A Tiger having a bad day

25 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

I had to sign up to Pinterest to be able to view these pictures without some popup screen. Typed Gender='Carrot' and good to go. Age 144 was not accepted though.

hmm you didn't try to go through immigration yesterday did you?  I'd bet "carrot" would bring the system to it's knees.

51 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Could the gun barrel really keep itself straight against gravity with so much of the material missing?

Oh yeah absolutely. The majority of the material in the gun barrel is to hold in the explosive propellant and the round and do that in such away as to continue to function correctly after hundreds of rounds and the odd knock and bash that normal use dishes out. The amount of steel needed to support itself is lots less that what is in the typical gun barrel. Having said that someone hanging off the very end might find their feet touching the ground - leverage is powerful. :)

31 minutes ago, IanL said:
1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Could the gun barrel really keep itself straight against gravity with so much of the material missing?

Oh yeah absolutely. The majority of the material in the gun barrel is to hold in the explosive propellant and the round and do that in such away as to continue to function correctly after hundreds of rounds and the odd knock and bash that normal use dishes out. The amount of steel needed to support itself is lots less that what is in the typical gun barrel. Having said that someone hanging off the very end might find their feet touching the ground - leverage is powerful. :)

Then again, the thicker the steel in the barrel, the more heavy the hanging part would also be... But I'm no mechanical engineer.

18 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Then again, the thicker the steel in the barrel, the more heavy the hanging part would also be... But I'm no mechanical engineer.

Indeed and if it happened close to the turret and was particular nasty (left a very thin portion of the barrel behind) then it absolutely is possible that the weight of the extended barrel would cause the gun to droop.

Oh and in a nice bit of irony my degree is in fact BSc Eng in Mechanical Engineering.

24 minutes ago, IanL said:
19 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Indeed and if it happened close to the turret and was particular nasty (left a very thin portion of the barrel behind) then it absolutely is possible that the weight of the extended barrel would cause the gun to droop.

Oh and in a nice bit of irony my degree is in fact BSc Eng in Mechanical Engineering.

Would have been ironic if I had been nasty towards you and tried to tell you that I knew better. But in this case, it's just a good thing that you were qualified to answer my question.

Great pics!... I started life on the tanks before I went to the airborne side whilst in the army.

You should try sitting in a Chieftain Mk V (showing my age here) when it has a 'flashback'.

All that energy, heat and flame when the main 120mm is fired, comes back into the turret instead of the muzzle.

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin2k you had to sign up to view the photos? When that pop-up blocks the screen I just click on the little "X" in the upper right corner and it is gone. Then I continue just scrolling along the sunny pixelated side of the street.

Hey by the way, whats the difference between Bird flu and Swine flu ? ..... one needs Tweetment and the other needs Oinkment...