The almost war between Russia & Ukraine I somehow missed

in late November of 2018, the Russians first fired upon, then seized by FSB Spec Ops, three Ukrainian vessels in the Kerch Straits. Because I was swept up in the non-stop whirlwind of a large family vacation (people driving or flying in from all over the country) and watched no TV at all, nor was on the Internet,  I never knew this happened. Nor was I aware that war could easily have broken out and that Porochenko did declare martial law, but took no military action against Russia's naked Act of War. Probably just as well, given the extremely adverse Correlation of Forces. Believe it or not, I first learned something was supposedly going on in Ukraine involving a Russian attack in a TV show where an American is video dating a Ukrainian beauty who tells him she can't come meet him in Mexico because "the Russians have invaded" and "everything's shut down." The article has a picture of a bunch of Ukrainian tanks deployed near the Sea of Azov, the port of Mariupol, Ukrainian entrenchments and a war-damaged building.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/11/26/on-the-brink-of-major-war-ukraine-grapples-with-russian-attack/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

5 hours ago, John Kettler said:

in late November of 2018, the Russians first fired upon, then seized by FSB Spec Ops, three Ukrainian vessels in the Kerch Straits. Because I was swept up in the non-stop whirlwind of a large family vacation (people driving or flying in from all over the country) and watched no TV at all, nor was on the Internet,  I never knew this happened. Nor was I aware that war could easily have broken out and that Porochenko did declare martial law, but took no military action against Russia's naked Act of War. Probably just as well, given the extremely adverse Correlation of Forces. Believe it or not, I first learned something was supposedly going on in Ukraine involving a Russian attack in a TV show where an American is video dating a Ukrainian beauty who tells him she can't come meet him in Mexico because "the Russians have invaded" and "everything's shut down." The article has a picture of a bunch of Ukrainian tanks deployed near the Sea of Azov, the port of Mariupol, Ukrainian entrenchments and a war-damaged building.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/11/26/on-the-brink-of-major-war-ukraine-grapples-with-russian-attack/

Regards,

John Kettler

Because the status of the waters is disputed and the presense of important infrastructure in the straits (the bridge) Russia set up the procedure to pass through the straits that included early announcement of intent, standing in que for the pilots, receiving pilots and so on. This is how Ukrainian ships (including combat boats) passed through the place.

However Poroshenko apparently had some problems at home and thus ordered a provocation, as martial law (if he managed to pull it off) would have delayed the elections and so on.

https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2019/01/07/the-kerch-strait-skirmish-a-law-of-the-sea-perspective/
May be of interest as the western expert view.

Edited by ikalugin

ikalugin,

That was a useful and informative article. Seems to me a lot of grief could've been avoided had the Russians simply built the bridge either higher or made some sort of provision for a drawbridge, raisable section or what have you to allow unimpeded ship navigation. 50 hour delays seem obscene to me for merchant vessels, and while I get that the Russians are twitchy about their bridge (whose construction they did at breakneck speed, from what I recall), if they are flouting the rules regarding unimpeded passage of military vessels, then, in theory, that should be actionable.

Regards,

John Kettler

Alternatively they might have deliberately built the bridge that way as a great big '**** you!' to the Ukraine and their new western chums.....TBH I'd count on it.  ;)

PS - The Russians were very serious indeed:

That's the dainty little 'Harpoonalike' KH-35.....They have much bigger/faster ones for serious navies.  :)

Sgt.Squarehead,

That thought did cross my mind, and I certainly wouldn't reject your proposition out of hand. Since the Bal is on RT, that tells me the Russians are sending a strong message. Otherwise, they'd move at night, and RT would not only show nothing, but we wouldn't get so much as a whiff from Russian media or the government. Thanks for the vid!

Regards,

John Kettler

The bridge is fairly high (after all it needs to allow the navigation of Russian ships through the straits), the issue is with various Kiev Loyalist side actors discussing how it is either desirable to blow it up or how they are capable of doing so or how they plan to do it. Which lead to all the security measures around it.

Crimean_Bridge_1.jpg?uselang=ru

We have completed the rail line part of it as well.

Bal and other AShM systems were in Crimea before then.

Edited by ikalugin