4th Platoon will include both MG and Mortar teams. I have seen video makers send their HQs off into battle with the MG's and then spend the rest of the video moaning because "useless BFC scenario designers" won't let them use their mortars. So keep your HQ within range of his mortars, his Company CO or a radio. Or follow the gentleman from our colonies north of the 49th, and use the 60mm in a direct fire role.

In CMBN and CMFB the weapons platoon leader does have a radio, and so does his top sergeant in the HQ support team. This may represent an improved TO&E in 1944-45 compared to the 1943 version in CMFI. The weapons platoon organization changed significantly from 1943 to 1944 so it's possible that the army agreed the old organization made it too cumbersome to use the mortars. In any case I believe the SCR-536 handheld radios were issued at the company level, so the game programming must be making some guesses about how they'd be allocated to platoons. 

I seem to recall that in some previous version of CMFI, maybe 3.0, the 4th platoon leader *did* have a radio, and that this changed in 4.0, but I don't know if this is deliberate and I may be remembering wrong.

Edited by General Liederkranz

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, General Liederkranz said:

In CMBN and CMFB the weapons platoon leader does have a radio, and so does his top sergeant in the HQ support team. This may represent an improved TO&E in 1944-45 compared to the 1943 version in CMFI. The weapons platoon organization changed significantly from 1943 to 1944 so it's possible that the army agreed the old organization made it too cumbersome to use the mortars. In any case I believe the SCR-536 handheld radios were issued at the company level, so the game programming must be making some guesses about how they'd be allocated to platoons. 

I seem to recall that in some previous version of CMFI, maybe 3.0, the 4th platoon leader *did* have a radio, and that this changed in 4.0, but I don't know if this is deliberate and I may be remembering wrong.

I was wondering if this was something that the US Army made an improvement to later in the war. Thanks for the reply boys, was wondering if anyone noticed this before and to confirm, I am seeing this in the Triona campaign.