Online magazine posted BF's game screenshot

Such a headline would never have appeared, in any kind of history, one would much rather have read, "Baldwin drives Musso out of Abyssinia". Although, I suspect that The Daily Fascist would have been loath to have printed such a headline. Doesn't quite have the same ring as "Hurrah for the Blackshirts".

11 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Bad experience.

Lol okay fair enough.  I wouldn’t however base your expectations entirely on the assumption that CMRT work starts immediately following CMFI. As Steve has mentioned some of these projects are running in parallel. CMFI is a really worst case example of time and effort. No other title has the issues of the Italian front. I have these visions of Steve using a map of Italy for target practice on his gun range. 

14 hours ago, sburke said:

Lol okay fair enough.  I wouldn’t however base your expectations entirely on the assumption that CMRT work starts immediately following CMFI. As Steve has mentioned some of these projects are running in parallel. CMFI is a really worst case example of time and effort. No other title has the issues of the Italian front. I have these visions of Steve using a map of Italy for target practice on his gun range. 

I hope you're right , really. But I'm not optimistic.

I think BF could do worse than starting to listen to the community more. I don't think Italy ever has been very popular among the forum members. North Africa/Tunesia would have been a better choice. In my opinion BF should concentrate more on the Eastern front. Lots of people would like to see a 1941-1942 Eastern front CM. Personally I would prefer 1943-1944. Kursk for example would be great basic game to start with. Everybody knows and loves Kursk. Lots of interesting modules are possible for the Eastern front, like the Winter war and the Finns, the Stalingrad period, Cherkassy 1944 etc. etc. Same for North Africa.

They could be produced much faster, make more cash and keep everybody happy. Think more commercial, don't be too ambitious, just take the money for a well made module and move over to the next module. Ignore the perfectionists. They will never be happy. Give the modding community more to work with, a lot of  these guys are so incredibly gifted and devoted, they will fill in the details for you. You've already lost too many of those guys over the years.

Just my two cents, but I know that I'm not alone in my opinion. You have the best wargame ever made and still websites like Wargamer hardly ever mention you, or just post some bad screenshots. They even make jokes about your release dates. Food for thought.

And last, but by no means least. Do something about your PR. Post regular information and screenshots on the forum. Keep us informed about your progress. Form a team of volunteers to post short AAR's or something. It will attract many forum members and publicity.

Edited by Aragorn2002

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I think BF could do worse than starting to listen to the community more. I don't think Italy ever has been very popular among the forum members. North Africa/Tunesia would have been a better choice....

I get that it must be dissappointing to really be inspired to see more Eastern Front coverage of this game. With only CMRT the base game around, without winter months. Though I don't care too much myself. I enjoy Italy + GL the most currently, and with the 4.02 Patch it is finally in good enough shape. That interest will probably shift to other battlefields in the future. I don't know much about the Rome to VIctory era, and does not really fancy me currently. Also because Germany was in no shape for proper opposition in the last year of the war. But maybe Rome to Victory is a nice opportunity to learn some more of those battles.

As to modding. CM seems to be limited on purpose in regard to modding options.  I put a lot of time in a Flight Sim Strike Fighters, which whas written to accept modding of almost everything. Though I love what it is, and what it can do. That tale did not end well commercially.

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Perhaps your family are nice people.

I may have taken it for granted over the years, but yes, I suppose they are nice people.

There are wheels-within-wheels on BFCs decision to produce an Italian front title. I recall when CMFI was released the game's sales took BFC by surprise and they had to scramble to produce additional disks and manuals. CMFI plays VERY differently than CMBN. For someone interested in combat tactics that's a big draw.

'North Africa' is a mighty broad a topic to expect in one title. If BFC ever does go to North Africa I'd expect it would start with Operation Torch - Americans in their Lees and Stuarts., then progress to Tunisia. The 1942 battle of El Alamein would be outside of the title's timeframe. Brits probably wouldn't show up until the first module. That's their usual pattern.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

If BFC ever does go to North Africa I'd expect it would start with Operation Torch - Americans in their Lees and Stuarts., then progress to Tunisia. The 1942 battle of El Alamein would be outside of the title's timeframe. Brits probably wouldn't show up until the first module. That's their usual pattern.

One can understand the commercial decision if US is the biggest market.  But, doing everything in reverse chronological order drives many of us nuts.  And the early days of fluid desert battles with Rommel vs the Brits would be far more interesting and different than Tunisia - which one suspects would play much like CMFI, so "been there, done that".

Paddy sips from the last Guinness that he managed to purloin back in the Delta, raises his eyes to God's heaven and murmurs. "For fecks sake, will yer tell thees eejits to stop keep calling me a fecking Brit!" 

Wanders over to the bordello's gramophone, cranks the handle, and puts on that old favourite of LIMEY troops.

"If Abyssinia was only the begin-yer of Mussolini's plans for Africa. It's a damn good job we stopped 'im in 'is tracks, and sent the bastard back."

I'm still waiting for my royalty check from Amen Corner for that one

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Paddy sips from the last Guinness that he managed to purloin back in the Delta, raises his eyes to God's heaven and murmurs. "For fecks sake, will yer tell thees eejits to stop keep calling me a fecking Brit!"

"You accepted the King's shilling, did you not, Paddy?"

"Ar...I suppose I did."

"Then, it is the British Army in which you presently find yourself is it not?"

"So it doesn't matter whether you hail from Edinburgh, Dublin, Katmandu, or bloody Chicago! You're still a British soldier!"

:D

Michael

I guess I'll jump in and be the stick in the mud who asks for more modern warfare content. 

I get that WWII will always and forever be the primary (by far) wargaming subject matter, but I think that CM excels at simulating conflict from the 1940's through to the modern day. And seeing how over saturated the market always is with WWII content, I would think that the less explored market for modern warfare might be a niche that BFC could gradually fill. By modern warfare, I mean anything post WWII that fits the CM model. Arab-Israeli Wars, Cold War conflicts (we already have one in the form of CMA)to include the various African Bush Wars that occurred throughout the later 20th century, and fun hypotheticals, such as a US invasion of Cuba in the early 1960s or a Fulda Gap game in the 80s. Then of course as the first page of this thread pointed out, modern warfare games (2010+) have a clear training potential to defense contractors/agencies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to the CMRT module (winter on the Eastern Front!) and I would love to see a CM game covering Kursk and even Barbarossa. I just hope they devote a little more time to semi/modern war as opposed to mostly developing WWII titles while producing modern war on the side. 

Several years ago I had joked that BFC was at risk of running out of 'popular' conflicts to cover! I'd doubt they'd make back their cost of development doing an india/Pakistan conflict in Kashmir. Judging by the comments here, there's still plenty of untapped conflicts out there with the potential for a return on investment. 

7 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

"You accepted the King's shilling, did you not, Paddy?"

"Ar...I suppose I did."

"Then, it is the British Army in which you presently find yourself is it not?"

"So it doesn't matter whether you hail from Edinburgh, Dublin, Katmandu, or bloody Chicago! You're still a British soldier!"

:D

Michael

Did I use the word British? No. 

Edited by Warts 'n' all

4 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to the CMRT module (winter on the Eastern Front!) and I would love to see a CM game covering Kursk and even Barbarossa. I just hope they devote a little more time to semi/modern war as opposed to mostly developing WWII titles while producing modern war on the side. 

I'm sure we all agree on that. I also would love to see a Fulda Gap game, a Russian invasion of Finland or Sweden or some other possible or far fetched modern CM. Fact is that BF didn't succeed in finding a way to produce games and modules on a regular base, as they intended years ago. So something has to change. Yes, there are many WW2 games, but very few on CM scale and they don't come close to CM. Personally besides CM I only play Command Ops 2, Atlantic Fleet, Panzer Campaigns, IL-2 and some other games that are VERY different from CM. In other words, if BF isn't going to give us what we want, nobody is.

Edited by Aragorn2002

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

'North Africa' is a mighty broad a topic to expect in one title. If BFC ever does go to North Africa I'd expect it would start with Operation Torch - Americans in their Lees and Stuarts., then progress to Tunisia. The 1942 battle of El Alamein would be outside of the title's timeframe. Brits probably wouldn't show up until the first module. That's their usual pattern.

Indeed. A European company would have made other choices. But from an American point of view I understand their choices. Point is that we aren't all American. If you 'do' North Africa you HAVE to include the Brits. It was their victory.