Mods that work with CMFB

Been playing KG Peiper Campaign and noticed that many of the German AC's and halftracks are not modded.  Have tried taking Umlaut's "snowy" vehicles like the AC's and the 251 series from (IIRC) CMRT but most don't work in CMFB.  

Had to rename the 234 series of vehicles with a [winter] suffix and that worked for them.  But, the 251c series doesn't appear in the game even after renaming.

Any ideas - or are there mods of these vehicles made for CMFB available?

In CMFB the 251c halftracks are named this way:

sdkfz-251c-hull.bmp
sdkfz-251c-hull [muddy].bmp
sdkfz-251c-hull [whitewash].bmp

This means if you drop in an untagged mod and the terrain's either 'muddy' or 'snowy' the mod won't show up. The [muddy] or [whitewash]  tagged original art will appear in its place. Other than that, I can't think of a reason why a mod wouldn't take.

16 hours ago, MikeyD said:

In CMFB the 251c halftracks are named this way:

sdkfz-251c-hull.bmp
sdkfz-251c-hull [muddy].bmp
sdkfz-251c-hull [whitewash].bmp

This means if you drop in an untagged mod and the terrain's either 'muddy' or 'snowy' the mod won't show up. The [muddy] or [whitewash]  tagged original art will appear in its place. Other than that, I can't think of a reason why a mod wouldn't take.

Thanks for the clarifications...  The terrain in the mission has no snow, so I removed the [snow] tag and replaced with [winter].  That worked for the PzVg (late) which appears in game, but not for the 251c's.  Why the inconsistency?

The terrain seems muddy so will try renaming the 251c's and the 234 AC's with suffix [muddy].

PS:  I didn't see any [snowy] tags.  Do you mean [snow]?

Also, I saw a tag: [cold].  Any idea what [cold] looks like in game vs [winter]? 

Also, I can understand [muddy] (muddy vehicles) and [winter] (winter camo) and [snow] (snow on the vehicles).  But, what would be the difference between [winter] and [whitewash]?  

Is the naming convention different for different game families?  (Seems over-complicated.)

Well... I renamed all of Umlaut's 251/1 series to add the suffice [muddy] but they still do not appear in game.  Neither does [winter] or [snow] work.  In the mission these are 251/1c vehicles.  Does the "c" make a difference?

Or maybe Umlaut's 251/1 series only work in the title they were originally made for?

Edited by Erwin

[whitewash] tag is just that, the vehicle has been whitewashed. It only appears in January when there's snowy terrain deeper than 'patchy snow'.
The tag [snow] is like [muddy]. That's for snow on wheels and tracks and whatever. It appears when snowy terrain is on the ground in any month.
Vehicles don't use the [winter] tag that I recall. Maybe that tag would work, I don't know.

Uniform tags are entirely different beasts and I wasn't involved with CMFB uniform art. I do know the [cold] tag gives cold weather uniforms to soldiers in autumn and winter. There are seasonal [autumn] and [winter] tags for mountain horizon art and it appears these tags are also being used for German uniform camou schemes.

17 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

You can use whatever modtags you want. HQS has gun sounds that use the [autumn] and [winter] modtags.

Unfortunately it's very time confusing and frustrating trying to figure out what mods work in what weather conditions.  This will teach me not to to use mods made for another release (CMRT IIRC) in CMFB.  

Were any muddy or winter mods made for CMFB?

In other titles you can usually get away without making [muddy] tagged vehicle mods because often the only 'mud' on the base art is the tracks. The Bulge was a messier affair. The game comes with tagged wheels caked in mud, sometimes tagged hulls caked in mud. If you're using a mod that has no [muddy] art you could just copy the mod's hull and wheels (and sometimes skirts) and append [muddy] to the name.