2x2km map recomendation?

Hello, I'm going to do custom maps to play, I search the map sixe recommendation, in a older post many players debated that the game is planing for 2x2km. What do you think? I think that for infantry combat is too much, maybe 1x1km better?.

Finally: can I export a map, creatd by me, in Schock Force 2 to Fortress Italy? I know that many elemets no stay in the both, but I refear if I use only elements that have the two games. I can't try it because I haven't Fortress Italy now.

Thank for answer, you help me a lot :)

Personally I'd start with something a bit smaller.  ;)

I've recently starts making 'Asian' maps for CM:SF2, so I had to figure out my mapping techniques afresh.....I started with a couple of 640m x 640m maps to develop techniques, then did a 1.2km x 1.2km map using some alternative techniques, to widen my 'Asian' repertoire.

I'm currently struggling with a 2.4km x 2km 'Master Map' incorporating almost all of the techniques I've developed.....It's taking months to do.  :unsure:

As for swapping maps back & forth between games, allegedly it can be done (with many caveats), see this thread:

Sadly I couldn't get it work.  :(

But I did download a lot of converted maps from those who could and who were kind enough to make them available.....Most of them worked just fine.  B)

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Personally I'd start with something a bit smaller.  ;)

I've recently starts making 'Asian' maps for CM:SF2, so I had to figure out my mapping techniques afresh.....I started with a couple of 640m x 640m maps to develop techniques, then did a 1.2km x 1.2km map using some alternative techniques, to widen my 'Asian' repertoire.

I'm currently struggling with a 2.4km x 2km 'Master Map' incorporating almost all of the techniques I've developed.....It's taking months to do.  :unsure:

As for swapping maps back & forth between games, allegedly it can be done (with many caveats), see this thread:

Sadly I couldn't get it work.  :(

But I did download a lot of converted maps from those who could and who were kind enough to make them available.....Most of them worked just fine.  B)

I have already created maps for other games, I have no problem due to lack of experience (and this is quite easy). I created a 1x1km map and I think it's pretty good, especially to be able to play with foot infantry.

I've seen new scenario makers become discouraged because their first project was too ambitious (my go-to example is 'downtown Antwerp'). There's no need to make life so difficult! Unless your scenario involves main battle tanks exchanging fire across the length of a huge map there's no need to go gigantic.

After a certain size large maps become counterproductive. A 2km map with foot infantry either means a lot of walking or a lot of waiting.

New scenario designers tend to forget they need to create AI movement orders. A smaller map means you're better able to anticipate the opponent's movement and can create AI orders to counter him. A huge map has too many variables and its too easy to guess wrong. I've seen beautiful huge maps where the designer just gave up trying to create logical AI movement orders.

Edited by MikeyD

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

He visto a nuevos creadores de escenarios desanimarse porque su primer proyecto fue demasiado ambicioso (mi ejemplo es 'el centro de Amberes'). ¡No hay necesidad de hacer la vida tan difícil! A menos que su escenario implique que los tanques de batalla principales intercambien fuego a lo largo de un mapa enorme, no hay necesidad de ser gigantesco .

Después de cierto tamaño, los mapas grandes se vuelven contraproducentes. Un mapa con 2 kilometros de infantería pie o bien significa un montón de pie o un montón de esperar.

Los nuevos diseñadores de escenarios tienden a olvidar que necesitan crear órdenes de movimiento de IA . Un mapa más pequeño significa que puedes anticipar mejor el movimiento del oponente y puedes crear órdenes de IA para contrarrestarlo. Un mapa enorme tiene demasiadas variables y es demasiado fácil adivinar mal. He visto hermosos mapas enormes donde el diseñador simplemente dejó de intentar crear órdenes lógicas de movimiento de IA.

Thanks, I try to do 2x2km but as you said is too much, but I manage very well the 1x1km and I do great plans for the AI in the tests that I done. I'm going to do more maps of 1x1km.