Online magazine posted BF's game screenshot

32 minutes ago, Wicky said:

Unless BF are secretly working with MOD / Dstl.... might explain some of the delays. 😉

Let me correct your quote for you...

BF was secretly working with MOD / Dstl.... that explains some of the delays. 😉

Now that there's some info out there, not so secret any more ;)

Yes, we are working on a customized version of Combat Mission for use within the British military establishment.  For the most part it will be used as an analytical tool, not a training tool in the usual sense.  It's purpose is to experiment with various options and measure the results to better inform decision making.  This is something that Combat Mission is very well set up for due to its underlying "science based" simulation methodology. 

The extra workload is certainly affecting our overall timeline, but the work with Dstl comes in waves and that means we are able to work on other things concurrently without too much interruption of our commercial work.

And before anybody says it, the work with the British MOD does not mean we're moving away from commercial development.  Making games for you guys is still our priority long term.  Defense work isn't predictable or lucrative enough to become our only product line.

Steve

For NZ we did not modify the game engine at all.  Just TO&E, models, and textures.  Think of it as a very nice Module that nobody else gets to see :)  A significant amount of the work we're doing for the British is of a similar nature, and therefore also akin to a Module that you guys can't have access to.  SOME of that content MIGHT be released in commercial form in some way in the future.

What's new with this contract is we are modifying Combat Mission's code to include new features not found in the commercial version.  For the most part the new/modified features are not "interesting" to gamers in any meaningful way and therefore won't ever be seen in by anybody outside of a specific defense contract.  The few features that MIGHT be of interest to you folks MIGHT be moved over at some point, but likely not in the same exact form. 

Steve

Glad to hear that CM is making the rounds through various defense industries. In my opinion that exchange can only be a good thing for BFC, even if it does mean some of the commercial stuff slows down a bit. 

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

For the most part it will be used as an analytical tool, not a training tool in the usual sense.

For what its worth, I know I personally would love to see some additional analytics included in CM, even simple ones such as a label on a vehicle penetration in the after action review screen. Battlefield forensics can be a lot of fun and a great way to learn the game. No idea if that's what you're talking about, or if the analytics you're including for the Brits is all behind the scenes code based stuff. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

With The Bullingdon Buffoon in power perhaps you might want to reconsider your involvement with our government. I'd hate to see heads roll.

nah with him in there who knows, maybe BF will develop a UK versus Euro Army Family.  🤣

2 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Glad to hear that CM is making the rounds through various defense industries. In my opinion that exchange can only be a good thing for BFC, even if it does mean some of the commercial stuff slows down a bit. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

For what its worth, I know I personally would love to see some additional analytics included in CM, even simple ones such as a label on a vehicle penetration in the after action review screen. Battlefield forensics can be a lot of fun and a great way to learn the game. No idea if that's what you're talking about, or if the analytics you're including for the Brits is all behind the scenes code based stuff. 

For sure some would salivate over the forensics stuff we're working on, but there's very little practical use and requires external tools to use.  None of it is in the form of ingame displays as that would be impractical.

Steve

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

With The Bullingdon Buffoon in power perhaps you might want to reconsider your involvement with our government. I'd hate to see heads roll.

Well, for sure I'm now less enthusiastic about the contract being in British Pounds than I was when we started it.  Oh well, nothing to be done about that except hurry up and finish!

Reminds me of when the EUR was new we insisted on contracts in USD.  Not too long after that we wished we had done it the other way around.

Steve

Well, I for one am hurt by all the secrecy and skulduggery I didn't even know about until just now. Therefore, you could make it up to me by releasing a Muj model for SF2.  Yeah, I'd forgive you for a measly Muj model.

Mord.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

For sure some would salivate over the forensics stuff we're working on, but there's very little practical use and requires external tools to use.  None of it is in the form of ingame displays as that would be impractical.

Ahh ok. I'm still excited for any benefits that are developed from the contract that eventually make it through the grapevine to the commercial versions of CM.

2 hours ago, Mord said:

Well, I for one am hurt by all the secrecy and skulduggery I didn't even know about until just now. Therefore, you could make it up to me by releasing a Muj model for SF2.  Yeah, I'd forgive you for a measly Muj model.

Mord.

C'mon man, go big or go home! T-80s!

39 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Ahh ok. I'm still excited for any benefits that are developed from the contract that eventually make it through the grapevine to the commercial versions of CM.

We retain ownership of the code, assets, etc. so in theory some of the stuff could transfer over to commercial products under certain conditions.  It's just that we don't see much utility in doing that for practical reasons.

Oh, and for those who are curious about the business side of things, a lot of resources, persistence and patience is needed to land a defense contract of this nature.  It also takes the right product.  Slitherine has spent years working hard to break into the defense contracting world, Battlefront has spent two decades developing Combat Mission.  Partnering together on military contracts makes sense.

Steve

It a shot from 2018 War and Peace show in sunny Kent - I was watching various wootube vids trying to catch a view a sculpture friend said he made of a life-sized crashed Hurricane for this year's show. (Couldn't find it but then they might have dug a hole, scattered some debris and got away with just that...)